Tips, Tricks and Recommendations for the Headphones enthusiast (UPDATED)
Sep 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #17 of 48
Remember: There is always something better. If you ever have the feeling that your headphone is not good enough, it isn't. Your amplifier is never good enough and neither is your source. After you understand that, just give up and just listen to the dam music.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #18 of 48
Attend a meet! Probably the most time- and money-saving move that a serious Head-Fi member could make, even if you have to travel to get to one.

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #19 of 48
Everybody has a favorite 'fan boy' house sound but remember variety may surprise you!

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #20 of 48
After reviewing this post about a week days ago, I decided to give it a shot and start a blog about headphones and my experience with them, I just started it a couple days ago, so Im covering just the very basic stuff in 2 posts... 

http://mrheadphones.blogspot.com/

Feel free to take a look around and comment about it and if you find any misspeling, grammar mistake or technical error please let me know (English is my second language)

Cheers!

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #22 of 48
Tnks lovleylady, I have many friends that are just starting and is like a FAQ and later I'll add reviews and general comments about music and HPs... :)  And also is a quite unique situation because Im in Mexico and not much people take special care when buying headphones here, but I write in english because of the potential audience around the world.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #23 of 48

If you're wearing an expensive set of headphones out, that look similar to Beats, don't go down that dark alley.

Seriously. Not speaking on my behalf, but I've heard the stories.

Only you can prevent headphone jacking.

I just carry a gun. :cool:

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #24 of 48
If you use headphones with a long leash as portables then it is a good idea to let the wire through the belt loops on your pants. Depending on your "equator" you can cut about 80cm of the overall length. When done properly you can also avoid any hanging wire that may hook onto things.

Headphones with longer jacks and thicker cables tend to mangle up the sockets of portable units if used in a mechanically rough environments as pockets and tight bags.

When using portable solutions always check to avoid any sharp angles and points of bending in the wire, when appropriate use angled or straight connectors.

When setting up a home rig try to avoid letting the wire to hang and put tension onto the jacks. Especially if it's a laptop connection that gets frequently unplugged.

Grado users must keep in mind that the flat pads easily pick up hairs that poke through the pad into the driver, it is evident as a rattling at low frequencies. A temporary remedy is to turn the pad, but the lazy and their headphones are soon parted. Also check from time to time if the wires going from the Y splitter to the drivers are not twisted.

To IEM users- keep in mind, when sharing the fun of good sound, that not everyone is as hygiene conscious as you.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #25 of 48
And what is the proper way to coil the cord? Same way with a guitar cord? When you use a velcro strap do you coil it into a small circle or go back and forth and pinch the cable with 5'' or so switchbacks? I usually just throw it around my head, but this is at home with no accidents.
The wires at the Y splitter already came twisted on my SR60...........
When the battery is dying on your Amp you should just replace it right? With mine i had to turn the volume all the way up and i'm sure the instructions said not to do that.
I learned the thing about the portable jacks a while ago.

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #26 of 48
I think that it should be wise to unwind them, those wires seem to be one of the weakest points of the headphone. Just twist the cups a bit. Also I'm not sure how well those wires are fixated inside the cup, if its only a knot that inhibits the pulling to transfer to solder points then there is chance that it is able to twist and in that way put tension to solder points.

I coil it by going back and forth to avoid narrow angles. Though I'm not sure if anyone has actually broken a wire by coiling.

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #28 of 48
My first half-decent earbuds fell victim to a rabbit. Drivers were intact though the wire was split neatly in eleven pieces. I really felt like reaching for the holly hand grenade.

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #29 of 48
Clean connectors regularly

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #30 of 48
As well as any other parts in your audio chain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back