Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #241 of 1,162
Quote:
Anyone know what the output impedance is on these?

Oh, and ClieOS, could you post the measurements you did?

Quote:
you are talking about the dac output ? 10 ohms j think

Already posted a while ago:

Quote:
I won't recommend it. UD100 has plenty of voltage, but it isn't designed to supply a lot of current. Also, with roughly 250ohm of output impedance, you will never get enough dampening. Plus, colouration will likely be a big issue as well.

Again, the output impedance is supposed to be this high on a DAC. The general rule is the input impedance of the amp should be minimum 10x higher, 2.5k ohm in this case. ODAC output impedance is around 500ohm and the recommended input impedance of 5k ohm.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #244 of 1,162
i do hear static from my UD100 when my laptop is being charged

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #246 of 1,162
Oh I'm very sure it is my power source. Once I disconnect my charger the unit runs very quiet.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #247 of 1,162
Quote:
Oh I'm very sure it is my power source. Once I disconnect my charger the unit runs very quiet.

One solution for you would be quite an expensive one.
http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

iFi Audio iUSB. It provides clean power to your USB peripheral, which in this case the UD100 DAC. I've never tried it myself, however, they boast to have a lower noise floor than a 9V battery.
Try it out and tell us how it performs.

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #248 of 1,162
Quote:
One solution for you would be quite an expensive one.
http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

iFi Audio iUSB. It provides clean power to your USB peripheral, which in this case the UD100 DAC. I've never tried it myself, however, they boast to have a lower noise floor than a 9V battery.
Try it out and tell us how it performs.

Hey thanks! I have considered adding an USB isolator but it doesn't justify the cost or the size. With that little noise I can just play some music and get away from it. If I am to critically listen to a song or two I'll just unplug the charger.

Just writing it down so people don't panic when their UD100 has some noise.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #249 of 1,162
Hi, I'm currently using the E7 docked to a E9 and was thinking of replacing the E7 with the new Hifimediy sabre dac with isolator. What would you guys think of the this combination with the E9. Will there be any compatablility issue with this combination. I've been following this thread and would appreciate some inputs from you guys which has more experience to help clear my mind. Looks forward to your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #250 of 1,162
Quote:
Hi, I'm currently using the E7 docked to a E9 and was thinking of replacing the E7 with the new Hifimediy sabre dac with isolator. What would you guys think of the this combination with the E9. Will there be any compatablility issue with this combination. I've been following this thread and would appreciate some inputs from you guys which has more experience to help clear my mind. Looks forward to your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

You should be fine.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #251 of 1,162
Quote:

You should be fine.

Hi ClieOs, thanks for chipping in. Appreciate it.

In your opinion, would the Hifimediy dac be an upgrade or side grade against the E7 solely as a dac. I'm also curious with the difference in the general sound signature between the 2 different dac chips used.The E7 being the only dac I've own and have always felt that it's a little peaky on the highs and would like to improve on this. Do you feel that the Hifimediy dac would give me the result I"m looking for. Lastly, I will appreciate your take in regards to the isolator used in the new Hifimediy dac. How much of a improvement will it gives compared to the older version without the islolator.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #252 of 1,162
Have not heard the Hifimediy DAC myself, but given the similarity of hardware between it and the ODAC, I'll say the improvement should be very noticeable.

USB isolator itself doesn't improve SQ. It is meant to remove noise from the USB port if there is noise. If there isn't any noise, then you won't notice it is there at all.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #253 of 1,162
Quote:
Have not heard the Hifimediy DAC myself, but given the similarity of hardware between it and the ODAC, I'll say the improvement should be very noticeable.

USB isolator itself doesn't improve SQ. It is meant to remove noise from the USB port if there is noise. If there isn't any noise, then you won't notice it is there at all.

Great. Thanks for the input. I've not notice any noise from my usb port and so I think maybe I don't need one with a isolator after all. Thanks again ClieOs.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #254 of 1,162
Two days ago Stoner Acoustic's last email to me said that they would ship the dac out shortly and update me with the tracking number. I understand that it will take quite some time to make it to my house, but how long did it take them to ship your guys' dacs? I'm fine waiting, I just wanted to know if they tend to ship it out a while before giving the tracking number, just so I can get an idea of when it will be here.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #255 of 1,162
Quote:
Two days ago Stoner Acoustic's last email to me said that they would ship the dac out shortly and update me with the tracking number. I understand that it will take quite some time to make it to my house, but how long did it take them to ship your guys' dacs? I'm fine waiting, I just wanted to know if they tend to ship it out a while before giving the tracking number, just so I can get an idea of when it will be here.

Took about three weeks for me, from Asia to Europe. Tracking number never worked. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back