Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Apr 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #276 of 1,162
anyone order one recently? i tried facebook and his email.... been a few days

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #278 of 1,162
Does anyone know if the Hifimediy Sabre DAC works with 2.1 active speakers connecting to a macbook air?

Thanks a million

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #279 of 1,162
Alrighty, sorry no one has been in this thread. Let's answer some stuff.

anyone order one recently? i tried facebook and his email.... been a few days

Did you email his Stoner Acoustics email?

going to get the S4 and would like something truly portable.

That's gonna be an awesome combo :) 

Does anyone know if the Hifimediy Sabre DAC works with 2.1 active speakers connecting to a macbook air?

Thanks a million

Yes it should! Just run the RCA cables to each speaker. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #280 of 1,162
Quote:
FWIW, check out this thread....supposedly there are 'problems' with the design of some of the HiFimed dacs (as well as the ODAC), and fixes are discussed.  I guess whether one thinks there are problems might depend upon whether you believe all dacs/chips perform about the same, jitter is irrelevant, etc. 

I do not have the technical background to weigh in, nor do I want to start an "objectivist" vs "subjectivist" flame-war.....

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2260&p=47240&hilit=Thorsten#p47240

Interesting.  I went back to using the DACport into my Audioengine A2 and IEM months ago, but not because the HiFiMeDIY or UD100 sucked or anything...  I like the extra clarity and depth, and analog volume control more.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #281 of 1,162
I'm interested in getting a DAC for my laptop but I'm actually rather clueless. From what I've gathered, DAC will replace the onboard audio but I'm wondering is an extra amp a must? I listen to music at a really low volume and even the onboard audio (Realtek HD Audio(?) from VAIO FW) is loud enough, sometimes even too loud for me when using earphones (with 32 ohms.) I would also like to use them with active speakers (Creative T20.) People are saying that DAC --> earphones is just not the right way to go. I'm trying to get a budget upgrade so if an amp is considered a must, would the Fiio E6 suffice? Or will the Fiio E10 (serving as both DAC and amp) with similar price do a better job? Thanks!

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #282 of 1,162
Thing is a DAC is not designed the output the correct signal level for any speakers / headphones / in ears etc. An 'amplifier' is required not to 'amplify' or enlarge the signal, but rather to adjust the signal so the gain is correct - at a certain range of course.

So if you do choose to go with the UD100, I would advice you to get an amp - yes even an E6. And yes alternatively you can try source a E10 which is a DAC + amp in itself.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #284 of 1,162
Quote:
Thing is a DAC is not designed the output the correct signal level for any speakers / headphones / in ears etc. An 'amplifier' is required not to 'amplify' or enlarge the signal, but rather to adjust the signal so the gain is correct - at a certain range of course.

So if you do choose to go with the UD100, I would advice you to get an amp - yes even an E6. And yes alternatively you can try source a E10 which is a DAC + amp in itself.

Yes this is partially correct. You might have an easily driven pair of headphones or IEMs, but you will still need an amp to attenuate the signal.

Speakers on the other hand usually has built in amps in them. Unless you're using passive speakers, you shouldn't add an amp between the speakers and the DAC. For passive speakers you need speaker amps.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #285 of 1,162
Quote:
Yes this is partially correct. You might have an easily driven pair of headphones or IEMs, but you will still need an amp to attenuate the signal.

Speakers on the other hand usually has built in amps in them. Unless you're using passive speakers, you shouldn't add an amp between the speakers and the DAC. For passive speakers you need speaker amps.

Ahh thanks for the clarification, in fact most starter speakers are active speakers (ones that comes with a volume control). Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back