To the folks that use a DDC for i2s connection... What is your experience?
Nov 2, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #46 of 147
Now that this is settled, I'm going to start studying external clocks... And what is the best one I can get for my rig 😉

But first I need to be certain that I'm not adding noise with adding other stuff to the chain, this is my concern

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #47 of 147
Now that this is settled, I'm going to start studying external clocks... And what is the best one I can get for my rig 😉

But first I need to be certain that I'm not adding noise with adding other stuff to the chain, this is my concern
That is a very good idea!
I found out only recently, that my streamer (Auralic Aries 1st gen) has more noise/jitter on its USB output into the DDC, when the streamer's WiFi is enabled.
The DDC is not able to completely filter out this additional noise on the USB input, resulting in slightly worse SQ.

I added an Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ between streamer and DDC, seems to do a little good and doesn't cost too much.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #48 of 147
That is a very good idea!
I found out only recently, that my streamer (Auralic Aries 1st gen) has more noise/jitter on its USB output into the DDC, when the streamer's WiFi is enabled.
The DDC is not able to completely filter out this additional noise on the USB input, resulting in slightly worse SQ.

I added an Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ between streamer and DDC, seems to do a little good and doesn't cost too much.
Will add this to my list of things to consider, thank you 😊

Nov 2, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #49 of 147
Arya's already spacious and holographic soundstage has become an even bigger 3dimensional cloud of detailed and weighty sounds. New melodic and rhythmic narratives are emerging with such smoothness and impact. The acustic landscape is way better composed.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I was expecting at best marginal micro improvements... But it's so much more than that. So much more. And I know it will only get better and better.

Of course if you have a 3000$ DAC, maybe a DI-20 won't do much for you. But for the Draco and my noisy Asus? Uff, miles better.

Clearly my setup was under performing till now. This is a whole new level. I'm psyched tbh.

Life is good🥲 👍.

This is what I was looking for, friends.

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #50 of 147
Yes, as they say, noise can't be heard when it's there, but boy if you notice if it's not!

This may be the best addition to my chain, the improvements are quite tangible and I'm falling in love once again. I truly believe this is not snake oil at all.

And frankly objectivist are starting to become like a cult with that pseudo-skeptic behavior of worshipping the measurements gods.

Yes, there is snake oil in this hobby for sure, but I think this sterile approach is detrimental and equally misleading.
I can finally say that DDC is incredibly useful to enhance the performance of a DAC that is good, like the Draco, but can be better.
I've found over the years, whenever someone cries snake oil, its because thhey're not bright enough to understand whats going on.

And you can tell by the whining of those same people who say a ddc or master clock does nothing or degrades the sound, how little they know / poor their hearing is.

When I hear such a drastic difference with the addition of the ddc or master clock, I'm puzzled how someone can say these things.

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #51 of 147
whenever someone cries snake oil

Original Snake Oil originated in China from the water snake, and was highly effective in treating inflammation, which is what they primarily used it for. It wasn't until America started trying to produce it from rattlesnakes and marketing it as a cure all for everything that the negative connotation developed.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #52 of 147
Of course if you have a 3000$ DAC, maybe a DI-20 won't do much for you. ...
... at least with Denafrips equipment, a DDC did lots for my 3k$ DAC...
Mr. Beekhuyzen even states that the ultra-$$$$$ Chord DAVE DAC somehow reacts in SQ according to the digital input fed.

So: Even big $$$$$ DACs are most likely never completely immune to "dirty" input.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #53 of 147
The audio-gd di20 is an excellent device, maybe the best ddc available.

Based your equipment, I think you'll see a very noticeable improvement in the overall sound quality improvement with the addition of a ddc.

The i2s connection makes a big difference. The format in which data is sent is a superior method of transferring audio to the dac.

I was curious to see what the difference is with and without the ddc as well as the coax vs i2s.

I used an audioquest carbon coax vs the avplay i2s from ddc to dac to compare theh sound quality and the i2s won by a landslide.
Thank you, you were right, very noticeable indeed.

Sorry guys if it seems I won an Oscar 😭but stuff like this make me emotional. Hearing good music with great equipment is my (our but you get what I'm saying) form of self medication.
Original Snake Oil originated in China from the water snake, and was highly effective in treating inflammation, which is what they primarily used it for. It wasn't until America started trying to produce it from rattlesnakes and marketing it as a cure all for everything that the negative connotation developed.
Ah nice, didn't know this 😅

I've found over the years, whenever someone cries snake oil, its because thhey're not bright enough to understand whats going on.

And you can tell by the whining of those same people who say a ddc or master clock does nothing or degrades the sound, how little they know / poor their hearing is.

When I hear such a drastic difference with the addition of the ddc or master clock, I'm puzzled how someone can say these things.
Completely agree 👍💯

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #54 of 147
Mr. Beekhuyzen even states that the ultra-$$$$$ Chord DAVE DAC somehow reacts in SQ according to the digital input fed.

So: Even big $$$$$ DACs are most likely never completely immune to "dirty" input.
Well, all the better then👌

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #55 of 147
... Mr. Beekhuyzen even states that the ultra-$$$$$ Chord DAVE DAC somehow reacts in SQ according to the digital input fed.

Never actually met someone that could sit through one of Beekhuyzens videos.

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #56 of 147

Coming from reddit, it's refreshing how many people here think like me about these issues. The objectivism on reddit is obscene, to the point I started posting here more cause at least there are people on every side of the fence and a lot of you are not convinced that all you need is an apple dongle and everything else is snake oil. Sometimes over there it feels like I'm going nuts hearing differences in every single audio device I have.

Then again, I'm a cognitive psychologist, I know psychoacoustics, I know placebo very well, I know the power of a belief in something, I know defence mechanisms like rationalisation and coping mechanism after an expensive purchase, but relying only on measurable variables instead of subjective experience, can become a very dangerous form of pseudo skepticism which is one of the problem of our time. Especially in a field in which the fundamental experience at the end is music enjoyment.

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #57 of 147
Ok, maybe volume matched and ABX tested a lot of the differences might not be there, but for me, there is change in sound and this is my subjective experience and quite frankly I'm sincerely not interested in losing my mind trying to prove that's all bs. I simply don't have ideological positions to defend. I ust want a supremely good audio experience, I want to have fun, and it seems I'm getting there

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #58 of 147
Coming from reddit, it's refreshing how many people here think like me about these issues. The objectivism on reddit is obscene, to the point I started posting here more cause at least there are people on every side of the fence and a lot of you are not convinced that all you need is an apple dongle and everything else is snake oil. Sometimes over there it feels like I'm going nuts hearing differences in every single audio device I have.

Then again, I'm a cognitive psychologist, I know psychoacoustics, I know placebo very well, I know the power of a belief in something, I know defence mechanisms like rationalisation and coping mechanism after an expensive purchase, but relying only on measurable variables instead of subjective experience, can become a very dangerous form of pseudo skepticism which is one of the problem of our time. Especially in a field in which the fundamental experience at the end is music enjoyment.

Reddit is frustrating, at best. The majority is too inexperienced and closed minded to give any objective opinion when it comes to something outside of what they've been told. If you're told, repeatedly, that an Apple dongle and Topping A90 measure perfectly and are all you need, you start sharing that information as it it were gospel. There are a few users on there that get it, or are at least open to the possibilities that they don't know everything, but it's few and far in between.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #59 of 147
Ok, maybe volume matched and ABX tested a lot of the differences might not be there, but for me, there is change in sound and this is my subjective experience and quite frankly I'm sincerely not interested in losing my mind trying to prove that's all bs. I simply don't have ideological positions to defend. I ust want a supremely good audio experience, I want to have fun, and it seems I'm getting there

Differences with DDC will not be huge, but noticeable especially with better transducers. Blacker background, better imaging and slightly smoother sound in my case. Best approach is to start with the clean source, but we all love the convenience of computer.

Many believe that if you have galvanic usb you are immune from all sorts of noise coming to your DAC. This is not true with Qutest and even far more expensive DAC's can be sensitive to noisy sources.
haven't explored external clocks, but somehow have little interests there. With my current setup it's just not worth to chase marginal improvements as it would require quite big investments. Less time spend chasing gear means more time left for music.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #60 of 147
I think with this last addition, I can rest a bit and just enjoy the music. External clock, yes, I'll look into it, but without the urge to buy anything. Maybe new headphones somewhere near Christmas, but as far as gear goes I am quite satisfied. Happy even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back