Toobers, suggest me a tube amp :)
Nov 17, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #46 of 58
Mine is the original layout (no rca input/no trs 1/4), though it was slightly revised from the first units ever made (transformer hum, fan noise).

My amp came with Raytheon 6080 tubes. One developed a buzz and I replaced them with some generic 6AS7G tubes I found on eBay, which to my ears are virtually identical in sound.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #48 of 58
I've been using my LDI+(Mullard M8161) with my HD600s for a while now, and it sounds pretty darn good to me. But then again, I believe amplification is overrated..

Nov 18, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using my LDI+(Mullard M8161) with my HD600s for a while now, and it sounds pretty darn good to me. But then again, I believe amplification is overrated..

Well, you picked a bad amp to try and disprove that to yourself. Saying amping is overrated and buying an amp designed for low impedence phones that truly don't need it is straight heresy. It helps and with the price tag being only 100$ it didn't hurt the pocket book much. Granted another 40$ in shipping but still that's dirt cheap.

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #50 of 58
OK, I just bought a Perreaux SXH1 for pretty cheap. They were built around HD600, so that's my high impedance can taken care of. I think I'll go for a Mk1+ for my low impedance cans.

Now, given that the Mk1+ is the lower end version, is this any better than my 2Move and/or D10?

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #51 of 58
put it this way... my mk2 is better to me for my senns than glite with dps, headfive, audio gd c2c. The 1+ if it has a similarity at all to the mk2 should crush the 2move

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #52 of 58
Make sure you aren't getting MK1+ and 1+ confused, as I do from time to time. MK1+ is the portable amp. 1+ is the hybrid desktop amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
put it this way... my mk2 is better to me for my senns than glite with dps, headfive, audio gd c2c. The 1+ if it has a similarity at all to the mk2 should crush the 2move

I too started my amp searches with a Gilmore Lite (no DPS) and found almost no difference between amped and unamped. It turned me off of head-fi for years until I drifted back and saw the LD MKIII and decided to give it a try. The improvement was very noticeable and I started to think, hey maybe at least some of these guys on here know what they are talking about!

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #55 of 58
Since the OP is in Canada, the Japanese Elekit came to mind as an interesting amp worth considering, though above budget. I need to give it another go with Grados, but it was surprisingly good with HD-800s, which are notoriously difficult to get sounding great.

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah yes, I mean the tube hybrid amp. Oops. Anyone want to chime in on comparing that with my portables?

The D10 will power your low impedance cans fine, but I don't find it very good for high/loud listening levels. I have a Millet Hybrid that I use with my Grados, and it sounds truly amazing.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you picked a bad amp to try and disprove that to yourself. Saying amping is overrated and buying an amp designed for low impedence phones that truly don't need it is straight heresy. It helps and with the price tag being only 100$ it didn't hurt the pocket book much. Granted another 40$ in shipping but still that's dirt cheap.

Well I purchased the LDI+ way back when the only headphones I had were audio technicas. And now that I've moved up to HD600s, well I'm still enjoying the music immensely and can't afford to upgrade my amplification anyway. Meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back