Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Jan 30, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #257 of 1,162
Quote:
Hi all, Happy New Year!

I know it's been awhile since I've posted, but I just wanted to post my (old) followup pic of my portable rig with the ud100 and e6 paired with my Galaxy s3.  Still enjoying the combo as it is a great sounding rig and very pocketable despite the multiple connections required.

Hi Reesh20,

May I know how you get digital audio out from your Galaxy S3? I have received my UD100 and tried pairign with my Galaxy S2 running Android 4.0.3. I tried enabled the "Use external speakers when device is docked" option but I cannot get any audio out to the DAC.

My Galaxy S2 can recognize a USB stick storage sucessfully when connects through the same OTG cable

Thanks.

Borrego

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #259 of 1,162
In response to borrego, Android unfortunately doesn't natively support USB audio out :frowning2: DACs work on the Galaxy S 3 because Samsung built USB audio into the GS3 kernel. There are some modder-made kernels that will add USB audio, although you have to reboot your device each time you want to switch between a DAC and normal phone audio :frowning2:  If you'd like to help get USB audio support built into native Android, check out this: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614 issue thread and give it a star, I'm sure Google's seen this thread already, but the more stars, the more they get the point that they should add it :) 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #260 of 1,162
Thanks for your comments eyal1983 and wes008. It's a pity the stock Galaxy S2 does not support USB audio. I shall try the UD100 on my Nook Color flashed with CM10 ROM and see if it would work.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #261 of 1,162
Have anyone use this with Note 2 and can tell me your impression im planning on using this with Fiio E6 and Westone 4r as my IEM will it be sufficient to drive this one? or i need to look for other amp?

Thanks

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #265 of 1,162
Quote:
Finally got my UD100 in the mail, and it's output if ridiculously loud :frowning2: unusable with the Magni. Is there any setting on a Mac to turn it down?

Can you reduce the gain on your Magni?

Many smaller amps are designed for low-power sources, like some DAP's and phones, and their gain will be far too high to be used with a source which is capable of 2V RMS output. (Not that I know anything about the UD100 or Magni.)

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #266 of 1,162
Quote:

Can you reduce the gain on your Magni?

Many smaller amps are designed for low-power sources, like some DAP's and phones, and their gain will be far too high to be used with a source which is capable of 2V RMS output. (Not that I know anything about the UD100 or Magni.)

Thanks for the response. The Magni has a fixed 5x gain, so I'm pretty sure that's unchangable :frowning2: oh well. I'll either eat the cost of the UD100, return the Magni, or get some attenuators for the Magni. I just don't see how so many people could have used it before without the issue coming up. Especially with people plugging IEMs straight into the UD100. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #267 of 1,162
Quote:
Thanks for the response. The Magni has a fixed 5x gain, so I'm pretty sure that's unchangable :frowning2: oh well. I'll either eat the cost of the UD100, return the Magni, or get some attenuators for the Magni. I just don't see how so many people could have used it before without the issue coming up. Especially with people plugging IEMs straight into the UD100. 

I recall there were several people who complained about their IEMs are too loud plugged in straight into the UD100. Most of them are advised to get an attenuator or amp for it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #269 of 1,162
Quote:

The UD100 is a DAC only. Why would you stick your headphones directly into a DAC? 

True, it is a dac, but people have used it by just plugging headphones into it. Not the best practice, but I don't think this thing is powerful enough to do any real dammage.

And penmarker thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll just have to get some attenuators :frowning2:

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #270 of 1,162
Why don't you grab a little fiio e5  or e6 amp instead of an attenuator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back