To Electrostat not to Electrostat
Jul 4, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #31 of 32
Honestly, I have a pet theory that shang sr is just as capable (if not more so) than sus in bass. Its just that we dont have anything that properly runs it yet (not even T2).
That would be close to the holy grail! Are you thinking we just need a lot more power or current?

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #32 of 32
That would be close to the holy grail! Are you thinking we just need a lot more power or current?

My honest guess is that its more complicated than just "not enough power". Trying shang on a variety of amps it seems to need something different than most other estats. While stuff like omega and 007 will just loose some impact on some amps, shang seems to change entierly. After another listen on STX for example (now that I know the can better) it didnt feel like a FR tilt, but instead felt like it developed some spikes in the trebble that it doesnt have on stuff like Z10e or BHSE (been too ling since ive heard T2 or GC to comment there). I am honestly wondering if what we are hearing (and what causes issues with shang) is its weird multiple stator design not responding well to something within amps. The closest thing I can really compare it to is how OI messes with IEMs that dont have crossovers in *very* weird ways. This guess comes from the fact that shang seems to respond quite differently to transformers than other cans do with it changing far more depending on amp I use woo wee on than x9k or 009s do, but seemingly being a bit more well behaved on hybrid and solid state amps even when they vastly underpower it. I would need more time on more amps at home to say for sure though (mainly more time with T2/3es/GC on a dac I know) which is why I'm keeping it a pet theory for now.

So far, the best ive heard shang run (and by quite a margin) was the new @Ray Samuels B21. Obviously cant comment on absalute technical level from show conditions, but its easily the estat amp I have the most hope for right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back