To Grado. Or not to Grado?
Jul 23, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #31 of 168
I've been reading through these forums for a long time (although only creating an account recently) trying to get a grasp on what people think of Grado's, and like you said - people's views on Grado's are quite split. I find that the main reason for this is because their headphones vary in colouration/tone throughout the range. The GS1000 are meant to be quite neutral, however, in comparison the RS1's are meant to be slightly more forward and just a little bright in comparison etc. and there are people who like the RS1's more bright nature and hence arent a big fan of the GS1000's etc..

The only REAL way to find out that special Grado reference sound/X factor, is to bite the bullet.

If you do decide to take the plunge, from the numerous topics i have gone through, it seems that most people are quite pleased (of the ones you have listed in the OP) by the RS's.. (especially the RS1's, although u havnt listed it, its highly reccomendable. If you could expand your budget, these would be the ones to go for imho - since the GS1000's are definitely out of the budget. Plus, the RS1's hold their value quite well, so if u decide the grado sound wasnt for you, you wont be losing much when selling). Views on the R325is's are quite split, most people are happy, however, there is also portion who weren't too impressed with the sound signature. As for the 225i's - its a bit of a risk basing your views on Grado on that 'phone.

So all in all, If you can - RS1/RS1i's, if not, RS2/RS2i's imho.

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #33 of 168
O man...  whatever you do, do not spend all your money on a Grado yet. I recommend you buy an SR125 and see how you like it. Spending so much money and finding out it is not exactly what you want is a waste of money and time. Most Grados sound very VERY similar. Treble emphasis. I made the mistake of putting up the cash for an SR325i and then finding out that they were by no means what I liked.

The SR125 will be closer to what the higher model Grados sound like. The SR 60/80 sound rather different imo.  My non-audiophile friends could not tell the difference between an SR125 and an SR325. I also found the difference to be rather negligible. About $400 worth of amping would bring out the difference. I thought the SR 125 and the 225 sounded almost the same. 

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #34 of 168
Id have to agree with the owner of the store. I do not think Grados are good rock headphones at all. I don't understand the rage here at head-fi. It seems many people that recommend rock with Grados just like the sound of guitars. I'm a guitarist, but I dont like it THAT much... The guitars in rock will definitely block or fight the vocals in music with Grados. 

Also, someone with your inexperience may not appreciate the settle differences sound that RS series have over the SR series.

Quote:
That is my question. I have 500 to spend and i listen to alt/pop/emo/indie rock some techno and some not so hard hip/hop.

Grados are so split viewed on this forum and I wanna know what people think. Really

I'm looking at 325is, rs2, rs2i. 225i if someone thinks thats really the way to go. 

on a side note, I am in communication with the owner of a high end audio equipment store that sells Grado headphones, he is utterly bewildered by his own, and those of his customers', findings that they are confused as to online reports of their genre aptitude towards rock, where they find no such distinct orientation. 

So please discuss away.

thanks in advance

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #35 of 168

Quote:
Some say the RS1 is sweeter in the HF, but one should be skeptical of five minute listenings to brand-new HF2s against fully burned-in RS1s.  Sentimentality also plays a role.  Some have likened to the HF2 to a SR325i with a wooden shoe, but I can't help but think this is a territorial argument from wounded owners of the RS1, which was a very fine flagship before Grado passed it over - twice.  Still, if I were listening to rock, I'd pick the HF2 over the RS1 in a heartbeat.  I like it that much.

I had both the RS1i and HF2 for many months (5 maybe?), and in my opinion the RS1i was absolutely much better.  I didn't have any stake in liking one more than the other.  The RS1i was simply more refined, significantly more detailed, and had a much more balanced and well defined bass.

But I have to admit I never like the dark (dull) sound of the HF2.  Grado must have done something pretty extreme to the driver to make it so dark.  In my opinion it was an interesting experiment, but ultimately not too successful.  

Also it's worth mentioning that I find the RS1i to sound much different (and better) than the older RS1.

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #36 of 168
I completely agree with the poster above regarding importance of really good amplification to get the best of any headphones, but particularly Grados.  Being relatively new to headphones, but not to high end, my first step was a pair of Beyer DT990s (600 ohm) with a Meier Headfive.  The 990s boated bass drove me nuts, so they went back to B&H after 1 week. 

After a lot of research I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than RS1i's, so I snapped up a sightly used pair for $585 on fleabay.  And at the same time I snagged a slightly used Woo WA6 with the Sophia Princess on Audiogon.  My source is a Sony XA5400ES.  What a synergistic, delicious combination - for Jazz, Rock, Pop, whatever.  HEAVEN.  The Meier, while very good for the money, was completely outclassed by and flat-sounding compared to the Woo - so I moved it.  I never was never a die hard tube man, but they really make the RS1i's sing.

Buy some used Grados and experiment, but make sure your amplification and source are up to snuff before you pass judgement. 

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #37 of 168
I like my SR125. But the simple lack of isolation drives me nuts. We have loud neighbors, barking dogs, screaming kids, etc... Totally ruins the music.

On top of that, the Grado house sound can get fatiguing and old after awhile. If you are looking for an uncolored and neutral sound, there are better options than Grado IMO. But they indeed sound great, when its 2:00 AM. 

And just like others said, amping is crucial when it comes to just about ANY headphone. It really makes a big difference IMO.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #38 of 168
Grados go well with tubes. I use a Melos Sha Gold and it makes all my Grados sing (particularly in the bass department)!
In last year's NorCal meet, Fallen Angel was running his HP1000, PS1 through a Melos (Maestro I think), it sounded really sweat-I meant sweet! :)

Quote:
I completely agree with the poster above regarding importance of really good amplification to get the best of any headphones, but particularly Grados.  Being relatively new to headphones, but not to high end, my first step was a pair of Beyer DT990s (600 ohm) with a Meier Headfive.  The 990s boated bass drove me nuts, so they went back to B&H after 1 week. 

After a lot of research I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than RS1i's, so I snapped up a sightly used pair for $585 on fleabay.  And at the same time I snagged a slightly used Woo WA6 with the Sophia Princess on Audiogon.  My source is a Sony XA5400ES.  What a synergistic, delicious combination - for Jazz, Rock, Pop, whatever.  HEAVEN.  The Meier, while very good for the money, was completely outclassed by and flat-sounding compared to the Woo - so I moved it.  I never was never a die hard tube man, but they really make the RS1i's sing.

Buy some used Grados and experiment, but make sure your amplification and source are up to snuff before you pass judgement. 

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #39 of 168

Quote:
Grados go well with tubes. I use a Melos Sha Gold and it makes all my Grados sing (particularly in the bass department)!
In last year's NorCal meet, Fallen Angel was running his HP1000, PS1 through a Melos (Maestro I think), it sounded really sweat.

Agreed...the Melos Gold is amazing with my RS1s. Mapletree amps are also very magical with Grados and the two would be the best amps (SS or tube) that I've ever heard with Grados.

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #40 of 168
My hearing impressions of Grado headphones from CanJam 2010:

Overly efficient at reproducing high frequency treble; Uncomfortable.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #41 of 168

I had both the RS1i and HF2 for many months (5 maybe?), and in my opinion the RS1i was absolutely much better.  I didn't have any stake in liking one more than the other.  The RS1i was simply more refined, significantly more detailed, and had a much more balanced and well defined bass.

But I have to admit I never like the dark (dull) sound of the HF2.  Grado must have done something pretty extreme to the driver to make it so dark.  In my opinion it was an interesting experiment, but ultimately not too successful.  

Also it's worth mentioning that I find the RS1i to sound much different (and better) than the older RS1.

I don't know how the HF2 can sound dull compared to Sennheisers and beyerdynamics, just less spiky than most other Grados.  But to each his own, I guess.

I've never owned the RS1i.  Can you elaborate on how it sounds different from the RS1?

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #42 of 168

My hearing impressions of Grado headphones from CanJam 2010:

Overly efficient at reproducing high frequency treble; Uncomfortable.

I don't want to come off as overly sensitive; I don't own the company.  Still, I wonder if your idea of "overly efficient at reproducing high frequency treble" isn't simply another way to saying that the Grados are easy to drive and that, unamped, what you get is a presentation that's top heavy because of the bass leakage of those open cans.  Unamped, the K701 is "overly efficient at reproducing high frequency treble."  So is the HD800.  If I run them straight off my iPod, I'll want to crank them up to get more bass - which is when they'll sound hollow and echoey, sometimes even sibilant.  The GS1000 really sounded sibilant to me, so much so that I sliced into my $50 jumbos to decrease the ear/driver distance.  But when I pumped them through a decent amp, the bass welled up.  Once you have a balanced presentation, there's nothing shrill abut the Grados.  But the Grados are so easy to drive that they come off as overly bright.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #43 of 168
My SR80 sounds terrific directly out of my (3rd gen)  iPod Nano. There is most certainly no lack of bass. The balance is no different than out of the built-in headphone amp (which uses the same opamp as the Grado RA1) of my Marantz CD player.

To smooth out the treble when using Grados with bowls, wear them a bit forward (and also a bit low) on your ears. This also opens up the soundstage.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #44 of 168

I don't want to come off as overly sensitive; I don't own the company.  Still, I wonder if your idea of "overly efficient at reproducing high frequency treble" isn't simply another way to saying that the Grados are easy to drive and that, unamped, what you get is a presentation that's top heavy because of the bass leakage of those open cans.  Unamped, the K701 is "overly efficient at reproducing high frequency treble."  So is the HD800.  If I run them straight off my iPod, I'll want to crank them up to get more bass - which is when they'll sound hollow and echoey, sometimes even sibilant.  The GS1000 really sounded sibilant to me, so much so that I sliced into my $50 jumbos to decrease the ear/driver distance.  But when I pumped them through a decent amp, the bass welled up.  Once you have a balanced presentation, there's nothing shrill abut the Grados.  But the Grados are so easy to drive that they come off as overly bright.

Headphones easy to drive do not have the description of lacking bass and top heavy. Easy to drive headphones generally have good bass

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #45 of 168
The mapletree amps also have the benefit of being readily available. :)
I actually prefer these two tube amps to the now hard to find HPA1 and 2 for all Grados including ones from Joe's era.
Maybe I just like the Grado/tube combination.

Quote:
Agreed...the Melos Gold is amazing with my RS1s. Mapletree amps are also very magical with Grados and the two would be the best amps (SS or tube) that I've ever heard with Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back