To the folks that use a DDC for i2s connection... What is your experience?
Oct 22, 2023 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 147

JAAX

Head-Fier
Hey there everyone, I'm pondering if acquiring a DDC for my Musician Draco DAC to be able to use the i2s port would increase - even slightly - the overall sound quality. I read somewhere that Draco benefits from the i2s and so am curious about what is your experience with a digital to digital converter used for this purpose.

Right now I am quite happy with my chain, laptop and DAC are connected via USB (through a Neo Oyade Class S) and I am super satisfied with how things sound, but I'm wondering if it's worth adding a DDC in order to use the i2s.

If you have experience or suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thank you

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 147
I've used two different ddcs with two different dacs over I2S. The difference was noticeable but subtle in both cases. My source is an Asus Strix Scar QHD, pretty noisy.

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 147
Many thanks, do you think splurging in a DDC is a dumb move? Will a cheap SMSL DDC suffice?

Thanks again

PS. May I ask what kind of DDC did you use?

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 147
I used a Denafrips Iris and an Audio GD DI-20HE. I think so, but impossible to say if you'll hear an improvement without trying it, unfortunately. I wouldn't spend a ton... and try to buy from someplace you can return it to.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 147
Yes of course, Amazon is the way on this case, thank you!

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 147
The audio-gd di20 is an excellent device, maybe the best ddc available.

Based your equipment, I think you'll see a very noticeable improvement in the overall sound quality improvement with the addition of a ddc.

The i2s connection makes a big difference. The format in which data is sent is a superior method of transferring audio to the dac.

I was curious to see what the difference is with and without the ddc as well as the coax vs i2s.

I used an audioquest carbon coax vs the avplay i2s from ddc to dac to compare theh sound quality and the i2s won by a landslide.

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 147

Based your equipment, I think you'll see a very noticeable improvement in the overall sound quality improvement with the addition of a ddc.

The i2s connection makes a big difference. The format in which data is sent is a superior method of transferring audio to the dac.

I was curious to see what the difference is with and without the ddc as well as the coax vs i2s.

I used an audioquest carbon coax vs the avplay i2s from ddc to dac to compare theh sound quality and the i2s won by a landslide.
Thank you, very helpful

Oct 22, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 147

I might invest in an used di20 that I've just found on a local e-commerce seller here in Italy. Thanks again, I think it would pair well with audio-GD master 19 and Draco

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 147
I don't think you need to go as high as the DI20 to see if it would make a difference or not. The Matrix X-Spdif has I2S out... here, the old model can usually be found for $250 USD. I know someone that has one and had better success with it than the Denafrips Iris.

Oct 22, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 147
I was enticed by the fact that it was an audio gd product lol... The synergy and shieeet ehehe

Will look into the matrix x-spdif for sure

PS. Seller is asking 510 euros, I proposed 410, let's see if he is game... In the meantime I'll do my due diligence and search the matrix x-spdif around

Thanks mate

Oct 22, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 147
I don't think you need to go as high as the DI20 to see if it would make a difference or not. The Matrix X-Spdif has I2S out... here, the old model can usually be found for $250 USD. I know someone that has one and had better success with it than the Denafrips Iris.
X-spdif 2 at 382 euros on headphonics... Might as well wait for the seller reply... If he does not like my offer, I'll probably lean towards the matrix x

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 147
You're welcome--and that price on the AGD seems good. It rarely comes up for sale used in the US. I'm sure it's overengineered vs. the Matrix.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 147
You're welcome--and that price on the AGD seems good. It rarely comes up for sale used in the US. I'm sure it's overengineered vs. the Matrix.
Seller hasn't accepted my proposal... Matrix x-spdif could be a better solution now.

Can I ask you what would you add to my main setup if you were me?

Laptop Asus (F541U)> Neo Oyaide Class S USB > Musician Draco R-2R > Vovox Sonorous Direct S (XLR) > audio-gd Master 19 > XLR cable and HP of choice (and 2 Isotek - Premiere and Initium - power cord and a Dynavox power strip)

I mean, preamp I think adds noise and could potentially be detrimental to the overall result, a DDC can relatively improve the overall performance, do you think that the Asus USB port can be a source of noise? Is it wise to use a PCI express USB to enhance the USB performance? Not that I need any of that, my chain as of right now is amazing to my ears, but you know we always strive for better performances.

My conclusion is that DDC right now is the marginal improvement I'm looking for, any input is appreciated.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 147
@dougms3 ?

Personally, I think a ddc should add some improvement. My laptop is also an Asus but a Strix Scar. Even though I got my setup to a point where I didn't hear noise, a ddc still improved it. Either that or I would invest in another pair of headphones.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #15 of 147
@dougms3 ?

Personally, I think a ddc should add some improvement. My laptop is also an Asus but a Strix Scar. Even though I got my setup to a point where I didn't hear noise, a ddc still improved it. Either that or I would invest in another pair of headphones.
Yes of course the question is extended to @dougms3 too... Well I just bought Arya Organic so I need to know them well before I buy another headphone, otherwise I feel too much of a consoomer lol, and I'm pretty impressed with them, everyday they open up a bit to my brain so in the HP department I would wait a bit. My question is: headphones aside (which I very much like and think they are amazing), is there anything I can do to improve the SQ? And yes I will probably go with a DDC.

Thanks a lot 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back