Toobers, suggest me a tube amp :)
Nov 9, 2009 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
So, it's about time I had a full-sized amp, and I was thinking of getting into tubes.

Now, I will be using the amp primarily with the following headphones:
1. Grado SR325i
2. Sennheiser HD580
And also with:
1. Audio Technica ESW10JPN
2. Audio Technica ESW9
3. Grado MS2i

I currently have, and enjoy the following portable amps:
1. iBasso D10
2. Meier Corda 2Move

I was thinking of getting an amp around the price of a LD MkIII or EF2 (ca. $200). Any idea which amp would suit me? Would any be an upgrade from my current amps?

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 58
If on a budget and you like the tube sound, the Little Dot or Head Direct models are great. I love the imaging that the Little Dot produces and I like the tone of the Head Direct. Either way, you will get a nice tube sound and should be happy.

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 58
Ah, so the MkIII and EF2 are the main candidates then? Any idea which would pair better with my Grado and/or HD580? And would they be upgrades from my current SS amps?

By the way, do these amps just take 3.5mm input (and also USB for EF2)?

</toobnoob>

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, so the MkIII and EF2 are the main candidates then? Any idea which would pair better with my Grado and/or HD580? And would they be upgrades from my current SS amps?

By the way, do these amps just take 3.5mm input (and also USB for EF2)?

</toobnoob>

MKIII takes 1/4" only (and RCA on the back).
The MKIII is an OTL design meaning that it has better output with high impedance headphones and was not especially "designed" to be used with grados.

The stock tubes on the EF2 make it sound very bright to my ears (which would be a bad choice with the grado).

I'd probably suggest the EF2 of these two at this point and suggest you get some other tubes as well.
The EF2 takes RCA (if you just want to use the amp), usb (if you want to use the dac) and has a 1/4" output (which I is standard for all desktops)

edit: if you just intend to use it as an amp I'd probably use the littledot. I've got one at the moment on loan and I use it with an ER4S. No hiss etc. Its not a hugely detailed amp but it sounds "nice".

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 58
Yeah the EF1/EF2 would be veyr good candidates n that price range. Another though is the Little-Dot MKII. It's a good amp and can handle anything well.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 58
Oh dear. If they phase out the EF2, I'll have to go for MkIII. I still don't feel like I have enough info though.

I read that the MkII pairs well with HD580, but it seems MkIII doesn't go well with Grado?

Hmm, why would it be a 1/4" input? Strange. I'll prolly use the RCAs at the back with my iPod or laptop. Or one of my portable DACs. Also, I'm still not clear if these would be better than my current DAC/amps.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a bit of warning if thinking about the EF1 it has been discontinued and they will be a new "EF-5" model coming soon according to the website.

Wow, that's kind of a shame but hopefully the EF5 will be good and affordable which was the big draw for the EF1.

The EF2 looks nice but the power supply does not look as impressive as the EF1.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 58
Agreed - you have a lot of low-impedance headphones on your list - so a tube/SS Hybrid like the EF-1/2/5 might be the best choice.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 58
Get a soldering iron and built your own amp or you can also consider buying a Millet Starving Student amp which is a tube hybrid design. Click on the link for purchasing info.

Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier

Mini_Millet_Front_Glow2.JPG

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 58
the EF1 is a really nice amp and is really bang for the buck, but the sound is not the typical tube sound. I prefer it with my denon D5000 (which is usually prefer SS amps). even with the warmest tubes (mullard) the EF1 still got the SS sound to it.
if you want to go for the extreme tube sound,you should go to different direction IMHO. I got the earmax pro a couple of month ago and absolutely floored by the lush and full sound it produces. the EF1 doesn't come half way to this..

the earmax is an OTL design though... but you have other alternatives as well.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 58
I second the recommendation for a hybrid amp. Makes Grados sound real purdy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back