Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Oct 2, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #901 of 1,427
Anyone tested the P1 with the Xduoo XD-05?

XD-05 is powerful enough to handle the P1, around 6 o'clock in hi gain is just loud enough for me, 7 o'clock is painfully loud.

Oct 2, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #903 of 1,427
Anyone tested the P1 with the Xduoo XD-05 or Topping NX4 DSD or Monoprice THX portable amp?

Or do you really need a the power of a desktop amp?

Thinking of picking up an Emotiva A-100 Bas-X headphone amp or or Geshelli Labs combo for my home desk setup my over ears cans (Modhouse modified MK3 Argons/HiFi Man 4XX/Sennheiser 6xx/Beyerdynamic 770 250ohm/Sennheiser HD414 2000 ohm)

Is that something I can also use to run the P1s with or is that too much power?

The Emotiva amp doesn't cost that much more than the Monoprice portable THX its just not portable
I use a Fiio E12, which has more than enough juice, and a iBasso DC-01, which also drives it sufficiently! No need for a desktop amp

Oct 2, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #904 of 1,427
I am at -28 db with the same set up and can't go much louder

Interesting, -28dB isn't a whisper or anything, but rather quiet for me. I've found with my current hptoy settings that -16dB is the sweet spot for extended sessions. Maybe I just like things loud though? Probably too many rap shows in tiny clubs in my teens and twenties I guess...

Oct 2, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #905 of 1,427
Interesting, -28dB isn't a whisper or anything, but rather quiet for me. I've found with my current hptoy settings that -16dB is the sweet spot for extended sessions. Maybe I just like things loud though? Probably too many rap shows in tiny clubs in my teens and twenties I guess...

or 25 years of mechanical sirens has taken some life out of mine? either way, I too enjoy this combo and find myself using it more than any other (at this moment in time)

Oct 2, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #906 of 1,427
One thing P1 owners or prospective owners should think about is that volume isn't a direct relation to sound quality. 90dB from one source can sound completely different than 90dB from a more powerful source - even though both sources are capable of driving the p1 to 90dB.

I can get the P1 as loud as I can comfortably listen coming straight out of a macbook pro - but that sound is thin and veiled compared to when I have it coming out of the PDV2 at the exact same volume...

The dynamics, staging, imaging, all that is hidden until you start pushing some real power through them. I don't know why this is the case, I'm not an engineer. But it's especially true for planar drivers - and I think manufacturers know this now, but they are hesitant to say so because a) they are worried people will go crazy with power and blow the drivers. and B) because "easy to drive" is better for marketing.

Basically, just because you have the P1 playing loud, it doesn't mean it's being driven properly. <- I know I'm being kind of a bummer here, but I say all this in the hopes that everyone can get the most out of their P1.

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #907 of 1,427
One thing P1 owners or prospective owners should think about is that volume isn't a direct relation to sound quality. 90dB from one source can sound completely different than 90dB from a more powerful source - even though both sources are capable of driving the p1 to 90dB.

I can get the P1 as loud as I can comfortably listen coming straight out of a macbook pro - but that sound is thin and veiled compared to when I have it coming out of the PDV2 at the exact same volume...

The dynamics, staging, imaging, all that is hidden until you start pushing some real power through them. I don't know why this is the case, I'm not an engineer. But it's especially true for planar drivers - and I think manufacturers know this now, but they are hesitant to say so because a) they are worried people will go crazy with power and blow the drivers. and B) because "easy to drive" is better for marketing.

Basically, just because you have the P1 playing loud, it doesn't mean it's being driven properly. <- I know I'm being kind of a bummer here, but I say all this in the hopes that everyone can get the most out of their P1.
You know, this that you are saying about plannars is correct... I just got a set of Fiio FA1, a single BA and kinda cheap and it sounds BETTER than my he400i, why? Because my hifimans are probably under driven/under powered... So, with P1, it should be the same, they need some current... I was being naive and they sounded actually pretty good... but this discovery has opened my eyes haha

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #908 of 1,427
Anyone tested the P1 with the Xduoo XD-05 or Topping NX4 DSD or Monoprice THX portable amp?

Or do you really need a the power of a desktop amp?

Thinking of picking up an Emotiva A-100 Bas-X headphone amp or or Geshelli Labs combo for my home desk setup my over ears cans (Modhouse modified MK3 Argons/HiFi Man 4XX/Sennheiser 6xx/Beyerdynamic 770 250ohm/Sennheiser HD414 2000 ohm)

Is that something I can also use to run the P1s with or is that too much power?

The Emotiva amp doesn't cost that much more than the Monoprice portable THX its just not portable
I've been quite happy using the 4.4mm balanced output of my Hiby R6 Pro with the P1.

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #909 of 1,427
I second the P1 and HiBy R6 Pro balanced out.

Heck the balanced out even drives my Lcd XC. Also has good synergy with my Hd800s.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #912 of 1,427
They seem functionally the same, but they are not planar. They have no idea what they are in the thread.

Oct 3, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #915 of 1,427
well with full EQ the P1 are better than the P1 :wink:
those look like potatoes..

"it got base..." ...dude.. the p1 can make base that your teeth get kicked out if you want... people forget that you can tune your gear. with my harman preset on the E1Da Pdv2 my sundaras in stock sound sounded week in bass. :wink:

but the price is nice! interesting ! and thanks for posting this.
weelllll i am interested now :wink:) hmmm

edit:
well i have convinced myself pretty fast to get those..if they are what they seem to be. lets see some more reviews but will be my "october iems"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back