Tony Bennett Signature Edition Headphones
Sep 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 89

Quote:
when you put a "well known" face to a product people will buy it, because people are stupid and buy into things like this thinking that these people use these products. Over ever I could see Quincy Jones and Tony Bennett using their products hahaha.

Well, I always felt like Koss needed to give these some more attention, but I'm not sure if this is the way to do it! I think from what I read, when these are released you get a free album download or something?
At least now more people will hear them since they're not going to be labeled as a DJ headphone. At least his Signature is on one of their best headphones.

Now maybe they really are not the DJ100 with just a signature, but there's like a 5% chance of that. Maybe they were tweaked by Tony himself to give more bass and a smoother treble
biggrin.gif
Ok, sorry about that..bad joke. DJ100 already has that anyway!

As long as they don't charge a ton more, I don't care about this. Come on Koss, at least give us some memory foam pads!

I sure hope they release another headphone in 2012 that's really new. I want an open headphone from them thats similar to the HD-598/K501 that's just as comfortable.

BTW I don't know why, but I always laugh when I see that picture.
normal_smile%20.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 89
Somehow I doubt if Miles Davis were alive he'd be endorsing headphones let alone headphones with an ugly color trim. Who ever controls his estate should be ashamed of them selves for pimping out his name to make a few bucks. They need to be taken out behind the barn too.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 89
I really like Koss's "low-fi" stuff, the ur15's are like closed Senn HD555's. Sound stage and all. a little lacking in detail but they are on par with the 555
s for $20, I really want to try more Koss stuff.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #19 of 89

Quote:
I really like Koss's "low-fi" stuff, the ur15's are like closed Senn HD555's. Sound stage and all. a little lacking in detail but they are on par with the 555
s for $20, I really want to try more Koss stuff.

Same here. I had a Pro4AAT one time and it was fairly muffled sounding. I bet it's like the DJ100 and needs a ton of burn-in. Who knows..I remember an old review from someone that reviewed it vs the K701 and actually preferred the Pro4AAT. I keep trying to figure out if Koss has any other headphones that use the DJ100 driver, but they won't tell me of course
normal_smile%20.gif
I also tried the MV1 and it was not bad, but I felt the DJ100 was a lot better.

Maybe 10 years from now the DJ100 will be more appreciated..kind of like the Sextett and K501. It seems they might not have been very popular at first, but not 100% sure of this. Of course I should shut up since the DJ100 has only been out since summer of 2010 I believe. DJ100 deserves to be as popular as the Porta Pro and KSC75 IMO. I really do hope Koss starts burning them in more at the factory because my latest 2 have sounded really bad out of the box, but cleared up eventually. It's such an annoying problem that sometimes it's now harder to suggest them.

The UR-55 is also decent, but it's not as clear sounding as it could be. I do prefer it to the Porta Pro, but not the KSC75. It's a fun headphone and similar to the Porta Pro in it's signature maybe. Maybe it even uses the Porta Pro driver? Had a pretty good soundstage from what I remember.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 89
Too bad about it having the same pads. If someone can find round memory foam pads for these that actually sound good, I'd be set for life. There's a tiny chance Koss improved the pads, but highly unlikely. Even if they had more stuffing inside them, it would help! I think it'd be nice if Koss had upgradable pads for these, but probably not a chance. Something like KRKs memory foam pads.

The cable DOES look removable. The one on my DJ100 looks a bit different at the connection going into the actual headphone.

If these really do have a slightly tweaked sound signature it may be worth it. I've been modding the DJ100 a lot and it's easy to do this.

I'll get one when it's released and review it. $150 seems kind of high, but if they're improved, it'll be worth it. I'll see if it REALLY does sound different than my DJ100. Hope so!

Not like I need any more DJ100s if it's the same. I'd actually probably get it just for the removable cable connection.

I can't say it enough, but I'd really like to see from Koss is an open headphone similar to the HD-598/K501's signature. Maybe they had one in the past...

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 89

Quote:
Too bad about it having the same pads. If someone can find round memory foam pads for these that actually sound good, I'd be set for life. There's a tiny chance Koss improved the pads, but highly unlikely. Even if they had more stuffing inside them, it would help! I think it'd be nice if Koss had upgradable pads for these, but probably not a chance. Something like KRKs memory foam pads.

The cable DOES look removable. The one on my DJ100 looks a bit different at the connection going into the actual headphone.

If these really do have a slightly tweaked sound signature it may be worth it. I've been modding the DJ100 a lot and it's easy to do this.

I'll get one when it's released and review it. $150 seems kind of high, but if they're improved, it'll be worth it. I'll see if it REALLY does sound different than my DJ100. Hope so!

Not like I need any more DJ100s if it's the same. I'd actually probably get it just for the removable cable connection.

I can't say it enough, but I'd really like to see from Koss is an open headphone similar to the HD-598/K501's signature. Maybe they had one in the past...

So, you're going to buy them no matter what?

Also, do you like Tony Bennett?
Personally, I've never really liked his voice.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #23 of 89

Quote:
So, you're going to buy them no matter what?

Also, do you like Tony Bennett?
Personally, I've never really liked his voice.

Yes, because I'm stupid and will take one for the team. Well, for the few who have actually heard the DJ100
normal_smile%20.gif

Now I usually don't like to support marketing stuff like this, but there is a chance that these really will sound better. If so, then I will shut my mouth!
The one reason I'd get these is for the removable cable and how the DJ100 is my favorite headphone of all time. Seriously, I don't even like my K501 more, which makes no sense.
If they do sound better or the same I will let everyone know. I know the DJ100's signature very well. You'd think that better pads would have been a better improvement.

The price is kind of a tad high..I figure you're paying for the album, the case and....yes, maybe the signature (not that I care).
Curiosity and how I'm a DJ100 fanboy is what did me in..too bad about the price.

What's nice is how there's actually now another celebrity headphone that isn't a piece of junk..and doesn't cost $300.

Honestly right now I'm NOT convinced they'll sound any different. I guess I'll know soon.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 89
Has anyone heard these yet?,I'm about ready to order them from J&R Music [The Koss Tony Bennett], just wondering if thier actually DJ 100's re packaged?.

Also,how to they compare to the MV 1's?,another headphone I'm buying. I'm not planning on using them on an I pod,but on my home receiver,
thanks!

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #25 of 89
You have the latest serious optimized pro4 in house with the Koss Pro 4 aa 40th anniversary.
The MV1 is bad and a pro4 with different housing. The Pads are good and innovating, but the tune and the drivers. Do you want really a downgrade? They manufacture 40 years old drivers technology in new headphones designs without improvements. 
Do you want really a Koss and I am talking about Koss headphone technology, so get this one
Measurements inside the link.

The pro100 should get optimized QZ99 pads with Velour inlay, better housing geometry and dampening. 
Koss could give us a perfect seal with the good koss musical sound and a clear improvement on the pro4 for every situation.
Yes, it would be a bit expensive for the manufacturer, but good closed headphones are a part of the Koss history. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #26 of 89
Thanks,but the A-250's you suggested have been discontinued,is open air,[I'm looking for closed]and doesn't have favorable reviews.

I've heard mixed reviews about the MVs,but most users are probebly basing those on I Pod sound performance,and probebly haven't given them enough break in time.

I'm an anolog buff,so Koss's are right up my alley,still curious about the Tony Bennett phones,just hoping thier not using DJ 100 drivers,I'll be pissed!,lol
angry_face.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #27 of 89

Quote:
Thanks,but the A-250's you suggested have been discontinued,is open air,[I'm looking for closed]and doesn't have favorable reviews.

I've heard mixed reviews about the MVs,but most users are probebly basing those on I Pod sound performance,and probebly haven't given them enough break in time.

I'm an anolog buff,so Koss's are right up my alley,still curious about the Tony Bennett phones,just hoping thier not using DJ 100 drivers,I'll be pissed!,lol
angry_face.gif

Of course they're using the DJ100 drivers. Why wouldn't they be? They look the same despite the new cable. They even have the same specs. There are many things internally they could have done though to tweak the sound.

MV1 like the DJ100 may need many, many hours to be at it's best. I liked it somewhat, but felt it was a step down from the DJ100. A little less clear and it had even MORE forward mids. I saw a frequency graph for it once and there's an even bigger upper mids peak than the DJ100.
Now I would like to try the Pro4AAAT someday to see how it compares to the DJ100.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #28 of 89
I've been using the Pro 4aa's since 1978,and remember my first pair had liquid filled pads [some sort of oil, possibly mineral],and were easily removable unlike todays models.

The pro x's had a slight improvement in sound,were labeled ''digital ready'',but were cheaply built,and easily fell apart. I think the Pro 4aaaT's use the same drivers as the x's.

All the same,the Pro 4 aa's still have incredible sound for thier price, considering the fact that this model and design is over 40 years old.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #29 of 89
I feel that the PRO4AAA and PRO4AAAT's sound really good for what Koss is asking. I own both and I actually prefer the vintage PRO4AAA over the newer titanium model. The newer model is really nice but can be quite bright. See the titanium makes the drivers too rigid and they sound very bright. Once the titanium loosens up they sound quite nice and smooth with powerful bass.

I have the PRO4 (original model) and every "A" version of the phones (A, AA, AAA, AAT, AAAT). i am quite partial to the PRO4AA and PRO4AAA, but their titanium counterparts are quite nice as well.

tdockweiler, I cans end you the PRO4AAAT to listen to if you wish. It's quite nice for what I paid.  

Quote:
I've been using the Pro 4aa's since 1978,and remember my first pair had liquid filled pads [some sort of oil, possibly mineral],and were easily removable unlike todays models.

The pro x's had a slight improvement in sound,were labeled ''digital ready'',but were cheaply built,and easily fell apart. I think the Pro 4aaaT's use the same drivers as the x's.

All the same,the Pro 4 aa's still have incredible sound for thier price, considering the fact that this model and design is over 40 years old.

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #30 of 89
Given what Tony Bennett has been quoted saying recently, this may not improve Koss's sales as much as they think.  Seems to me they're scraping bottom trying to recover from near-bankruptcy.  I cringe every time I think of my Koss stock going to pay for $20 million in clothes in that woman's warehouse.
mad.gif

(Now it's $34 Million?):
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2010/07/26/daily24.html?page=all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back