Too many choices for movie headphones need help picking one
Jun 29, 2011 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

thedeadman

New Head-Fier
I have been searching through the forums trying to find the best headphones for my price range.  I need a good pair of movie headphones..here is the list that I gathered while searching through the forums:

AKG K702

SR850 Professional Studio

Sennheiser HD555

Sennheiser HD 650

Ultrasone PRO 900 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones

beyerdynamic DT 990

Denon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphones

As you can see there are too many choices for a simple guy like me to wrap my head around. I will be buying one of them from amazon. I will need an adapter because my TV does not have a headphone jack and so I am probable going to buy Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor.  One of the reviews on Amazon said that the AKG K702 will go good with it....  Nothing is etched in stone yet. I don't care about leaking.  I was going to get a pair of wireless headphones but just about everyone said that corded headphones sound better than wireless ones. 

The plan is I am going to hook up the Ear Force directly to the Directv HD receiver with an optical cable, Than from that hook up to whatever is the best choice of headphones you guys recommend,  slide them over my head then proceed  to form a mighty smile on my face.

If you guys need anymore information just let me know.  I am not on the internet all the time so I promise I WILL respond when I get a chance.  I have been researching ever since my Sennheiser RS120 926 MHz Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Cradle one side went out. they sounded good to me so I am kind of excited to see what you guys recommend
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 13
I like my HD598 for movies.

The soundstage is amazing

Open

Very comfy for hours and you never notice them both with light weight and soft padding

Long straight cable off of the left side

Great overall sound and here's an example:

I was playing a game, ME2, and an explosion went off and freaked me out. I thought it was real and like in the other room. It was like, "woah".

Also Sony MDR-V6

I'm just thinking that comfort and soundstage and are way better then separation and looks. Any dj or studio headphones will be too heavy and uncomfy for a long listen.

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 13
If you've been happy with the RS 120, here are a couple more choices for you. Do consider Sennheiser's RS 170 and RS 180. These are digital wireless headphones utilising Kleer's uncompressed digital wireless audio transmission. 

You may want to check out the following thread  - www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/443740/sennheiser-rs160-170-180-anyone

Hope this helps! 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 29, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 13
Haha you guys have ADDED more choices for me to choose from!  Leakage does not bother me.  Did that come out right?... Anyway I always thought the more money you spend the better the headphones?

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 13
just get the HD598, or just any used one, so you won't loss too much turn around... Although If leakage is not a problem, maybe just buy a normal Sony theater system, that would make more sense 

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 13
Ultrasone will be your best bet for listening un-amped to movies, although I would look more too the HFI-580/780 as they're more efficient than the Pro series. The DT990 and HD650 would also be exceptional headphones for there soundstage and low-end ability however I wouldn't touch them without a dedicated headphone amp.

Welcome to Head-fi!

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 13
I have tried several headphones AKG Q701 are for me the best . The impresive  sound stage makes me feel like I am sitting in a room with a 7.1 speaker system . They are also forgiving when it comes to bad recordings but yet still detailed , makes for a good combination when watching cable tv. Very light and comfy to boot .

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Haha you guys have ADDED more choices for me to choose from!  Leakage does not bother me.  Did that come out right?... Anyway I always thought the more money you spend the better the headphones?

Not necessarily. It all boils down to preference.  I preferred my Koss UR-40s to the Bose headphones that you can find at Best Buy. (forget the model name.)  I personally found the Sennheiser HD598s to be good overall headphones.  Certainly the most comfortable I've worn so far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back