TMA-1 vs M50 vs...Any other options strictly for portable use? Help
Mar 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I have my Pro 750s and want to leave those are home.

I need a pair of strictly portable headphones, and I've really been looking at the TMA-1s because I've heard they're on par with, if not better than the HD 25-1s. I loved my 25s, but hated the cable, and the death grip on your head.

From what I've heard, the TMAs are a little more loose, and honestly, I like the style and cable on them. Plus, I've heard they're amazing.

Anyway, I was pretty set on them until I see a lot of people with M50s for portable rigs.

--

I'll be listening to mostly Electronic music. Example, I've been listening to a lot of Skrillex, Feed Me, and Logistics lately.

I need fast accurate Bass more than anything.

Suggestions?

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 4
I don't listen to the bands you mentioned, but I can tell you the bass on Black Eyed Peas' is good with M50. Actually even overwhelming at times. I use the eq function on the J3 to turn it down. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 4
The TMA-1 is NOT better than the HD25-1. This is a rumor that seems impossible to erase from Head-Fi's collective consciousness. 
normal_smile .gif

The TMA-1 is dark, boomy but with good midrange. A/B'ing them with the HD25-1 one must admit that the TMA-1 is veiled in comparison. It does look better than the HD25-1 if you're into the whole design thing. Check out the dedicated TMA-1 thread for more comparisons with the HD25-1 II. I think people that prefer the TMA-1 over the HD25-1 are either bassheads or haven't heard the HD25-1 II but are caught in the whole Flavor Of The Month (FOTM) thing surrounding the TMA. The HD25's "death-grip" goes away after time when the pleather adjusts or you can just buy the velour pads. The cable can be replaced by a HD580/HD600/HD650 cable. 

Just check the TMA thread, a lot of people are returning their's in favour of the Sennheiser. I own both so feel free to ask me about them. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 4

I've owned the HD 25-1s. They WERE amazing headphones, top 3. I will say this though, I got my TMA-1s yesterday and I really like them so far. They are REALLY dark, but I'm okay with that. I think they're a little more dependent on an amp to really bring out some color.

I'm still glad I ended up with the TMA-1s overall. They're much more comfortable (to me, I have a really big head) than the 25s. Even after stretching the 25s like crazy. They are super sexy, too. All in all, great purchase.
Quote:
The TMA-1 is NOT better than the HD25-1. This is a rumor that seems impossible to erase from Head-Fi's collective consciousness. 
normal_smile .gif

The TMA-1 is dark, boomy but with good midrange. A/B'ing them with the HD25-1 one must admit that the TMA-1 is veiled in comparison. It does look better than the HD25-1 if you're into the whole design thing. Check out the dedicated TMA-1 thread for more comparisons with the HD25-1 II. I think people that prefer the TMA-1 over the HD25-1 are either bassheads or haven't heard the HD25-1 II but are caught in the whole Flavor Of The Month (FOTM) thing surrounding the TMA. The HD25's "death-grip" goes away after time when the pleather adjusts or you can just buy the velour pads. The cable can be replaced by a HD580/HD600/HD650 cable. 

Just check the TMA thread, a lot of people are returning their's in favour of the Sennheiser. I own both so feel free to ask me about them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back