To me, the Grado SR-80is are too bright, what's next?
Jun 16, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Cool thing is they can be tweaked to sound like you want them; plus there are plenty of mods that can change their sound and/or looks if you get bored of them in the future. 

This is one of the main reasons I got them. If I don't like them I can change them fairly easily. I'll probably end up putting some wood cups on them soon. I enjoy almost everything about them. Some people have reported sibilance but I've never experienced it with my pair. They do have a recessed midrange though which isn't the greatest for rock. If you're willing to eq them they would definitely be a possibility.

Quote:
Yes. Denon's have slower, boomier bass but just sounds very natural. Ultrasones have very tight, fast bass with immense quantity that still does not run into the rest of the sound spectrum like it should.

Agreed. The Denon's bass isn't the tightest I've heard but I wouldn't exactly call it boomy either. Unamped though it is very boomy an amp I highly recommend an amp with them. The Denons definitely feel more mellow than the more aggressive Ultrasones but I still find them very involving.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #32 of 42
I've been reading a lot about the D2000s and people have nothing but praise for them. Plus, apparently they perform well with rock and metal. I've also read that the Beyerdynamic DT250s are great cans too. Have any of you guys tried them both?

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #33 of 42

Quote:
I've been reading a lot about the D2000s and people have nothing but praise for them. Plus, apparently they perform well with rock and metal. I've also read that the Beyerdynamic DT250s are great cans too. Have any of you guys tried them both?

D2000 has bigger bass than DT250/80, but for rock I prefer DT250/80, the guitar sound more lively at beyer, also, DT250/80 has ultra smooth high freq but still offering good detail.

coming from ms1i (which is I guess smoother than SR80i), I can say that DT250/80 is smoother than ms1i, give more detail, thicker midrange, and tighter bass.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #34 of 42

Quote:
IMO Grados are not good for rock. They are way too trebly for a genre of music that is infamous for sibilance. I would recommend Ultrasones and Denon. Bass is very important for rock. Look into the Ultrasone Pro and HFI series. Their highs are not as extreme as Grados and the bass quality and quantity are top notch. They also have more intensity than the Audio Technica M50s which I think is important for rock. However, M50s are more balanced but kills the fun for me.

I tend to agree with you.  Most of my Rock listening is with the PX200-II.  I prefer my Grados with Jazz and string instruments more.  Could be the tube amp helping it though.

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #35 of 42
Here are some quick Grado mods you can employ for next to nothing:

1. Remove the backs from your Grados.  The easiest way to do this is by carefully removing the cups from the rest of the headband (They unhook easily from the forks) and placing them in a cookie tin with just enough steaming water to loosen up the glue.  (Place the cups with the driver facing up; they aren't the part that needs the bath.)  You don't need boiling water nor should you leave them in too long (You don't want to warp the plastic).  This is easier than it sounds.

2. Once you've gently pried the backs off, you're in a position to make a few changes.  The first (and most important) is to damp the plastic inner chamber.  This will clean up the presentation.  Felt is good for this.  Cut strips and carefully glue them so they line the insides of the chamber.  

3. Put something on the back of the driver magnet.  Some people use a commercial damping device, the stuff they use to damp echoey spots in car interiors.  Some will tell you not to plug the two holes in the back.  It really doesn't matter as those holes are just imitations of heat vents found on large subwoofers (which use a lot more juice).  Still, why muck up something that's there?  

4. If you want to double your bass response, pop out the holes in the back of the driver felt.  Try it one at a time for comparison.  There are up to ten holes you can pop.  If you are planning on popping less than all, try to balance where you're popping (the PS1000 pops at 10, 12, 5 and 7 o'clock - more or less).  Popping means you'll have holes where dust or debris can enter, so you need to shake and blow to make sure you get rid of anything that fell in (I always shake and blow thoroughly to remove whatever dust and/or debris has gotten in).  Part of the reason Grados have these holes punched out on the higher models but not on the lower models is obvious: plastic doesn't sound that great.  When you pop out the holes, the material of the air chamber does become more important, which is why you should damp it (before or afterward).  If you do this, you WILL hear a huge difference in the amount of bass.  The more bass you hear, the less you will crank up your Grados and the less you will feel like the top end is just too piercing.

5. Change your pads.  Bowls were invented to give the Grados more soundstage.  The original sweethearts - the PS1 and the HP1000 - used flats.  Flats are not comfies.  Flats are sold only through TTVJ.  They're thinner.  They're tougher.  They provide a firmer contact base, which helps communicate bass.  They also have a much thinner "soft" layer.  It's the soft layer that leaks the bass.  If you can't get flats, get black electrical tape.  You don't have to tape the whole pad (nor should you).  Simply apply the tape to the soft layer in the center.  This is where you're leaking bass like a sieve.  Do this and you will notice another big jump in bass.

If you want a serious jump in bass, buy an amp - not a pretty toy with shiny buttons but something serious.  Grados get all kinds of grief over their "overly bright" sound.  Truth is, you'll get equal grief from a lot of other headphones when they're not amp'd, including the Sennheiser 600/650, the Sennhesier HD800, the K701, even the beyerdynamic t1.  High-impedance cans HAVE to be amped.  When you run them un-amped, they sound anemic.  Nobody complains about this underperformance because the expectation is "amp it or shut up."  Because Grados are 32-ohm cans, making them easier to drive, people judge them unamped.  When they get less than stellar bass, they condemn the unamped Grado for not doing what they're amped Sennheiser or beyer is doing.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  Amp the Grado and amp it well.  You'll hear a serious difference in the bass.

I have an M^3 (AMB design, copied by many).  It has a variable bass boost.  With that bass boost, I can pump so much bass through a lowly SR60 that you'd think you were listening to the meanest basshead cans you'd ever heard.  The Grados are just speakers.  YOU have to take charge over the signal running through them.  If you have a tinny little iPod (like I do), don't be surprised if the bass is less than amazing.  Bass requires more power.  When I've hooked my SR60s up to my M^3, I've been able to make them crunch and boom and throb like nobody's business.  But because of the variable setting, I can decide how much is "just right."

Remember, it's not that the Grados are "harsh" or "bright."  It's that they give away the bass through their open-air design.  Sparkle is a wonderful thing, but if there's nothing behind it, you'll find yourself cranking up the sound (hoping you're cranking the bass with the treble).  If you end up in Shrillville, it'll be because you really didn't get enough bass with the treble.  It's an imbalance that needs to be fixed - either acoustically or electronically.  You can either capture that bass or double it through electronic bass boost.

Short of amping, I'd pop the holes, damp the chamber and switch to flats (or get out that electrical tape).  You can make your Grados thump.  You just have to make a few changes.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #36 of 42
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to write this. The water method for removing the cups worked great, really easy and fast. I damped the plastic inner chamber with felt and put blu-tack (some people have used this instead of the damping device) on the back of the driver magnet. The only thing I'm a little scared to do is poking holes in the back of the driver felt because I don't know exactly how many and in which position. Where should I start with this?

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #37 of 42
Where can I find "blue tack"?  I've done the Grill mod, felt mod on the inner cups (though I may have to update), reverse quarter mod on HD414 pads, and re-cable.  I like how they sound, and they definitely have bass when asked... but a little more wouldn't hurt.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #38 of 42

Here are some quick Grado mods you can employ for next to nothing:

1. Remove the backs from your Grados.  The easiest way to do this is by carefully removing the cups from the rest of the headband (They unhook easily from the forks) and placing them in a cookie tin with just enough steaming water to loosen up the glue.  (Place the cups with the driver facing up; they aren't the part that needs the bath.)  You don't need boiling water nor should you leave them in too long (You don't want to warp the plastic).  This is easier than it sounds.

2. Once you've gently pried the backs off, you're in a position to make a few changes.  The first (and most important) is to damp the plastic inner chamber.  This will clean up the presentation.  Felt is good for this.  Cut strips and carefully glue them so they line the insides of the chamber.  

3. Put something on the back of the driver magnet.  Some people use a commercial damping device, the stuff they use to damp echoey spots in car interiors.  Some will tell you not to plug the two holes in the back.  It really doesn't matter as those holes are just imitations of heat vents found on large subwoofers (which use a lot more juice).  Still, why muck up something that's there?  

4. If you want to double your bass response, pop out the holes in the back of the driver felt.  Try it one at a time for comparison.  There are up to ten holes you can pop.  If you are planning on popping less than all, try to balance where you're popping (the PS1000 pops at 10, 12, 5 and 7 o'clock - more or less).  Popping means you'll have holes where dust or debris can enter, so you need to shake and blow to make sure you get rid of anything that fell in (I always shake and blow thoroughly to remove whatever dust and/or debris has gotten in).  Part of the reason Grados have these holes punched out on the higher models but not on the lower models is obvious: plastic doesn't sound that great.  When you pop out the holes, the material of the air chamber does become more important, which is why you should damp it (before or afterward).  If you do this, you WILL hear a huge difference in the amount of bass.  The more bass you hear, the less you will crank up your Grados and the less you will feel like the top end is just too piercing.

5. Change your pads.  Bowls were invented to give the Grados more soundstage.  The original sweethearts - the PS1 and the HP1000 - used flats.  Flats are not comfies.  Flats are sold only through TTVJ.  They're thinner.  They're tougher.  They provide a firmer contact base, which helps communicate bass.  They also have a much thinner "soft" layer.  It's the soft layer that leaks the bass.  If you can't get flats, get black electrical tape.  You don't have to tape the whole pad (nor should you).  Simply apply the tape to the soft layer in the center.  This is where you're leaking bass like a sieve.  Do this and you will notice another big jump in bass.

If you want a serious jump in bass, buy an amp - not a pretty toy with shiny buttons but something serious.  Grados get all kinds of grief over their "overly bright" sound.  Truth is, you'll get equal grief from a lot of other headphones when they're not amp'd, including the Sennheiser 600/650, the Sennhesier HD800, the K701, even the beyerdynamic t1.  High-impedance cans HAVE to be amped.  When you run them un-amped, they sound anemic.  Nobody complains about this underperformance because the expectation is "amp it or shut up."  Because Grados are 32-ohm cans, making them easier to drive, people judge them unamped.  When they get less than stellar bass, they condemn the unamped Grado for not doing what they're amped Sennheiser or beyer is doing.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  Amp the Grado and amp it well.  You'll hear a serious difference in the bass.

I have an M^3 (AMB design, copied by many).  It has a variable bass boost.  With that bass boost, I can pump so much bass through a lowly SR60 that you'd think you were listening to the meanest basshead cans you'd ever heard.  The Grados are just speakers.  YOU have to take charge over the signal running through them.  If you have a tinny little iPod (like I do), don't be surprised if the bass is less than amazing.  Bass requires more power.  When I've hooked my SR60s up to my M^3, I've been able to make them crunch and boom and throb like nobody's business.  But because of the variable setting, I can decide how much is "just right."

Remember, it's not that the Grados are "harsh" or "bright."  It's that they give away the bass through their open-air design.  Sparkle is a wonderful thing, but if there's nothing behind it, you'll find yourself cranking up the sound (hoping you're cranking the bass with the treble).  If you end up in Shrillville, it'll be because you really didn't get enough bass with the treble.  It's an imbalance that needs to be fixed - either acoustically or electronically.  You can either capture that bass or double it through electronic bass boost.

Short of amping, I'd pop the holes, damp the chamber and switch to flats (or get out that electrical tape).  You can make your Grados thump.  You just have to make a few changes.

Wow. Thats alot u can do but i would think that the headphones would b put in the best way possible b4 charging me hundreds of dollars. I chose to sell it b4 instead of lowering its value through mods. However it really is true that the bass have much more impact through a good amp. However, the highs will never change much through a neutral amp. Grados will b shrill wit rock at loud volumes.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #40 of 42
When I first bought my SR80s, I wasn't very impressed for the styles of music (mainly electronica) that I listen to. So they sat practically unused while my HD25-1's got all the playtime.

Recently I went back to them for some rock and acoustic music, but the bowl pads had actually deteriorated for some reason, and I took the opportunity to get some flat "comfy" Grado pads.

Well, the combination of using flat pads, as opposed to the bowl pads, and plugging the SR80s in to my Little Dot MkIII amp, have given them a new lease of life. I now find them extremely musical and enjoyable to listen to. The harshness in the highs has been damped by the combination of the flat pads and the amp, and the bass has got a bit of a boost. The soundstage is small in comparison with something like AKG701, but they're now a great, intimate-sounding, headphone which suit some electronica (e.g. ambient and less bass-driven stuff) and all my rock and acoustic collection. I like them so much that I've even considered selling my AKG701 and just using my Grados.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #41 of 42
I would go try some Denon AH-D1100 now as they are not bright at all.  In fact, they are quite the opposite,  They are not particularly dark, but the highs are rolled off.  I like the Grado SR-80(i) sound coming out of my Ultra Desktop Amp, but the SR-80's need good deep amplification to sound their best.  Once they are properly amped they sound amazing for their price point.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/denon-ah-d1100.php

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #42 of 42
I know the topic is old, but I'm in the same situation today (but with SR60i) and I would like to know how the SR60i compares with the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II.
The SR60i is the first good headphone I bought so I'm a noob  =P

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back