To Grado. Or not to Grado?
Jul 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #107 of 168
Where the heck did you get the idea that you could get HP2s for 500? HF2s/RS2s yes, HP2s, no.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #108 of 168

Quote:
Let's sum it up, shall we?

Grados are hard to drive; bad for rock; only liked by older Americans with hearing loss.

+1 on Grados being for the older, hearing impaired crowd (I'm 43).  What did you say, Sonny???  Huh? Hold on, gotta change the batteries in my ear horns, right after I freshen up and reinstall take my teeth. 

With the rapidly growing fogey demographic, it seems Grado's strategy of catering to those with progressive hearing loss and then snookering them into paying insane bucks for an inferior product is nothing less than absolute brilliance.

Seriously, wind016, your dismissal of differences in cables as nonsense and a waste of money is another giveaway that your listening hasn't matured enough (or is already too damaged) to be able to hear a difference - and/or your equipment isn't good enough to hear a difference.  I'm the biggest skeptic out there when it comes to tweaks, but high quality cables can and do make a difference, both good and bad, depending on the characteristics of your equipment.    Even someone like you would be able to hear a difference on a truly top notch system.  My suggestion is to open your mind and give it a try before you turn 25 and your hearing goes to crap.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #109 of 168
I'm not going to bother with your strawman.

Yes, I do not care about expensive cables. I just need the overall sound. Cables won't change Grado's sound character to have the treble I want. I always doubt my hearing yes. It always keep having different preferences. However, I know what I have done with music to decide how something should sound for mixing, monitoring, lives, etc etc. I find my hearing is more trained than an average person

Quote:
+1 on Grados being for the older, hearing impaired crowd (I'm 43).  What did you say, Sonny???  Huh? Hold on, gotta change the batteries in my ear horns, right after I freshen up and reinstall take my teeth. 

With the rapidly growing fogey demographic, it seems Grado's strategy of catering to those with progressive hearing loss and then snookering them into paying insane bucks for an inferior product is nothing less than absolute brilliance.

Seriously, wind016, your dismissal of differences in cables as nonsense and a waste of money is another giveaway that your listening hasn't matured enough (or is already too damaged) to be able to hear a difference - and/or your equipment isn't good enough to hear a difference.  I'm the biggest skeptic out there when it comes to tweaks, but high quality cables can and do make a difference, both good and bad, depending on the characteristics of your equipment.    Even someone like you would be able to hear a difference on a truly top notch system.  My suggestion is to open your mind and give it a try before you turn 25 and your hearing goes to crap.

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #110 of 168
     Let me add this one to the list....

Quote:
 I find my hearing is more trained than an average person

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #111 of 168
     Almost forgot the build up to the punchline.

Quote:
I always doubt my hearing yes.

I find my hearing is more trained than an average person

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #112 of 168
sigh...  fine Grados are perfect. they are easy to drive. the bass is just perfect through my mp3 player. treble that is JUST perfect. not too bright or lacking. Very natural sounding. Anyone that doesnt like them can not possibly know what they are talking about.

It shouldn't be too much trouble to use the brain for some simple reasoning instead rather than try to attack a character than as no relevance to the subject.

Quote:
     Let me add this one to the list....

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #113 of 168

Quote:
sigh...  fine Grados are perfect. they are easy to drive. the bass is just perfect through my mp3 player. treble that is JUST perfect. not too bright or lacking. Very natural sounding. Anyone that doesnt like them can not possibly know what they are talking about.

It shouldn't be too much trouble to use the brain for some simple reasoning instead rather than try to attack a character than as no relevance to the subject.

You see, there are more of us who think Grado cans are amazing than just you.
wink.gif

Eventhough I'm an old 38 year old whose hearing isn't what it used to be....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #114 of 168
lol ok they're amazing for replicating front row experience. man...  all this is making me queezy

Quote:
You see, there are more of us who think Grado cans are amazing than just you.
wink.gif

Eventhough I'm an old 38 year old whose hearing isn't what it used to be....
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #117 of 168
Wind016, may your 'I don't like Grado' days be pleasant. Next time I will not compare you with a famous character from British comedy for you obviously do not appreciate it. Too bad, Blackadder was quite brilliant. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #119 of 168
You're forgetting the rule that you can't criticize Grados if you don't currently own them. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Their bass is an art of auditory illusion.  It sounds like there is more there than there is due to a slight boost right before it starts rolling off at around 100 Hz.  The hump manages to catch enough of the kick drum to still give some punch but low bass just isn't there.  Bass that rolls off early like that though is common in headphones unfortunately.  It means some bass lines go missing cause they're doing their thing at a frequency lower than what the headphones can do.  I can listen to some acoustic double bass lines by Edgar Meyer that have a run going down low.  Listen to that on the Grado (325is) and it sounds like he's playing the same run of notes over again when in reality he is going down an octave.  The Denon D2000 catches that, the Grado does not.  Listen to AC/DC "Hells Bells" and on the Grado the bass is somewhat missing and the guitar drives the music.  On the D2000 the bass is there and is able to add drive to the music, the lead guitar is not as forward and prominent.  Different presentation.  That lack of a driving bass doesn't hurt AC/DC too much, but on a song like Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" where the galloping bass needs to drive the song the Grado doesn't work.  In order to get that song to work at all on the Grado requires that I enable a virtual subwoofer DSP effect to get more virtual bass.  That sort of works but is not ideal and results in an altered bass and distorted bass.  The D2000 is better for the Iron Maiden.

Treble is also overdone on the Grado, especially the 325is compared to the rest of the SR series.  It's hard to deny that.  You can try to tame it with source and amps.  I chose to tame it with EQ and a somewhat Grado friendly amp.  I'll have to try some tube amps at some point.  Playing the SR325is direct from my iPod Classic results in way too much treble cause the built-in iPod amp just doesn't tame it at all.  My SR60 is a better choice direct from the iPod.

For the music the Grado does well I like it.  And that's why I bought it.  It is a secondary alternate headphone for me.  Not a primary headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back