To the folks that use a DDC for i2s connection... What is your experience?
Oct 29, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #31 of 147
I would definitely bypass the AQ Carbon cable. Even the Transparent Audio was better and cheaper.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #32 of 147
The Supreme from Ricable was recommended to me by the seller of the DI-20, we sorta became friends after the purchase lmao, He's 61 and he knows very well Andrea Ricci, the audio gd official Italian importer, who said the Ricable was a very good option. I think I'll give the avplay a shot nonetheless in the - maybe not so distant - future, given the praise from you guys

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #33 of 147
By the way @JAAX ... I'm guessing you like some bass based on what you own. If you have the chance, try out an ISN EST50 and Denon D7200, if you haven't already.

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #34 of 147
Ahaha yes you are right I love textured and extended and amazing bass, I almost pulled the trigger on the Denons some years ago, I know they do bass very well indeed. re the Penons, need to try a pair, see a lot of headfiers having Penons, I just don't know what their house sound is like at all... If I have the opportunity, I will snatch a pair used

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #35 of 147
By the way, now that I can focus on headphones only cause the gear is pretty neatly piled up with this last DDC purchase, I would try to grab a pair of Rosson Rad-0s, or maybe Atriums Closed, or at some point the phi 1266. I need to say though, the Aryas are spectacular in the bass department, they've this thick bass that's pretty dopey, the more I listen the more I like it

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #36 of 147
By the way @JAAX ... I'm guessing you like some bass based on what you own. If you have the chance, try out an ISN EST50 and Denon D7200, if you haven't already.
Why you choose the 7200 and not the 9200? How's the 9200 in the bass department?

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #37 of 147
Why you choose the 7200 and not the 9200? How's the 9200 in the bass department?

D9200 is amazing, one of my favorite headphones overall. I would consider it more neutral, though it takes a bass shelf well. I would put the D9200 against the Stellia, Stealth, TH900, etc. any day. And I do like it much more than the D7200.

But... if you just want that hard hitting bass and can sacrifice some technicalities, the D7200 is the champ there. And not sibilant like the TH900. It's a mid tier headphone that just does bass exceptionally well without sacrificing the rest of the FR.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #38 of 147
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-02 at 10.36.07.jpeg

I'm overjoyed guys, and slightly aroused eheh... I already like this thing a lot. Note weight, blackest of background, enanched sense of positional cues... I think it can only get better from here

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #39 of 147
Oh and the ricable feels really good in the hands, and apparently also sounds very good... I'll let it warm up now with some berlin techno

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #40 of 147
D9200 is amazing, one of my favorite headphones overall. I would consider it more neutral, though it takes a bass shelf well. I would put the D9200 against the Stellia, Stealth, TH900, etc. any day. And I do like it much more than the D7200.

But... if you just want that hard hitting bass and can sacrifice some technicalities, the D7200 is the champ there. And not sibilant like the TH900. It's a mid tier headphone that just does bass exceptionally well without sacrificing the rest of the FR.

With a bit of EQ you can get D7200 very close to the stock D9200. It's still slightly slower and not as precise as D9200, but gap is very small. Without EQ D7200 reminds me of a good quality vintage sound, very euphonic.

In the end I sold D9200 as I found it sometimes slightly too harsh with some recordings which led me to fatigue, but looking at Audio GD/Musician stack this won't be a problem

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #41 of 147
With a bit of EQ you can get D7200 very close to the stock D9200. It's still slightly slower and not as precise as D9200, but gap is very small. Without EQ D7200 reminds me of a good quality vintage sound, very euphonic.

In the end I sold D9200 as I found it sometimes slightly too harsh with some recordings which led me to fatigue, but looking at Audio GD/Musician stack this won't be a problem
Thanks, yes sooner or later I'll grab one of these babies... Maybe the D7200 if that's the case

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #42 of 147
Sorry guys I'm getting emotional 😭, didn't think this DDC could so quickly improve everything, it's amazing 🤩:L3000:

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #43 of 147
Sorry guys I'm getting emotional 😭, didn't think this DDC could so quickly improve everything, it's amazing 🤩:L3000:

I remember in the early days of DDC's I was flamed on this forum as many claimed that DDC is a snake-oil serving no purpose, but in reality it may do wonders especially if your source is computer or noisy streamer.

There are DAC's that tackles noisy sources quite efficiently, but they sit in high price bucket.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #44 of 147
Yes, as they say, noise can't be heard when it's there, but boy if you notice if it's not!

This may be the best addition to my chain, the improvements are quite tangible and I'm falling in love once again. I truly believe this is not snake oil at all.

And frankly objectivist are starting to become like a cult with that pseudo-skeptic behavior of worshipping the measurements gods.

Yes, there is snake oil in this hobby for sure, but I think this sterile approach is detrimental and equally misleading.
I can finally say that DDC is incredibly useful to enhance the performance of a DAC that is good, like the Draco, but can be better.

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #45 of 147
Yes, as they say, noise can't be heard when it's there, but boy if you notice if it's not!
That is, my words!!! Just pronounced better.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back