To Grado. Or not to Grado?
Jul 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #91 of 168

There is a lot of Grado on Head-Fi yet I do not really care. I do not need a Grado headphone and my own headphones are quite pleasing to my ears and brains. My HP830 is good for now.

"Grado lackeys"?, if you want to provoke, oh well go ahead but if it is to be your aim to emulate Blackadder in headphone wittiness be careful. Sharp one, just not that suited for Head-Fi I am afraid. 

For the time being I avoid Grado, I prefer vintage and Philips (underrated). I find the prices too high mostly...

Just one ab hominem abusive to another . Grado lackey vs grado troll.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #92 of 168
Not going to. Audio Techics have an upfront sound character but certainly not as sparkly as Grados. I don't like Grados as a whole. That is also in terms of their design and build.

Quote:

For what it's worth and that's not much, I have two pairs of Audio Technica phones and two pairs of Grado's. I find myself listening to the Grado's more often. I enjoy the AT's but the Grado's are more engaging to me.

PS You can accuse me of being a Grado fanboy. I could care less. I'm interested in listening to headphones that sound good to me and I couldn't give a rodent's rear end about what brand they are.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #93 of 168

Quote:
I'm not searching for Grado threads. I just happen to be reading a bunch. Seriously, half these the threads are about Grados. Doesn't mean I'm going to just those. And you Grado fanboys wont even let me make fun of them or talk about them from time to time now? Take a good hard look at yourself. Stop being hypocritical. My opinions are a subjective truth to me. I've used Grados for 3 years. I'm more than familiar with what they sound like. You guys have become Grado's lackeys that won't let anyone talk bad about them. They are NOT that good...

You mention in one of your previous posts about never trying the RS or PS series (and presumably the GS as well).  Maybe this is a poor analogy that only car nuts will appreciate...but here goes....  Your comment is equivalent to saying all Mercedes suck.  Oh, and did I mention that I've only driven a new C-Class, but I've put a lot of miles on.  I've never even sat in anything better, but I KNOW that the rest of the line - particular those crap S, SL, and CL lines (and all AMG) - are all rubbish because they all have the hood with the same 3 pointed star.  Dude, I just KNOW and you're not convincing me otherwise.  Now where's my Lexus ES.... 

Mercedes vs Lexus or anything else, yes a matter of preference.  Don't make a blanket statement about the top of any product line until you're qualified to do so.  By the same token, spend some extended listening time with RS, GS, or PS (better yet, all 3) comparing them to T1s, HD800s or other credible competitors, then your opinion will have some credibility.  Then again you'll likely feel the same way because you're not open minded enough to think otherwise, so my bother?

Also, you've clearly got the goods in terms of amplification (WA6 SE and...), but you make no mention of your source or cables. Based on all your earlier comments, I could only come to the conclusion that you're Sony fan boy running a PlayStation 3 with RadioShack's best RCA's.   Enlighten us.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #94 of 168
I tried every grado except PS and HF. I'm not going to say everything about every headphone. I don't have time for that. I try to go straight to the point when I talk here. Even more so when on my Iphone during breaks. I didn't like the GS simply. Everything I said I didn't like about Grados goes towards the GS also. Seriously, I tried to like Grado. They have an antiquity respectfulness about them. But sound just not for me and build doesn't help.

Be assured, I'm not a Sony fanboy. lol  I also find cables not worth the upgrade. Primarily psychological effects if you ask me. I have tried a lot of equipment. I just don't bother to name each and every.

My opinions should be helpful to MY peers. That is, people in their 20s (hearing has not diminished too much) and enjoy emphasis in natural sounding vocals. As I find, many of them agree with me.

Quote:

You mention in one of your previous posts about never trying the RS or PS series (and presumably the GS as well).  Maybe this is a poor analogy that only car nuts will appreciate...but here goes....  Your comment is equivalent to saying all Mercedes suck.  Oh, and did I mention that I've only driven a new C-Class, but I've put a lot of miles on.  I've never even sat in anything better, but I KNOW that the rest of the line - particular those crap S, SL, and CL lines (and all AMG) - are all rubbish because they all have the hood with the same 3 pointed star.  Dude, I just KNOW and you're not convincing me otherwise.  Now where's the my Lexus ES.... 

Mercedes vs Lexus or anything else, yes a matter of preference.  Don't make a blanket statement about the top of any product line until you're qualified to do so.  By the same token, spend some extended listening time with RS, GS, or PS (better yet, all 3) comparing them to T1s, HD800s or other credible competitors, then your opinion will have some credibility.  Then again you'll likely feel the same way because you're not open minded enough to think otherwise, so my bother?

Also, you've clearly got the goods in terms of amplification (WA6 SE and...), but you make no mention of your source or cables. Based on all your earlier comments, I could only come to the conclusion that you're Sony fan boy running a PlayStation 3 with RadioShack's best RCA's.   Enlighten us.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #95 of 168

Quote:
My opinions should be helpful to MY peers. That is, people in their 20s (hearing has not diminished too much) and enjoy emphasis in natural sounding vocals. As I find, many of them agree with me.

Well, there you have it. If you like Grados, it's probably because your advanced age has resulted in diminished hearing.
rolleyes.gif

Case closed. And (hopefully) thread closed, too.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #96 of 168
... making the wrong conclusion...  Please reread in a less adversarial POV

Quote:
Well, there you have it. If you like Grados, it's probably because your advanced age has resulted in diminished hearing.
rolleyes.gif

Case closed. And (hopefully) thread closed, too.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #97 of 168

Quote:
Just one ab hominem abusive to another . Grado lackey vs grado troll.

At least you realize that it is just ad hominem. But of course calling someone a "fanboy" just because they happen to like something makes their opinions invalid. Good job.

Quote:
I tried every grado except PS and HF. I'm not going to say everything about every headphone. I don't have time for that. I try to go straight to the point when I talk here. Even more so when on my Iphone during breaks. I didn't like the GS simply. Everything I said I didn't like about Grados goes towards the GS also. Seriously, I tried to like Grado. They have an antiquity respectfulness about them. But sound just not for me and build doesn't help.

Be assured, I'm not a Sony fanboy. lol  I also find cables not worth the upgrade. Primarily psychological effects if you ask me. I have tried a lot of equipment. I just don't bother to name each and every.

Speaking as someone who you seem to consider in your peer group (I'm 19 and have above-average hearing even for that age group), I do not find your opinions helpful. Posted once? Maybe. Posted in nearly every newer thread that even mentions Grado, and even some that don't? No, that's not even remotely helpful. That's just bashing for the sake of bashing, and bordering on trolling.

Let's be blunt, you're getting on people's nerves with how you act on your opinions, not the opinions themselves. You've also managed to irritate some relatively respected members on head-fi, and people that I really don't see as being easily annoyed. Perhaps that should be enough of a hint that some of your actions may be getting out of hand. And if part of the problem is that you can't respect certain people and their opinions simply because they enjoy a product that doesn't specifically suit your tastes... That may point to a larger problem. Nobody is telling you to like Grado. You are being told that your behavior has been excessive and it would be in the best interest of everyone, yourself included, to use more tact. This is well intentioned advice, not an attack.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #98 of 168

Quote:
... making the wrong conclusion...  Please reread in a less adversarial POV

Nope. Read it again. Your meaning was pretty clear.

But then again, perhaps my 35-year-old eyes are failing me...
dt880smile.png

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #99 of 168
... I understand how you are reading, but you don't understand my point. Sensitivity to high frequency does decrease with age. I find myself very sensitive to highs.

Quote:

Nope. Read it again. Your meaning was pretty clear.

But then again, perhaps my 35-year-old eyes are failing me...
dt880smile.png

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #100 of 168

Quote:
... I understand how you are reading, but you don't understand my point. Sensitivity to high frequency does decrease with age. I find myself very sensitive to highs.

Well, OK. That's better stated. Here's the follow-up question, then: how come I love Grados (I have three pairs), but found the DT990/600s frequently sibilant and thought the K702s were unbearably shrill in the upper ranges? I clearly share some of your sensitivity to exaggerated high frequencies, yet I listen to my RS-1s for hours on end with no discomfort.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #101 of 168
Mmmhmm...  Well from coming from Grados for 3 years and finding them shrill, accepting the AKG K701s was easier for me. But recently, I couldn't stand the AKGs anymore and I've decided to sell them. For your case, I dunno lol Now that seems strange doesn't it? lol

Quote:
Well, OK. That's better stated. Here's the follow-up question, then: how come I love Grados (I have three pairs), but found the DT990/600s frequently sibilant and thought the K702s were unbearably shrill in the upper ranges? I clearly share some of your sensitivity to exaggerated high frequencies, yet I listen to my RS-1s for hours on end with no discomfort.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #102 of 168
Let's sum it up, shall we?

Grados are hard to drive; bad for rock; only liked by older Americans with hearing loss.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #103 of 168
I've given enough gas to flames for today and I'm tired of having to answer to bad reasoning.

But yes to some.  They are harder to drive that it would seem. Rock is infamous for sibilance, not a good combo with ultra-treble oriented Grado imo.  I never insinuated that older Americans with hearing loss like them. Just said those with younger ears MAY find them shrill

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #105 of 168
Also, I NEVER said grados are hard to drive. I said the description of headphones that are easy to drive do not have the characteristics of no bass and high treble.

I will say that it is harder to drive that it will seem.

So many strawman fallacies in this thread....

Quote:
Let's sum it up, shall we?

Grados are hard to drive; bad for rock; only liked by older Americans with hearing loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back