Toobers, suggest me a tube amp :)
Nov 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aiks, TWO amps!

David suggested either a MkII or MkIII for me, when I asked him. Any thoughts on differences between these two for my two headphones?

MKII will barely touch low impedance phones. I couldn't even hear the difference at the head-fi meet I went to on my ATH's. The III doesn't appear to be that much of a different story, but I'd take david's opinion over mine.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Ah, but you think the Dot I+ makes a big difference? The AD700 doesn't benefit from amping much though, does it?

My I+ seems to like it. The I+ delivers a LOT more current than the MK II or III does to 32ohm headphones.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #34 of 58
Remember that the mk2, mk3, and mkIV are all the same circuit design with better parts/tubes when you go up the ladder... then the 1+ is different since it is a hybrid. i think it would be nice If you got a mk2 and a 1+, all your bases are covered foe a total of 240 bucks. The mk2 is nice with my 580s using the right tube/dac combination
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember that the mk2, mk3, and mkIV are all the same circuit design with better parts/tubes when you go up the ladder... then the 1+ is different since it is a hybrid. i think it would be nice If you got a mk2 and a 1+, all your bases are covered foe a total of 240 bucks. The mk2 is nice with my 580s using the right tube/dac combination
biggrin.gif

I did not know that about the products. I'm probably going to be going with a MK VII myself, when I go for a high end sennheiser setup. LD Dac, as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #36 of 58
I'm currently thinking MkII, but the 1+ does seem to be geared for low impedance headphones like mine. That said, I have my HD580 to consider. Also, some people have mentioned sensitivity as a variable. But all my headphones seem to have similar sensitivity, despite having different impedances. What gives? Check it:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II
70 Ohm
105 dB

Audio Technica ESW9/10JPN
42 Ohms
102 dB

Head-Direct RE0
64 Ohm
100 dB

Sennheiser HD580
300 Ohms
97 dB

Grado SR325i
32 Ohms
98 dB

Alessandro MS2
32 Ohms
100 dB

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

I'm currently thinking MkII, but the 1+ does seem to be geared for low impedance headphones like mine. That said, I have my HD580 to consider. Also, some people have mentioned sensitivity as a variable. But all my headphones seem to have similar sensitivity, despite having different impedances. What gives? Check it:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II
70 Ohm
105 dB

Audio Technica ESW9/10JPN
42 Ohms
102 dB

Head-Direct RE0
64 Ohm
100 dB

Sennheiser HD580
300 Ohms
97 dB

Grado SR325i
32 Ohms
98 dB

Alessandro MS2
32 Ohms
100 dB

Grado's sound fantastic with I+, BUT, it really really doesn't like my UHP336's.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Huh. Wonder why that is. The 1+ is supposed to go down to 8 Ohms.

I believe it's a question of sensitivity, I hear every fizzle, pop, and ugly nuance that higher impedence and less sensitive cans don't give me.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Huh. Wonder why that is. The 1+ is supposed to go down to 8 Ohms.

The LD 1+ is a hybrid amp, it's tube on the front end and SS transistor on the back end. Such a topology can handle a wide range of loads with ease.

A hybrid would be your best fit with all of those headphones you listed. The Bada PH12 for example is a highly regarded hybrid around these parts but it is out of your budget range unfortunately. Maybe an amp to save up for as a long term goal ?

Peete.

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Ain't MKII and III hybrids too?

No, MKII and MKIII are full tube designs.

I've owned a MKIII and used it with my HD580 and HD600. While it sounded nice compared to the SS amp I had tried before it. I felt there was more to be had. I was confirmed by my purchase of the MKVI balanced tube amp, which is unfortunately 3 1/2 times your budget. The difference between MKIII and unamped was noticeable, but marginal. Going from MKIII to MKVI was like someone hitting me with a baseball bat.

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #43 of 58
The VI seems interesting except for the part where I dont see any single ended outputs

edit: whoops my bad, I guess they do single ended mmmm

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The VI seems interesting except for the part where I dont see any single ended outputs

The new revision of the MKVI notated with a + (MKVI+) has a TRS 1/4 output on the rear along with RCA unbalanced inputs.

Rear%20Black.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back