Toobers, suggest me a tube amp :)
Nov 11, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so EF2 it is if I get a tube amp. But will it be any better than my 2Move and/or D10?

In my opinion, definitely. A home amp with a big power supply will almost always be better than a portable amp, even a good portable. And the EF-2 is a very nice sounding home amp.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the earmax pro a couple of month ago and absolutely floored by the lush and full sound it produces. the EF1 doesn't come half way to this..

Told you so
tongue.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #20 of 58
Personally I'd pass on the EF2. I wasn't impressed with the volume output at all and the internal DAC is crap. It's a good starter amp, but you've already gone through the "starter" phase with your D10 and Corda. Move on to the Little Dot and you'll be happy you did.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #22 of 58
But I thought OTL amps like the MkIII were unsuitable for low impedance headphones like Grados. Now I'm all confused again.

Also, given the price simlarity, I didn't think the MkIII was an upgrade from EF2 at all. Must be because it's not a DAC too, eh?

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #23 of 58
It isn't a simple question of OTL amps being unsuitable for low impedance headphones. The issue is a mismatch between the output impedance of an amp and the impedance of the headphone. An amp with a high output impedance often will not perform very well with a low impedance headphone, and OTL amps very often have a high-ish output impedance, of 20-60 ohms or so, and so headphones with impedances that are also in that range may not sound their best.

Further, low-impedance, high sensitivity headphones are current-hungry buy do not require gobs of output voltage. Many tube amps are best at supplying a lot of voltage but not gobs of current, and as such are a better match for high-impedance (typically lower-sensitivity) headphones.

Separately from that, some tube amps tend to hum with low impedance, high sensitivity headphones, and don't with high-impedance, low(er)-sensitivity headphones, although I've been told (and it seems to make sense) that the main issue here is likely the sensitivity, not the impedance.

I hope that helps.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #24 of 58
Why not give the little dot 1+ a try. Some people actually sold the ld mk2 because the 1+ is better for low impedance cans. They should be fine with hd580s also I guess since they still have a decent amount of power with high impedance cans plus tube and opamp rolling options on it are more than the ef2 since it also handles ef92 type tubes besides ef95/6ak5s

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #25 of 58
I'm happily using a Musical Paradise MP-301 tube amp with lower impedance phones (JVC HA-DX1 (45 ohm) and HA-DX3 (90 ohm)). Garry at Musical Paradise says that he's tested the amp with 35-ohm phones with good success.

Skylab gave this amp a very favourable review. While I'm a tube newb myself, I couldn't disagree with a word in his writeup. Skylab, any reason jonathanjong should not to consider this amp?

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 58
Hm, the $300 amp exceeds my budget, I'm afraid.

I guess the problem is that I use my 325i and HD580 equally much, and would like an amp to suit them both. The MkIII specs say recommended load is 32-600 ohms, but I'm not sure if it'll be suboptimal at that low end. The Grados will be pushing the limits at exactly 32 ohms at any rate.

Does anyone know if SR325i is a headphone that requires "gobs of current"?

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not give the little dot 1+ a try. Some people actually sold the ld mk2 because the 1+ is better for low impedance cans. They should be fine with hd580s also I guess since they still have a decent amount of power with high impedance cans plus tube and opamp rolling options on it are more than the ef2 since it also handles ef92 type tubes besides ef95/6ak5s

I went from an ef2 to a little dot I+ and couldn't be happier. I didn't recommend it because of his 580s but I don't think the ef2 will do a better job on them either.

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I sure like mine, and it's what I'd reccomend if you want to go with grado's, but it's not the best option for the HD580, but I believe it can drive them, not the best, but it is rated to handle them to some extent.

It'll definitely favor the lower impedence Audio Technicas and Grado's to be sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, the $300 amp exceeds my budget, I'm afraid.

I guess the problem is that I use my 325i and HD580 equally much, and would like an amp to suit them both. The MkIII specs say recommended load is 32-600 ohms, but I'm not sure if it'll be suboptimal at that low end. The Grados will be pushing the limits at exactly 32 ohms at any rate.

Does anyone know if SR325i is a headphone that requires "gobs of current"?

I don't seem to notice any loss using mine from the jack as opposed to using it from the amp, nothing seriously amazing is lost. I'd assume that they'd be fine with lower range of current. I'd agree that the LD 3 is the best compromise, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice. I'd talk to davidzhezhe and see about getting the LD III and I+ and seeing if he can chop some off for a bulk order especially on shipping. This might bring you to about 350-360 if you can haggle it down a bit. Plus some of the tubes would be usable in both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back