To those hating the Vibes
Apr 21, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. It was just making it louder (duh), and it was pretty much everything unamped + more oomph. Sweet, now I can listen to the "percussion" better.
rolleyes.gif

I disagree. Amping greatly opened up some of the congestion the Vibes had. If you posted the idea of having an amp just to get "louder" sound on the amp forum, you'd be bashed.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a shame they changed the sound signature on these. Wish there were more folks here who have 1st and 2nd gen Vibes. It's like listening to two different phones...

Ply

honestly i tried my friends gunmetal black's. they sound exactly like my mocha's did. correct me if i'm wrong but apparently the gunmetal blacks are "different" than the la mochas?

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly i tried my friends gunmetal black's. they sound exactly like my mocha's did. correct me if i'm wrong but apparently the gunmetal blacks are "different" than the la mochas?

No it's not the "flavor" but the time of production. My Gunmetal's were from the very first batch made. I wrote my review based off of those first gen Vibe's. The Redroxx I have are from a much later batch, and there has indeed been a significant change to the sound signature. So much so that it's like listening to a different series of phone. I would call them Vibes Darth Vader style. Bass and darkness overwhelm the mids and highs. Indeed I tested them with ipod eq set to bass reduced and they sounded much more like the original Vibes...

Ply

Apr 23, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #21 of 56
There's so much difference of opinion on these, it's too bad we can't all get together in one place and listen to everyone else's and see if they all sound the same. I'm beginning to suspect they don't.

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I most be a freak (ces't chick for those old enough to remember) but I really dig my V-Moda's. I think they are worth every penny I paid. Just to make sure, we are talking about:

vmodavibe.jpg

I prefer mine with the foamies!
eggosmile.gif

foam640x480.jpg

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 56
I am sure they don't. Small differences internally with the accoustic material used will alter the sound. QC has to be very high to maintain a standard. I wonder how much even the humidity plays in changing the response of the driver and packing material in such a small invironment.

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer mine with the foamies!
eggosmile.gif

foam640x480.jpg

Very cool. I'm a biflange guy but I would love to try foamies. What brand are those please and where did you get them?

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool. I'm a biflange guy but I would love to try foamies. What brand are those please and where did you get them?

Those are the UE foamies.

Apr 23, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure they don't. Small differences internally with the accoustic material used will alter the sound. QC has to be very high to maintain a standard. I wonder how much even the humidity plays in changing the response of the driver and packing material in such a small invironment.

I think it's actually more substantial than this. My vibes are open back, that is, there is a tiny space between the little turbine-shaped backing and the main housing, anchored at only three points. It's difficult to see if you're not looking for it. Val wrote that this meant mine were pre-production vibes, but I suspect a lot of the early batch had the same construction. Opening the back seems to cut the bass and clarify the mids and highs against the boomier but less refined closed-back version. Ply or anyone else, could you inspect yours to see if the "good" ones all have this in common?

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #29 of 56
I absolutely agree that there sound is greatly different betweent eh 1sy and 2nd gen Vibes.
I own the first production Gunmetal and the 2nd gen RedRoxx.
Much as i adore the looks of RedRoxx, the sound pales in comparison to the 1st Gen.
Even my mom shook her head glumly when i exchanged the Gunmetal she was using to the Red Roxx (so i can have the Gunmetal back for myself!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back