To those hating the Vibes
Apr 23, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So uh what gen then is the chrome ones?

According to Val, the Flashback Chromes were the only model which did not enter into the modified production process that began with the creation of the La Mochas and the Red Roxx. If that's true, the Flashback Chromes should all be first-gen production models, as should the original Gunmetal Blacks...

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #32 of 56
Vibes is my first expensive headphones. I really like it at first and then I bought sr60 and listened to more headphones. Now I know what I do like and do not like. Vibes is not a bad headphones is just not for me anymore.

I gave it to my wife. she loves it.

Apr 23, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #34 of 56
mdarnton .....you sound like a viable volunteer for being one of the first to drill into his Vibes. Please report your results before weeks' end.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk
sorry guys, but i think if an iem needs an amp to shine, it ain't worth it. i have no problem with the vibes but ****, if you're going to defend them at least do it right...

I'm not "defending the vibes", im just posting my experience on how to boost its performance. I apologize if my post have wrongfully defended them.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #36 of 56
If someone can point me as to EXACTLY where to drill, I will. Since there's already one vent hole, it seems like the position of the second ought to be carefully considered.

Can you tell that having burned them in, I still think they're too floppy/boomy in the bass to use?

Apr 23, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #37 of 56
they're highly dependent (particularly bass - sounds like you could use a (slightly) smaller tip on yours......Burn-in on these only takes 16-20 hours.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #38 of 56
sorry been so busy lately everyone, the work WILL show in our new products which start rolling out soon.

here is where you'd want to drill (small!), as the original non-production vibes had a hole actually near here but hidden under the cosmetic ring.

vibe drill point.jpg

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry been so busy lately everyone, the work WILL show in our new products which start rolling out soon.

here is where you'd want to drill (small!), as the original non-production vibes had a hole actually near here but hidden under the cosmetic ring.

vibe drill point.jpg

So what number drill do you think would do the trick and what can one expect from this operation?

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #42 of 56
Like many others have reported re: Vibes --MY VIBE CABLES TOTALLY FAILED AND FELL APART AT THE PLUG, after 6 weeks of careful use. I don't want a replacement . . . why would I want to replace a defective product with a defective product?. I want a refund. I wonder if V-Moda will do a refund. I think a replacement will just fall apart again.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #44 of 56
OK, the deed is done:

vibes.jpg

After drilling the first one, and realizing that the sudden plunge of the bit through the last of the metal (which I was trying to prevent, but couldn't) could have hit something inside, for the second hole I wrapped masking tape around the bit as a depth stop, which worked fine. I also used a little end router instead of a drill bit, since that's what I had in the same diameter as the little hidden breathing hole on the other side. The photo is immediately after drilling--I didn't try to clean anything up first.

The verdict: less volume, which is fine--there's still more than enough--and a very distinct improvement in the bass. There's still lots there, but it's no longer thuddy and loose. A real improvement, and now they're listenable! Thanks, Val.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A real improvement, and now they're listenable! Thanks, Val.

Cool, I love seeing mods. But end results and your preference may vary. Most of us in R&D prefer them without the hole there.

Another mod is waiting to be discovered
smily_headphones1.gif
. One mod a professor of audio engineering sent me is to put a hole in the fitting itself. I am not sure where, I'll try to dig up the email. Also, there is another mod imminent that nobody's mentioned yet.

Well, off to work again on the new stuff...

peace,

val

Users who are viewing this thread

Back