To Electrostat not to Electrostat
Jun 20, 2023 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

TDHEAD

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone . Long time 2 channel guy, lots of audio over the years. Krell. B&W, Meridian, Wadia, Martin Logan etc. Its been about 10 years since my last system (have been saving for my next system for when retirement came ) That day came and last year I splurged and invested in a headphone system as my days of taking over a Room in the house with audio equipment have come to an end, fairly I might say for my wife: The system is:

The DCS Lina system
AB 1266 HP
Susvara HP

Great set up feel fortunate but am considering another direction. With all the systems I have had over many decades my favorite has always included electrostatic Speakers with a good sub woofer addition..............for my money the cleanest sounding I enjoyed most. I'm wondering if this translates to Headphones. I see more and more about them.

I am considering selling it all and getting into a hi-end E-stat headphone set up :Systems like:
Aperian by Warwick
Shangri-la JR hifiman
and others.......................I am not sure if I am making a good move given the above equipment but can't forget the sound of all my e-stats and the quick audition I was able to do with the crazy end Shangri-la SR ( a bit more than retirement allows.......

Anyone have thoughts, opinions, comments on the two types of systems, equipment ???????????????

Jun 20, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 32
So electrostats can get expensive, but you already have a The DCS Lina, so assuming that you use the power link interconnect for everything that has it, for you can get a KGSSHV Carbon from Mjolnir Audio to connect to the Lina DAC’s XLR, while starting out with a Stax SR-L700 mkii now and upgrade later.

Jun 21, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 32
Bass is going to be a problem. An estat speaker system with a sub would probably be ideal for me too, but you can't really emulate a sub with estat headphones. The HE-1 has good bass actually, but not so much the others. The CRBN and X9K are better than most, but they are not like your 1266 or Susvara. Some people do add a sub to their headphone setup, so if your space allows for that, maybe that is an option.

Also, have you considered the SR1a or CA1a? I haven't heard the CA1a, but the SR1a was great. It is very speaker like, with very high resolution. With the filters you can get better bass too, and supposedly the tube amp that Raal makes has even better bass (never heard it). It might be worth a look.

I sold my SR1a after I got my Shang Sr, as the Shang had even higher resolution (which is crazy). The Shang has minimal sub bass (it exists, but it's just not to the levels I would prefer), but everything else about it is great. The X9K is really good too, but it has a softer sound (kind of like the Susvara). The CRBN was average, but has great bass for an estat. I'd recommend the X9K before that though definitely.

I heard the T2 and the Grand Cayman and compared them with my 3ES Elite (though not side by side). The T2 has better bass impact, but doesn't extend as low as the 3ES. The Grand Cayman was good, but it didn't really strike me as better than the T2. I tried the Viva STX as well, but didn't really like it. I was going to sell my 3ES Elite if I liked the T2 or Grand Cayman enough, but they just aren't that much better to warrant the change. If I had to to it all again, I'd get the T2 though. Yes, it doesn't extend as low as the 3ES, but I like the bass impact on it more (though it's still not dynamic or planar levels by any means, so we're talking a few degrees here).

I haven't heard the Aperio, but from reports it appears that it may have light bass as well. Apparently everything else is amazing though.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 32
Hello everyone . Long time 2 channel guy, lots of audio over the years. Krell. B&W, Meridian, Wadia, Martin Logan etc. Its been about 10 years since my last system (have been saving for my next system for when retirement came ) That day came and last year I splurged and invested in a headphone system as my days of taking over a Room in the house with audio equipment have come to an end, fairly I might say for my wife: The system is:

The DCS Lina system
AB 1266 HP
Susvara HP

Great set up feel fortunate but am considering another direction. With all the systems I have had over many decades my favorite has always included electrostatic Speakers with a good sub woofer addition..............for my money the cleanest sounding I enjoyed most. I'm wondering if this translates to Headphones. I see more and more about them.
I am considering selling it all and getting into a hi-end E-stat headphone set up :Systems like:
Aperian by Warwick
Shangri-la JR hifiman
and others.......................I am not sure if I am making a good move given the above equipment but can't forget the sound of all my e-stats and the quick audition I was able to do with the crazy end Shangri-la SR ( a bit more than retirement allows.......
Anyone have thoughts, opinions, comments on the two types of systems, equipment ???????????????
I was a panel guy for many years starting with Magnepan in 1978, several of those including the true ribbon 3.* series; a Duetta, Quad ESL, a number of ML's - the CLS IIz w/ Gradient subs. So we come out of the same place.

I find the DCA Voce to have the best/natural timbre on the estat side (have not heard the latest Stax or any Warwicks) but you need a HFM Jr or better for them. But recently the Raal CA-1a w/ filter on a DAVE and Pass INT-25, which outside of the scale/volume/physicality of room speakers sits atop the greatest reproduced sound I have heard along with the MBL speakers, and past any ML, Maggie, and my last high end speaker the Verity Parsifal. That filter would also do some big things for other SoTA type equipment I imagine too. Read up on them here and elsewhere. My estat dreams are done in favor of the Raals. My last target speaker has a Rall tweeter too (the BMR Philharmonic Monitor).

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 32
Hmm, i would think about that twice. Are you happy with the extremely good dynamics and bass of the 1266? because you will lose that, all of it.

They had all three ultra highend systems at Munich: I heard the Aperio, i was not impressed, it felt lifeless. The Shangri-La was very good, but only powered by the junior amp, so underpowered. Still great, but not mindblowing. The best thing that i've heard was the HE-1. It's insanely expensive in comparison to the others (since the smart way to get a Shangri-La system is to get the headphone for 12k and then a different amp for 10-15k). That thing was true magic.

You will gain a lot of clarity and details and naturalness, even more than on the Susvara. If that is what you want, go for it. But you will lose a lot of other things, especially the ability to sidegrade and A/B stuff.
The best thing would be to test a higher end stax system, maybe X9000, maybe Shangri-La junior.

Jun 21, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 32
I have enjoyed the sound of every electrostatic I have tried; both headphones and speakers.
That being said, I do not own any anymore... there may be a reason for that.

Everyone enjoys different aspects of music enjoyment and tuning, though.
I tend to prefer a thicker or warmer sound these days. Mainly by means of a sizable sub-bass shelf and slight mid-bass shelf.
I'm also fairly sensitive in the 6.5-7.5k or so region, as well, so a lot of electrostatics are tuned in a way that causes me pain.

Jun 21, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 32
Bass is going to be a problem. An estat speaker system with a sub would probably be ideal for me too, but you can't really emulate a sub with estat headphones. The HE-1 has good bass actually, but not so much the others. The CRBN and X9K are better than most, but they are not like your 1266 or Susvara. Some people do add a sub to their headphone setup, so if your space allows for that, maybe that is an option.

Also, have you considered the SR1a or CA1a? I haven't heard the CA1a, but the SR1a was great. It is very speaker like, with very high resolution. With the filters you can get better bass too, and supposedly the tube amp that Raal makes has even better bass (never heard it). It might be worth a look.

I sold my SR1a after I got my Shang Sr, as the Shang had even higher resolution (which is crazy). The Shang has minimal sub bass (it exists, but it's just not to the levels I would prefer), but everything else about it is great. The X9K is really good too, but it has a softer sound (kind of like the Susvara). The CRBN was average, but has great bass for an estat. I'd recommend the X9K before that though definitely.

I heard the T2 and the Grand Cayman and compared them with my 3ES Elite (though not side by side). The T2 has better bass impact, but doesn't extend as low as the 3ES. The Grand Cayman was good, but it didn't really strike me as better than the T2. I tried the Viva STX as well, but didn't really like it. I was going to sell my 3ES Elite if I liked the T2 or Grand Cayman enough, but they just aren't that much better to warrant the change. If I had to to it all again, I'd get the T2 though. Yes, it doesn't extend as low as the 3ES, but I like the bass impact on it more (though it's still not dynamic or planar levels by any means, so we're talking a few degrees here).

I haven't heard the Aperio, but from reports it appears that it may have light bass as well. Apparently everything else is amazing though.

I always find your perspective highly valuable, even though we have different listening preferences, genres, etc. Estat bass is just not going to be convincing across the board in comparison to others.

The SGL Sr., my favorite which is an absolute marvel for resolution, is still very much light in bass overall compared to planars, dynamics, etc.

Same thoughts on the SGL Sr. vs. SR1a in terms of how it's simply better. And similar to the CA-1a vs. Sr. although I do find the Ca-1a to have slightly better bass overall. Still, the Sr. is just better overall and more resolving with better realism and timbre. Very easily. But the Ca-1a comes close enough vs. the price difference to make it extremely relevant overall. If I were in the market to start a system, I'd start with them first given the price to performance ratio. I've said the same with the x9000, although its presentation makes it a companion/alternative rather than a single headphone to own, which I don't find with the Ca-1a.

And although the T2 provides the best bass performance for any stats of any amp I have ever heard, it doesn't change the dynamic of the gaps that exist between them and planars/dynamics. Agree there again. Easily from what I have experienced, the best amp for a stat collection lover, but no.. it doesn't change the landscape of bass for stats.

Jun 22, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 32
Loving all your comments. I am starting with the SGL JR. I’ll use my Lina Dac/streamer to start while I market the Lina and the 1266’s. From that point I’m thinking of going possible to the SGR SR headphone and then doing the amp/Dac/streamer search………invaluable input guys thanks….keep it coming

Jun 22, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 32
Lina isn't a good match for 1266 so your return value is poor especially comparative to the potential of T2+.

I would recommend you arrange a demo of a stat system before you jump -- the shortcomings off all the electrostatic headphones are a known quality and depending on your music and listening preference, could definitely be an Achilles.

I'd counter your rig swap for 300B output which is very transformative for planar drive which puts it up with the best, it additionally is just an arguably more balanced sound.
However, the one to rule them all is always a concession, I'd encourage a secondary acquisition of SR1a or CA1a which with an included interface can be paired with your primary amplifier of choice.

Jun 22, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 32
Thank you. I really appreciate your input. I do have to respectfully disagree with one point on the AB 1266. It sounds fantastic. In addition, if you go to the Abyss video’s on you tube you will see Joe Stubinski the owner and chief engineer of Abyss say the LINA is the best amp for his 1266 period! Those were his words I’m quoting. Have you heard them on the Lina?

Jun 22, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 32
Thank you. I really appreciate your input. I do have to respectfully disagree with one point on the AB 1266. It sounds fantastic. In addition, if you go to the Abyss video’s on you tube you will see Joe Stubinski the owner and chief engineer of Abyss say the LINA is the best amp for his 1266 period! Those were his words I’m quoting. Have you heard them on the Lina?
Try comparing the LINA to another rig, the amplification is a clear bottleneck. Also exacerbated with Susvara which is already stat-lite.

Jun 22, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 32
Would have been more convincing if they don't also sell the LINA on their web site...
I am sure a lot of Susvara owners would not agree the LINA is a good driver.

I am your opposite, I am seriously considering selling my estat and go all-in into Planars.
But if you like estat I'd say go for it because if you don't do it, the idea will stuck in you mind forever. until you do it one day..
I agree on others as well you better demo a bit more different systems if you get a chance.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 32
Try comparing the LINA to another rig, the amplification is a clear bottleneck. Also exacerbated with Susvara which is already stat-lite.

Absolutely agree. I would definitely add a dedicated amp that can properly power both, you are likely going to see a considerable improvement for both, and certainly the Susvara.

Jun 22, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 32
Would have been more convincing if they don't also sell the LINA on their web site...
I am sure a lot of Susvara owners would not agree the LINA is a good driver.

I am your opposite, I am seriously considering selling my estat and go all-in into Planars.
But if you like estat I'd say go for it because if you don't do it, the idea will stuck in you mind forever. until you do it one day..
I agree on others as well you better demo a bit more different systems if you get a chance.
Agree, anyone have the Susvara dedicated amp from HIFIman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back