Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Mar 11, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #1,126 of 1,427
Well, I got them yesterday (Monday) in the mail, and as I posted above, I have been working out of town, so not a lot of time to listen, but I have a bit of time to listen. My first impressions are that they are fantastic, and exactly what I was looking for (to have similar sound sig of my beloved Hifiman HE400S), so I can have a mobile version of those.

While I really like the build of these, when they tooled the 2 halves, they were not the same size. You can really feel it when running your finger over the seam. This hasn't effected fit, or comfort at all, so not REALLY an issue. The amount of tips that come with these is pretty nice, and they are not half as bad as others have said (IMO). I also really love the little carry case that came with them. These are just plain heavy (for being so small), but again, this has not effected how they fit, or stay in my ears. Another non issue to me. The MMCX connectors are really good, and I get a nice audible "snap" when inserting any of the cables I have.

I really don't like the cable they sent with these! The weave is very loose below the "Y" split, though above it, it is pretty decent. I also find that the sound from this cable is not very good, though that could just be because it is 3.5mm SE, and my DAP doesn't really have good enough power to drive these well out of 3.5 SE. I think these were made especially for my ears (mostly), because I took them out of the box and right into my ears (with default medium tips and all), and they fit perfect, sealed perfect, and very comfortable for most of the rest of the night's listen. The composition of the tips did irritate my ears after a few hours, unlike the Final Audio type E tips that don't.

After inserting them a few times, I realized the sound changed a bit, and found out why. As mentioned before there isn't really a good way to hold the tips in place on the stem, so they slip all the way down from the pressure of putting them into your ears. I took an old pair of tips, and cut the bore out and used it as a spacer to keep the tips closer to the end of the stem (worked perfectly). Now I can focus on the sound. I won't give full impressions on sound (from my perspective) just yet. I would like to listen to them for a while before I jump to any conclusions, good OR bad.

I will say this, I can tell immediately that the presence region (3.5k -+) is boosted a bit too much for my tastes, and colors the entire sound to be inaccurate a bit. But, nowadays this is pretty common (especially with the Chinese headphones), so not too big of a deal. I have a pretty good solution for this, that I will get to in a bit.

People were right about the bass on these. The quantity is actually less than on my HE400S, and almost all people that reviewed them said THEY were light on bass, and wanted more. The fix I found (for my ears) is the same as with the 3.5k issue.

I use an app (for my android based iBasso DX160) called USB Audio Player Pro. In this app there is a pay-for add-on called Tonebooster Morphit Mobile. When I first came across this it seemed like a gimmick. You can set your input headphones (what you have), and your output headphones (what you want them to sound like), and there are a ton of big named headphones on the list. meh so what, not really interested in that. BUT...….

The actual main purpose of the module (unbeknownst to me for a long time) is that you pick your headphones, or some that your current headphones sound like, and choose your output as either "Generic HiFi", or "Generic Commute", and the algorithm corrects the flaws known to exist in that specific headphone. So, in my case, I wanted to correct my HE400S (more bass, and less 3.5k). There is no input as HE400S, but there is Sennheiser HD600, which are very similar in sound signature. I set the input to HD600, and the output as Generic Hifi, and OMG they sound absolutely wonderful. The only difference between "Generic HiFi" and "Generic Commute" is the amount of bass it adds. I found that the Generic Commute often adds TOO much bass for my ears, so I stick with Generic HiFi.

The best part of all of this is that you get a good bass (quantity) boost, and a small 3.5k reduction, and you lose absolutely no gain like you would using EQ. Since the P1 sound VERY much like the HE400S (except much more revealing in details), the same settings work fantastically on these. So when I give my impressions on these in about a week or so, it will be from having this setting on all the time, because to my ears, without this setting, or some EQ, I don't really love these at all (don't hate them, just pretty boring).

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #1,127 of 1,427
Well, I got them yesterday (Monday) in the mail, and as I posted above, I have been working out of town, so not a lot of time to listen, but I have a bit of time to listen. My first impressions are that they are fantastic, and exactly what I was looking for (to have similar sound sig of my beloved Hifiman HE400S), so I can have a mobile version of those.

While I really like the build of these, when they tooled the 2 halves, they were not the same size. You can really feel it when running your finger over the seam. This hasn't effected fit, or comfort at all, so not REALLY an issue. The amount of tips that come with these is pretty nice, and they are not half as bad as others have said (IMO). I also really love the little carry case that came with them. These are just plain heavy (for being so small), but again, this has not effected how they fit, or stay in my ears. Another non issue to me. The MMCX connectors are really good, and I get a nice audible "snap" when inserting any of the cables I have.

I really don't like the cable they sent with these! The weave is very loose below the "Y" split, though above it, it is pretty decent. I also find that the sound from this cable is not very good, though that could just be because it is 3.5mm SE, and my DAP doesn't really have good enough power to drive these well out of 3.5 SE. I think these were made especially for my ears (mostly), because I took them out of the box and right into my ears (with default medium tips and all), and they fit perfect, sealed perfect, and very comfortable for most of the rest of the night's listen. The composition of the tips did irritate my ears after a few hours, unlike the Final Audio type E tips that don't.

After inserting them a few times, I realized the sound changed a bit, and found out why. As mentioned before there isn't really a good way to hold the tips in place on the stem, so they slip all the way down from the pressure of putting them into your ears. I took an old pair of tips, and cut the bore out and used it as a spacer to keep the tips closer to the end of the stem (worked perfectly). Now I can focus on the sound. I won't give full impressions on sound (from my perspective) just yet. I would like to listen to them for a while before I jump to any conclusions, good OR bad.

I will say this, I can tell immediately that the presence region (3.5k -+) is boosted a bit too much for my tastes, and colors the entire sound to be inaccurate a bit. But, nowadays this is pretty common (especially with the Chinese headphones), so not too big of a deal. I have a pretty good solution for this, that I will get to in a bit.

People were right about the bass on these. The quantity is actually less than on my HE400S, and almost all people that reviewed them said THEY were light on bass, and wanted more. The fix I found (for my ears) is the same as with the 3.5k issue.

I use an app (for my android based iBasso DX160) called USB Audio Player Pro. In this app there is a pay-for add-on called Tonebooster Morphit Mobile. When I first came across this it seemed like a gimmick. You can set your input headphones (what you have), and your output headphones (what you want them to sound like), and there are a ton of big named headphones on the list. meh so what, not really interested in that. BUT...….

The actual main purpose of the module (unbeknownst to me for a long time) is that you pick your headphones, or some that your current headphones sound like, and choose your output as either "Generic HiFi", or "Generic Commute", and the algorithm corrects the flaws known to exist in that specific headphone. So, in my case, I wanted to correct my HE400S (more bass, and less 3.5k). There is no input as HE400S, but there is Sennheiser HD600, which are very similar in sound signature. I set the input to HD600, and the output as Generic Hifi, and OMG they sound absolutely wonderful. The only difference between "Generic HiFi" and "Generic Commute" is the amount of bass it adds. I found that the Generic Commute often adds TOO much bass for my ears, so I stick with Generic HiFi.

The best part of all of this is that you get a good bass (quantity) boost, and a small 3.5k reduction, and you lose absolutely no gain like you would using EQ. Since the P1 sound VERY much like the HE400S (except much more revealing in details), the same settings work fantastically on these. So when I give my impressions on these in about a week or so, it will be from having this setting on all the time, because to my ears, without this setting, or some EQ, I don't really love these at all (don't hate them, just pretty boring).
I totally felt the same at first listen. What made them sound boring was the lack of sub bass. But heaps of power and EQ easily fixed that and now low end is perfect. It has great extension, rumble and impact while being extremely fast, clean and tight. The 3.5k mark I have became used to. It made me hear where other iems are recessed. I also agree the stock cable sounds not the greatest. I think best thing for you to do is, try eartips that fit tightly and secure on the P1. A new better cable and make sure fit is the best you can get. Then mess around with EQ or the app you mentioned. Once all is set. It may become one of your most favourite iems haha. Good luck :)

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #1,128 of 1,427
I totally felt the same at first listen. What made them sound boring was the lack of sub bass. But heaps of power and EQ easily fixed that and now low end is perfect. It has great extension, rumble and impact while being extremely fast, clean and tight. The 3.5k mark I have became used to. It made me hear where other iems are recessed. I also agree the stock cable sounds not the greatest. I think best thing for you to do is, try eartips that fit tightly and secure on the P1. A new better cable and make sure fit is the best you can get. Then mess around with EQ or the app you mentioned. Once all is set. It may become one of your most favourite iems haha. Good luck :)
Oh you were right. So far with that app, these sound immensely better than the T800. Good call on that one. I just cant see how they can be so detailed on everything, but yet smooth as silk. Hehe and yes it was the bass and the 3.5k region being boosted that made them not so good at first.

I've got some good tips and a decent cable (until I get better), and I dont think I would change much, except I would love to be able to get Viper4android running, so I can do some sound magic in Amazon Music HD too.

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #1,129 of 1,427
Oh you were right. So far with that app, these sound immensely better than the T800. Good call on that one. I just cant see how they can be so detailed on everything, but yet smooth as silk. Hehe and yes it was the bass and the 3.5k region being boosted that made them not so good at first.

I've got some good tips and a decent cable (until I get better), and I dont think I would change much, except I would love to be able to get Viper4android running, so I can do some sound magic in Amazon Music HD too.
Viper would be great :wink:. I wouldn't say the P1 are better than the T800, the T800 have a nice thumping low end while still clean when you craving bass. The soundstage of the T800 makes some certain songs really shine where the P1 may sound amazing, but needs a touch more soundstage. They both are great amazing iems and compliment eachother. Also the T800 has much, much, much better isolation and a slightly warmer, smoother listen overall which is great for long hours. But damn the P1 are extremely addictive but it's all the same love just like I felt for the T800. They both are precious iems. The best in the world? No. There never will be a best in the world, you could spend $3K up and still not the best. But special? You bet ya they are, extreme price to performance. The T800 are an amazing all rounder and keep up with other iems that cost much much more. The P1 are high clarity, acurate, details monsters. Not even Andromedas have clarity like the P1.:D

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #1,130 of 1,427
Viper would be great :wink:. I wouldn't say the P1 are better than the T800, the T800 have a nice thumping low end while still clean when you craving bass. The soundstage of the T800 makes some certain songs really shine where the P1 may sound amazing, but needs a touch more soundstage. They both are great amazing iems and compliment eachother. Also the T800 has much, much, much better isolation and a slightly warmer, smoother listen overall which is great for long hours. But damn the P1 are extremely addictive but it's all the same love just like I felt for the T800. They both are precious iems. The best in the world? No. There never will be a best in the world, you could spend $3K up and still not the best. But special? You bet ya they are, extreme price to performance. The T800 are an amazing all rounder and keep up with other iems that cost much much more. The P1 are high clarity, acurate, details monsters. Not even Andromedas have clarity like the P1.:D
Oh no, you are right, I said it wrong. The T800 and P1 compliment each other perfectly (to me). I DO prefer the sound signature (most of the time) of the P1, but the T800 definitely has a special place in my camp of headphones, and IEMs.

T800 does have much better isolation and soundstage, but the P1, wow I can listen to heavy metal with earphones again. Most times I am looking for a warm headphone for metal, because of the congestion, just to tone down it down a bit, but the imaging and separation of the P1 is second to none (I don't care the price), and I can pick out every instrument in the song no matter how distorted (except for poor quality recordings to begin with). I even find myself listening to songs I don't even like, just because they sound so yummy with the P1s. I have even found that most 320kbs mp3s are even decent to listen to. The T800 craves good quality recordings and nothing less, but the P1 can make even lower quality stuff listenable (though good recordings are the best of course).

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #1,131 of 1,427
Oh no, you are right, I said it wrong. The T800 and P1 compliment each other perfectly (to me). I DO prefer the sound signature (most of the time) of the P1, but the T800 definitely has a special place in my camp of headphones, and IEMs.

T800 does have much better isolation and soundstage, but the P1, wow I can listen to heavy metal with earphones again. Most times I am looking for a warm headphone for metal, because of the congestion, just to tone down it down a bit, but the imaging and separation of the P1 is second to none (I don't care the price), and I can pick out every instrument in the song no matter how distorted (except for poor quality recordings to begin with). I even find myself listening to songs I don't even like, just because they sound so yummy with the P1s. I have even found that most 320kbs mp3s are even decent to listen to. The T800 craves good quality recordings and nothing less, but the P1 can make even lower quality stuff listenable (though good recordings are the best of course).
I can agree %9999 with you. The P1 are so detailed, crystal clear, revealing yet so smooth. I don't know how they done it.

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,132 of 1,427
I can agree %9999 with you. The P1 are so detailed, crystal clear, revealing yet so smooth. I don't know how they done it.
One of my tests for how revealing a headphone/IEM is, is Houses of The Holy by Led Zeppelin. John Bonham's bass drum pedal squeaks throughout the song, but it is hard to hear without a pretty revealing headphone. I can hear it with the P1 pretty handily.

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,133 of 1,427
One of my tests for how revealing a headphone/IEM is, is Houses of The Holy by Led Zeppelin. John Bonham's bass drum pedal squeaks throughout the song, but it is hard to hear without a pretty revealing headphone. I can hear it with the P1 pretty handily.
Detail is presented effortlessly on the P1. But now I am in search for a over ear planar. So many choices haha, it would be awesome if there was a headphone similar to the P1 with a much bigger soundstage and more low end and overall even smoother sound while being highly detailed and crystal clear. Hmmmmm

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,134 of 1,427
Detail is presented effortlessly on the P1. But now I am in search for a over ear planar. So many choices haha, it would be awesome if there was a headphone similar to the P1 with a much bigger soundstage and more low end and overall even smoother sound while being highly detailed and crystal clear. Hmmmmm
As luck would have it, I was doing the same thing in reverse (that is what brought me to the P1). I have the Hifiman HE400S, and was looking for a portable version of those. The sound signature is very similar, though the bass is just a bit more quantity, but better quality, and the treble, while sparkley, is not quite as crystal clear as the P1 (I'm not sure there are many out there that can match the P1). My point is, it will need just a bit of EQ like the P1, but not as much in the bass, and a bit more in the high end. They are just that similar (to my ears). Matter of fact they have very similar specs too. I wonder if when they created these IEMs that they didn't just follow the playback of the HE, because when they were new they were immensely popular because it was like the cheapest planar you could get at the time, and was able to be driven by a phone, rather than a high dollar amp. I would not give up my HE's for $1k heaphones, they are that good to me...

The good news about this is that if you don't get them from Hifiman site, and get them from Amazon, you can get them for $199 instead of $299. And the Amazon site is actually an authorized Hifiman reseller.

Here is a great review from someone that I like because he has a similar taste in sound signature that I do (as it seems you do too.. hehe):
HERE
Let me know what you think?! Also, keep in mind this review was 4 years ago, and Hifiman has revised the HE 2 times since then, but only in the aesthetics and connection type and build quality, etc.... The sound has remained the same.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #1,135 of 1,427
I agree 100%. It has taken me a couple of months to get the right eq setting with the PDV2. The preset in the app is a good starting point, but it needs refinement and improvement. However, once you get the right eq setting, the P1s really excel. This also applies to the 9038s. If you use an app like Neutron and get the right peq settings, you have mobile bliss!!!!.
Hi, just read your post from last month. You say that once you get the right eq setting, the P1’s really excel. I’m waiting on my P1s to arrive. Would you be willing to share the eq settings that you have ended up with?

Apr 3, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #1,136 of 1,427
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,137 of 1,427
Hi, just read your post from last month. You say that once you get the right eq setting, the P1’s really excel. I’m waiting on my P1s to arrive. Would you be willing to share the eq settings that you have ended up with?
I DO have an eq setup for my P1s, but generally I use the headphone sound matching Tonebooster Morphit app built into UAPP. I like it best because I don't need to mess with getting the settings just right, and it boosts without losing any gain.

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,138 of 1,427

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,139 of 1,427
+1 on the Toneboost Morphit app! A little-known but very useful add-on for UAPP. The configurable crossfeed also adds significantly to the sense of realism. Well worth the modest cost.

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,140 of 1,427
+1 on the Toneboost Morphit app! A little-known but very useful add-on for UAPP. The configurable crossfeed also adds significantly to the sense of realism. Well worth the modest cost.
Awesome! I thought I was the only one using this app. It works a treat with my other headphones too, if you either have the phones on the list or can research which one on the list the ones you are using sound most like. I even have to say it makes my HD700 sound amazing, and I had all but given up in getting rid of the things I don't like about them. They are known to be not very "EQ'able", so that alone was worth the $1.99. heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back