To crossfeed or not to crossfeed? That is the question...
Aug 6, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #2,116 of 2,146
Haha, this is exactly why I wrote "Most of it isn't written in English" instead of naming a language, since I thought it might be Portuguese, but didn't want to embarrass myself just in case it was Spanish (or something else).
You can always copy paste a sentence to Google translate with auto language detection chosen. I don't speak Spanish nor Portuguese, but I kind of can tell them apart, because they have a different feel/look*/sound. So I recognised the language to be Portuguese and seeing the work is done in Brazil confirmed it for me. To my ears Portuguese is more beautiful than Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese is even more beautiful than Portuguese spoken in Portugal.

* Portuguese has çã/çõ that easily sets it apart from Spanish.

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #2,117 of 2,146
Apparently you don't read Portuguese either
Correct and I didn’t look at it long enough to notice the difference, just long enough to know it wasn’t the paper I was referring to.

G

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #2,118 of 2,146
Lingueca is good.

Sep 8, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,119 of 2,146
I watched a YT video in which someone listed their EDM favorites. Most of those artists I haven't gotten much into or even heard about before. I decided to check the recommended albums out on Spotify. Why not? I started with Pendulum's Hold Your Colour. Not the most interesting music, except for the fifth track "Through The Loop" which is nice neurofunk. I like that one. The last track "Axel Grinder" is cool too. Anyway, the reason why I write about this here is that the album is mixed very well for headphones and I find the spatiality good without crossfeed. The channel separation is very limited at low frequencies and increases with frequency. This is how you mix for headphones! How good the soundstage is on speakers is another thing and I haven't tested yet, but I supposed it isn't bad...

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #2,120 of 2,146
anaglyph-gui.jpg

Anaglyph, 3D to your ears - High-definition binaural spatialization engine (it's free)

http://anaglyph.dalembert.upmc.fr/index.html

Anaglyph is part of an ongoing research effort into the perceptual and technical capabilities of binaural rendering. The Anaglyph binaural audio engine is a VST audio plugin for binaural spatialization integrating the results of over a decade of spatial hearing research. Anaglyph has been designed as an audio plugin to both support ongoing research efforts as well as to make accessible the fruits of this research to audio engineers through traditional existing DAW environments. Among its features, Anaglyph includes a personalizable morphological ITD model, near-field ILD and HRTF parallax corrections, a Localization Enhancer, an Externalization Booster, and SOFA HRIR file support. The basic architecture and implementation of each audio-related component is presented here.

https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19544

PDF: https://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20240327/19544.pdf

1711589224166.png

To create two virtual sources (e.g., left and right speakers), two instances of the plugin are required.
Also, it should be interesting to experiment with creating more than two sources (e.g., rear channels or the center channel, etc.).

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #2,121 of 2,146
I couldn't get this working, because my computer couldn't identify the author and if this is malware. The site is not secure! I tried Garageband, because that's the only "host" I have.

These things almost never work for me. That's why I use my DIY crossfeeder. No malware hassle of software solutions.

I wanted to try this out, but it is what it is...

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #2,122 of 2,146
I couldn't get this working, because my computer couldn't identify the author and if this is malware. The site is not secure! I tried Garageband, because that's the only "host" I have.

These things almost never work for me. That's why I use my DIY crossfeeder. No malware hassle of software solutions.

I wanted to try this out, but it is what it is...
What are you talking about? It works both on my home computer (Windows 7) and on my office computer (Windows 10).

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #2,123 of 2,146
It works, but I also got a warning that something wasn't allowed in part of the VST host. Given that I never got that message, it does point toward the just added Anaglyph.

The guys who made it are legit, the website's address is the right one. Beyond that, IDK.

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #2,124 of 2,146
There is also Panagement. Listening to it right now. Sounds awesome!

1711715731552.png

It's now V 2.6, it's much more advanced and more sophisticated now, compared to V1 I had tried before.

It also requires two instances of the plugin to simulate two channels.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #2,125 of 2,146
What are you talking about? It works both on my home computer (Windows 7) and on my office computer (Windows 10).
Well I am using Mac.

It works, but I also got a warning that something wasn't allowed in part of the VST host. Given that I never got that message, it does point toward the just added Anaglyph.

The guys who made it are legit, the website's address is the right one. Beyond that, IDK.
When I started Garageband, it scans for the AUs and while doing so it gives me the warning. The options are "move to bin" or "cancel". I pressed cancel which makes garageband warn me again (like stuck in a loop). The only way to get out is choosing "move to bin" that moves the AU in the bin and Garageband opens without it.

Maybe I should try again, but I was VERY nervous because my Mac took this so seriously as potential malware.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #2,126 of 2,146
Garageband opens after two times of "cancel", but without this effect. Mac help doesn't help. Seems like there is no way to use effects downloaded from site that don't support HTTPS! How stupid from Anaglyph's part to offer downloads but not HTTPS support.

This is why I hate computers so much. In theory EVERYTHING is possible. In practise almost nothing works unless you are a millionaire and can buy yourself around the obstacles.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 17 . 08 .16.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 17 . 08 .16.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #2,127 of 2,146
Garageband opens after two times of "cancel", but without this effect. Mac help doesn't help. Seems like there is no way to use effects downloaded from site that don't support HTTPS! How stupid from Anaglyph's part to offer downloads but not HTTPS support.
I noticed that in Safari, I don't have problems trying to download off that site. Chrome, however gives you a warning about it potentially not being safe because it's not https. I'd say that's partly the browser's concern. Though Google has also really pushed for web security. To have a good SEO, Google required websites to have a SSL. For the developers of this site, though, getting a SSL isn't too hard these days. There are services that have them for free (though you tend to have to renew more frequently).
This is why I hate computers so much. In theory EVERYTHING is possible. In practise almost nothing works unless you are a millionaire and can buy yourself around the obstacles.
This is more a Mac thing. I think Apple has gone overboard about the blocks they put on 3rd party software. For work, I needed VM software that I had to reinstall every time there was a OS upgrade (and because Oracle didn't have an up to date certificate, and I've to uninstall and say yes to enabling accessibility). For the alert about Anaglyph.component....did you go to system settings/privacy and security? Usually, when you see that message: go to that setting. You'll see a message about that program not being trusted (because the developer doesn't have an up to date Apple certificate). You'll see an option to "open anyway". Normally that will also enable privacy settings.

Just trying on my Mac....looks like this is true:
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 2.47.31 PM.png

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #2,128 of 2,146
I noticed that in Safari, I don't have problems trying to download off that site. Chrome, however gives you a warning about it potentially not being safe because it's not https. I'd say that's partly the browser's concern. Though Google has also really pushed for web security. To have a good SEO, Google required websites to have a SSL. For the developers of this site, though, getting a SSL isn't too hard these days. There are services that have them for free (though you tend to have to renew more frequently).
Downloading is not the problem.

This is more a Mac thing.
Yes and I am using a Mac so Mac things are my things.

I think Apple has gone overboard about the blocks they put on 3rd party software. For work, I needed VM software that I had to reinstall every time there was a OS upgrade (and because Oracle didn't have an up to date certificate, and I've to uninstall and say yes to enabling accessibility). For the alert about Anaglyph.component....did you go to system settings/privacy and security?
Yes, but it didn't help.

Usually, when you see that message: go to that setting. You'll see a message about that program not being trusted (because the developer doesn't have an up to date Apple certificate). You'll see an option to "open anyway". Normally that will also enable privacy settings.

Just trying on my Mac....looks like this is true:
Thanks! Indeed the Allow anyway option appears when I try to open Garageband, but my problem is I can't find the effect in Garageband. Maybe Garageband doesn't support it? This is so frustrating! Can you use it in Garageband yourself?

I can find the effect in Audacity, but my Mac doesn't allow the use of it even when I select Allow anyway.

IT HAS TO BE DOWNLOADED USING HTTPS!!!!!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #2,129 of 2,146
Thanks! Indeed the Allow anyway option appears when I try to open Garageband, but my problem is I can't find the effect in Garageband. Maybe Garageband doesn't support it? This is so frustrating! Can you use it in Garageband yourself?

I can find the effect in Audacity, but my Mac doesn't allow the use of it even when I select Allow anyway.

IT HAS TO BE DOWNLOADED USING HTTPS!!!!!
The https warning is a separate browser alert (Chrome especially doesn't like unsecure links). There's another level of security with Macs in that applications have to have a certificate in order to be marked "safe" for installation. So I've played around more with these two plugins: I'd say Panagement is going to be your safer option. I had no issues downloading it or installing the pkg on Mac (Sonoma). So it has the current Apple certificate. It may also show up in Garageband. I'm not familiar with Garageband, so I'm not sure where to load different effects (and maybe it doesn't support these AUs). It looks like Anaglyph is more intended for game design if the download instructions are mainly talking about installing for Unity game engine (and it also doesn't have an up to date Apple certificate for being a "trusted" install). Panagement has an easy installer, and maybe since it's a trusted plugin, Garageband will recognize it (it it's not limited to certain types of AUs).

I've found that probably the best audio player for Mac that lets you use both these plugins is Vox. To get the AUs to load, though, you need to pay for the premium edition ($50/yr). But seems really user friendly. There was no issue adding Panagement. To get Anaglyph to load, Vox gave a warning that it would have to lower its security level.

screen-vox.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #2,130 of 2,146
Doing some more playing around with AUs, I think there's some better ones that are easier to use (at least with Apple soundcard/headphone out). Toneboosters has an older loudspeaker virtualization module (free) that seems to have a lot of potential. Its installer has a lot of effects (that certainly do load with any Mac DAW). They have a more recent headphone customization one that costs money (I'm sure are even better, and work natively with Apple Silicon Macs). Scroll down to bottom for Legacy V3

There may be a few more free ones to try also: certainly can take awhile to dial in to your preferences and HRTF. I'll be doing some more playing around of these 3...so far the Anaglyph seems to have too much distortion (sound can change quite a bit with just some small increments). At best, I can hear a sound-field where instruments have a more forward radius (though a front image that's not going to my forehead still seems hard).

I see that gregorio has posted on here about the difficulty with individualized HRTF. I don't know if he is aware of any of the best commercial headphone virtualization plugins, or if he focuses on mixing for speakers. I also don't know how popular these are now that headphone virtualization seems to be going to 3D audio engines rendering binaural. I think since I can play all my music on my NAS through VOX (as well as Apple Music), I'm willing to tinker and try these free ones (maybe pay the $50 for a paid effect if it's known to be good).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back