To those hating the Vibes
Apr 25, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #46 of 56
mdarnton should now be called intrepid
smily_headphones1.gif
He dared risk his Vibes so that we would know if it would work.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, I love seeing mods. But end results and your preference may vary. Most of us in R&D prefer them without the hole there.

Another mod is waiting to be discovered
smily_headphones1.gif
. One mod a professor of audio engineering sent me is to put a hole in the fitting itself. I am not sure where, I'll try to dig up the email. Also, there is another mod imminent that nobody's mentioned yet.

Well, off to work again on the new stuff...

peace,

val

In between developing cool new stuff . . . Is someone at V-Moda ever going to address the design flaws of the sharp edged all metal plug on the Vibe cables that many on this board have reported failing after short periods of use?

My cables Vibes also failed at the jack after around 2 months of careful use.

Or if V-Moda refuses to acknowledge there's a problem there, here's one customer who thinks a slick new feature on a new V-MODA IEM would be USER REPLACEABLE CABLES. Maybe they could be offered in various colors. Then I guess one could just keep buying new cables all the time, and not have to fuss with the full expense of buying full IEMS every time the cables fail, plus have the added benefit of being able to have your new cables in new avante-garde colors. Could be a money-maker, too.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #48 of 56
I'm wondering if smaller holes would keep the volume level about the same and give it a bit more airiness. That would be hard to do with a drill so i wish it would come from the factory this way.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #49 of 56
For what it's worth, I'm reading the little screened hidden hole as 1.0mm, and my new one is 1.1mm The drop in volume isn't enough to worry about, though--I was noting it because it's there and observable. They're still plenty loud.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #50 of 56
I can safely say I would not have tried that with my Vibes. That is seriously a big risk, but very cool that it worked. I wonder if anyone else will be trying this any time soon? I actually tried using some foam over the nozzles of the Vibes to cut back on some of the bass, it didn't help too much, but the foam is a little thin, I might need to try something thicker. As for the cables, my still aren't showing any sign of wear.

The Vibes have definitely gone back to being my primary phones, at least until I can get some proper full sized ones or foamies for the iM716, but listening to them again makes me think about what is in store with the upcoming V-Moda IEMs. I can't wait to hear some impressions of them.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #52 of 56
The first thing I think about in drilling a rounded surface such as theirs is the drill bit skidding and the resultant marring. That is now the only thing that would possibly deter me. - and anchoring the Vibe in-place while I work, without causing any exterior damage.........gotta keep these babies looking pretty.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #53 of 56
It's not that difficult: since the metal is aluminum, the bit grabbed immediately and didn't slip around at all. Though I had fancy tools that I could have used, I just used an electric drill, and held everything in my hands, and it didn't seem scary.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #54 of 56
Okay, after thinking about it, I guess I might try this. I want to see just how far these can be pushed. Maybe when more mods come out I'll try them along with this.

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #55 of 56
Thanks mdarton...a true headfier!!!
I find that using my Basso T1 with the bass boost on gives great low end to the Vibes. in fact the basso improves the mids also...nice synergy in this combo!

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #56 of 56
The small port in the front of the Vibes has some dampening material. I noticed that one monitor was much easier to blow threw than the other so I took a needle and moved the material internally away from both holes, which allows for a much easier flow of air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back