To Grado. Or not to Grado?
Jul 21, 2010 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 168

elcamel1216

Head-Fier
That is my question. I have 500 to spend and i listen to alt/pop/emo/indie rock some techno and some not so hard hip/hop.

Grados are so split viewed on this forum and I wanna know what people think. Really

I'm looking at 325is, rs2, rs2i. 225i if someone thinks thats really the way to go. 

on a side note, I am in communication with the owner of a high end audio equipment store that sells Grado headphones, he is utterly bewildered by his own, and those of his customers', findings that they are confused as to online reports of their genre aptitude towards rock, where they find no such distinct orientation. 

So please discuss away.

thanks in advance

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 168
What do you expect people to say? Just do it; whichever one you buy can easily be sold for a good price if you don't like it. Nobody can tell you what YOU will like.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 168
Lots of people like them. Lots of people don't. There's really only one way to find out which camp you're in.

If it helps, I'm a classical listener and I love my (pre-i) SR80.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 168

Quote:
That is my question. I have 500 to spend and i listen to alt/pop/emo/indie rock some techno and some not so hard hip/hop.

Grados are so split viewed on this forum and I wanna know what people think. Really

I'm looking at 325is, rs2, rs2i. 225i if someone thinks thats really the way to go. 

on a side note, I am in communication with the owner of a high end audio equipment store that sells Grado headphones, he is utterly bewildered by his own, and those of his customers', findings that they are confused as to online reports of their genre aptitude towards rock, where they find no such distinct orientation. 

So please discuss away.

thanks in advance

Can you go there and actually audition them? If so, do that.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 168
If you can get to his shop, give them a listen... I love my Grado's.  I started with the SR60i and within two weeks I upgraded to the 325i.  You really need to hear them for yourself.  I agree that they (325i) really shine with Rock (guitars sound awesome), but I listen to everything from Alternative, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Techno, classical and even country on them.  I haven't found anything they don't do well.. to my ears..   I love the mids, I love the highs and with the tape mod on the bowls, the bass is better. 

I haven't heard any of the other Grado's you listed yet, so I can only speak on my own experience, The other model's may not be as mid-oriented are as sharp (highs) as the 325i's.  I say make the trip if you can, have a listen and find the model that sounds best to you. 

I think everyone should hear or own a Grado at some point, their sound is unique.  You'll either become an instant fan, or you'll look elsewhere.  Hope this helps in some small way and Happy Listening..

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 168
I still to this day own my pair of SR-80's (so maybe my opinion is a tad void because you are looking at higher end models). Grado has a great sound. Fairly easy to drive, and it really makes rock music come alive. As said before, buy a pair. If you don't like them, sell em here on head-fi. You'll get most of your money back, and then can try something else. No one headphone will please everyone. It's a matter of trial and error. That being said, Grado's are a good start.

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 168

Quote:

How many more are there, i wonder...

Many, you just tend not to hear from them on this site where "Grados are rock headphones" has hardened into dogma. In fact, their clarity, natural-sounding timbre, and lack of bloated bass works very well with all kinds of classical music. Large-scale works get sufficient (though front-row- which some of us consider a plus) soundstage from bowls worn the correct (supra-aural) way. And chamber music / lieder are particularly good.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #14 of 168
I love my 325is! The only shortcoming I have with em are when I listen to "Kid Rock" or the like.There is no visceral impact.  The notes are there, just with not what I would call authoritative.  I think I'm going to go with the Denon 7k for the bigger slam type music, but I don't see myself ever giving up the Grado experience.  Just too much fun!
dt880smile.png

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 168
By the way, don't forget the HF-2's they are also within your price range. I have a pair of 125i's and love them with most of my music. However, for Jaz vocals I still prefer the akg 701's. I would also say the tape on the bowls mod has improved the base and is a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back