Time Magazine's favorite headphone for travel is . . .
Nov 4, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #31 of 42
ah yes, a bunch of elitist headphone geeks bash a headphone brand they have never heard, based solely on its "street cred" (or lack thereof) and the fact that it's popular with the kiddies nowadays.

Seriously, anyone who hasnt really used them in actual grueling travel conditions oughta lay off the bashing for awhile.

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah yes, a bunch of elitist headphone geeks bash a headphone brand they have never heard, based solely on its "street cred" (or lack thereof) and the fact that it's popular with the kiddies nowadays.

Seriously, anyone who hasnt really used them in actual grueling travel conditions oughta lay off the bashing for awhile.

I'd be willing to bet that most US head-fiers have heard the Beats, because they offer demo booths at most major electronics stores. And I didn't find the Beats to be very comfortable, so I'm not really sure why it would be better in travel conditions. There are far better options as far as closed headphones. And I'm a kiddie, at 17, and it's not too popular with me.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be willing to bet that most US head-fiers have heard the Beats, because they offer demo booths at most major electronics stores. And I didn't find the Beats to be very comfortable, so I'm not really sure why it would be better in travel conditions. There are far better options as far as closed headphones. And I'm a kiddie, at 17, and it's not too popular with me.

Plus 1.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I travel on business, the best part of my look is the headstrap that says beats by Dr. Dre. I also carry a briefcase that says bag by snoop dogg.

LOL, my friend is a travelling salesman for a very expensive software suite and he wears the Beats!

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeliveryMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imagine if the author stumbled upon this thread...AWKWAARRRRRRRRD lol

He would probably just sigh and say to himself, "Those damn elitist headphone geeks. What do they know anyway."
icon10.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you're right, but it's like we play witch hunt here sometimes and next thing you know it's 5 pages of how much everyone hates dre beats and skullcandy (rightfully so).

I guess it's good entertainment, no doubt about it. I should probably just stay away from these threads instead of piling on the spam ...

I've tried both Bose and Skullcandy...um, yeah, there is hate for a reason.
i.e. crap particularly for the price.

Skullcandy full-size cans being the horrid of horrid...I've tried everything from cheap $5 earphones (so tinny to the point it actually hurts your ears) to HD800's....

Anyway, I have not tried the Beats but however having read quite a lot about them, from people who've tried them away from the Best Buy stands, which are known to be heavily EQ'ed in the bass, they say it's not that bad sounding however it isn't worth the price but comparing apples to apples (i.e. ANC headphones to ANC headphones), it is competitive.

Remember, the Beats belong in an already overpriced category, that being ANC headphones. For traveling, IEM's might not be ideal, particularly on air journeys.

Loving the unjustified hate on the beats though from the ill-informed.
Taking some sense (i.e. objectively) is a rare thing on the Internet these days.....

It's cool to hate it cuz

a) it's Monster
B) it's associated with Dre
C) Dre is associated with rap thus the association with rap
D) All the above.

Monster's headphone division has far more substance than their cables and AFAIK, even Jude has met with the lead designer of Monster's audio products and he (the designer) is an audiophile. Also Dr. Dre AFAIK rejected bass heavy prototypes of the Beats in favour of a more balanced sounding headphone i.e. Dr. Dre knows what sound quality is.
However this doesn't suit the hip-hop liking demographic that Dr. Dre attracts thus the heavy bass EQing on Best Buy stands. i.e. Dr. Dre knows what sound quality is unlike the majority of his fans.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, my friend is a travelling salesman for a very expensive software suite and he wears the Beats!

I didn't think there was a market for encyclopedias anymore.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Seriously, if anyone is really in actual grueling travel conditions, they oughta worry about things other than headphones.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, if anyone is really in actual grueling travel conditions, they oughta worry about things other than headphones.

Actually, I think all the mushers in the Iditarod swear by them.
icon10.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

I have listened to the Beats.

The Beats suck so much that I considered buying a pair to clean my floors. But my Hoover cost like $200 less and I don't mind listening to its motor. It sounds a lot more natural and balanced than the Beats, as well.

As for the article, can anyone say "product placement?"

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beats suck so much that I considered buying a pair to clean my floors. But my Hoover cost like $200 less and I don't mind listening to its motor. It sounds a lot more natural and balanced than the Beats, as well.

I always value Uncle Erik's opinions. He is rarely sarcastic. This is easily the funniest thing he's ever written here and one of the funniest things I've ever read. All hail Uncle Erik. And his elitist opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back