To the folks that use a DDC for i2s connection... What is your experience?
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #16 of 147
In Cables, power tweaks, etc. there's a thread Doug started called AliExpress cables. But it quickly grew beyond cables to include caps, grounding boxes, fuses, master clocks, tape.

I have not explored even a fraction of it, but some members have reported great improvements in their setups. And sometimes no improvement. But maybe you might find it interesting to see what kind of stuff is out there.

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #17 of 147
@dougms3 ?

Personally, I think a ddc should add some improvement. My laptop is also an Asus but a Strix Scar. Even though I got my setup to a point where I didn't hear noise, a ddc still improved it. Either that or I would invest in another pair of headphones.
PC or laptop is not the optimal source for audio as it will always inject alot of noise into the audio signal. Its unavoidable. Components like the cpu, ram, gpu, etc, generate noise and the motherboard spreads it around like a covid super spreader.

Even the high end motherboards that are designed for audio with premium components can only reduce it.

https://sotm-audio.com/sotm_shop/in...m75_external_power_input/256-tx_usbhubin-none

On top of that each device ddc, dac, amp, generates their own noise and injects that into the audio signal. So it is not possible to eliminate noise completely from any system. Just my theory but I think once the noise is injected into the audio signal, it becomes a part of it and trying to remove it afterwards will negatively affect the music. The ddc helps to reduce some of the noise, one of the ways is by converting the data into a format that is less prone to noise injection.

cdacosta is doing some interesting stuff with diy ground boxes that I may look into trying in the future.

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #18 of 147
Yes of course the question is extended to @dougms3 too... Well I just bought Arya Organic so I need to know them well before I buy another headphone, otherwise I feel too much of a consoomer lol, and I'm pretty impressed with them, everyday they open up a bit to my brain so in the HP department I would wait a bit. My question is: headphones aside (which I very much like and think they are amazing), is there anything I can do to improve the SQ? And yes I will probably go with a DDC.

Thanks a lot 👍
Unfortunately for my bank account, there are alot of these tweaks that work.

There are various types of feet for your devices that will help prevent microvibrations which if I didn't test it out myself, wouldn't believe it affected the sound.

There are some good finds in cables as well from AE, that you can find in the thread.

Fuses are another rabbit hole.

I've found that once you have a capable enough system, these tweaks are easily noticeable and can make your system sound like a much more expensive system.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #19 of 147
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #20 of 147
And one of the main benefits of the ddc, in particular the di20, is the ability to connect it to a master clock like the lhy audio ock-2.

This will yield significant gains in SQ that I don't think anyone can deny unless they're not right in the head.

This is the master clock thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/master-clock-talk.228428/page-192#post-17786940
Thank you, yes I was researching master clocks, that is probably down the line the next component I'm going to add... It's super interesting...and yes the fuses are another rabbit hole, I often see people with DACs modded with a particular fuse. For now, given that I don't want to lose my mind trying to reduce noise (and you may be right about the fact that once is in the signal, trying to remove it would be detrimental) but just optimize the system I got, I'll start as I already stated by adding a good DDC, one that doesn't break the bank... Then from there we'll see.

what kind of interconnects do you use from the di-20 he to the the Master clock?

Oct 27, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #21 of 147
I mean, preamp I think adds noise and could potentially be detrimental to the overall result, a DDC can relatively improve the overall performance, do you think that the Asus USB port can be a source of noise? Is it wise to use a PCI express USB to enhance the USB performance?
If you want to test whether you need DDC, get $50 Douk Audio U2 Pro, add to it some external 5V regulated power supply you may already have. It will redirect ground loops from your laptop. It may stay with your Draco for longer if you upgrade it with ultra-low noise oscilators.

There is a thread Douk Audio U2 Pro poorman DDC, it will help.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #22 of 147
I decided for the Audio GD DI-20 yesterday, I'm going all in ehehe, found it used mint for 450 euros, couldn't resist. Thank you tho, will shure look in to this tread for my in-depth audio knowledge!

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #23 of 147
If you want to test whether you need DDC, get $50 Douk Audio U2 Pro, add to it some external 5V regulated power supply you may already have. It will redirect ground loops from your laptop. It may stay with your Draco for longer if you upgrade it with ultra-low noise oscilators.

There is a thread Douk Audio U2 Pro poorman DDC, it will help.
Btw great quote in your signature, very true 👍

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #24 of 147
Thank you, yes I was researching master clocks, that is probably down the line the next component I'm going to add... It's super interesting...and yes the fuses are another rabbit hole, I often see people with DACs modded with a particular fuse. For now, given that I don't want to lose my mind trying to reduce noise (and you may be right about the fact that once is in the signal, trying to remove it would be detrimental) but just optimize the system I got, I'll start as I already stated by adding a good DDC, one that doesn't break the bank... Then from there we'll see.

what kind of interconnects do you use from the di-20 he to the the Master clock?
I use the avplay i2s cable.

I hope to get the tubulus concentus i2s at some point in the future along with their clock cable.

Oct 28, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #25 of 147
And I used a Transparent Audio HDMI for I2S, when I had that setup. Previously an AudioQuest Carbon and liked the Transparent Audio better.

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #26 of 147
I'm going with Ricable Supreme for i2s, will see how it goes

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #27 of 147
I'm going with Ricable Supreme for i2s, will see how it goes
I can really, really also recommend the avplay i2s as dougms3 did.
At least with my Denadrips DDC and DAC combo it is vastly superior in SQ to an Audioquest Carbon HDMI, which costs 2-3x more.
See also https://www.head-fi.org/threads/den...pdate-12th-anniv.967375/page-65#post-17720080
Cheers, and report back how it goes!
BTW, my DDC (Gaia) seems to benefit from being fed using an Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ in the USB out of my streamer. YMMV

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #28 of 147
Will do! Quite excited tbh, I think the Draco will benefit from this

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #29 of 147
Need to look into this avplay it seems 👀

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #30 of 147
Need to look into this avplay it seems 👀
Get one at AliExpress, will cost you less than 80 EUR, shipping of mine took around 2 weeks to Germany.
The difference to mentioned Audioquest HDMI cable was night & day, no BS.

Only thing you might consider is giving the seller the "correct" pinout scheme. I might be wrong, but I believe this cable does not have all standard HDMI lines wired, only the needed ones for i2s.
Since i2s over HDMI is not really a standard, the seller wants to know your needed pin layout.

In my case it was easy, since both devices (DDC and DAC) come from the same company, using the same pin layout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back