Time for something new, Senn or UE 900s
Apr 6, 2013 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ucrime

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, 

The advice here is always great, so I thought I would ask since I'm about to jump to something new.

Currently what I own are

TriFi10s with Fiio cord and Comply tips
Etys hf3 I think.
Audio Tech M50s (the straight cord)

I've problems will all of them, the TriFi10s just don't fit, and are do uncomfortable, almost painful at time, however they sound great
The Etys just don't match the sound of the Triple.fi 10s.
The M50s just cannot push out the volume, and my main usage is on bus, and with iPad or iPhone.  Now, on my MBP the M50s are amazing.

So, I can get something that Apple sells (I am limited to what they have).

I was thinking 
Sennheiser Momentum 
(or)
Logitech's UE 900

Yes, I know they are very different, and that is my problem.  At this price point I cannot have both, and I don't think many others will compare (at the Apple Store)

My problems:
I think the Momentum will sound better, be more comfortable, however, the bunk, summer is coming, carrying them around all day in a backpack, and many sound leaking, may be issues.

My problems with the UE 900 are I am so afraid they are not going to fit or be comfortable.  I notice they use Comply 500 size tips, and that is scaring me off.

I could even go with the Momentum and some 99$ in-ear (it is a possibility)  

So, please take a moment and comment, it would mean a lot, and I am a notorious bumper, so I will try to hold off on that, I promise.

Also, if there are other ideas that Apple sells, please share.

I sit next to people, and want to play music loud, so leaking sound is a problem.  Also, it gets hot in NYC, so I don't want to be a sweaty mess in the summer, and I also do use the talk mic with my iphone.  

Thanks everyone.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 6
thanks for posting...  I guess no one was interested in helping a fellow brother :)

I went shopping sunday morning.... and I went with the UE 900s

as a bonus the cord matches my french blue tumi iphone 5 case...

I was going to take pics, do the whole unboxing thing, but I am hurt (get over it) that no one other thenthe kind soul who did reply would reply.  NA Blur, they wouldn't meat my needs.

One thing i can say now about the UE 900.... the fit is great compared to the TriFi10, HOWEVER the comply tips that come with the 900s are garbage, I had some longer ones with the filters and it makes all the difference.

How to explain the sound so others would understand.  UE 900s do a horrible job on the song Mother by Danzig.  To compare, I used my AT M50s on a better source.  The guitar separation is painful on the UE 900s, barely noticeable on the M50s.  Worst headphones will not know what I am talking about,  Maybe the UE 900 are too clear or maybe a speaker in the buds is broken, that was why i checked with my monitors.

Seenheisers would be great, but not in NYC summer sweat.

Maybe there is a break in the community now, who knows, maybe people are getting ready fro NYC stereo show...

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
thanks for posting...  I guess no one was interested in helping a fellow brother :)

I went shopping sunday morning.... and I went with the UE 900s

as a bonus the cord matches my french blue tumi iphone 5 case...

I was going to take pics, do the whole unboxing thing, but I am hurt (get over it) that no one other thenthe kind soul who did reply would reply.  NA Blur, they wouldn't meat my needs.

One thing i can say now about the UE 900.... the fit is great compared to the TriFi10, HOWEVER the comply tips that come with the 900s are garbage, I had some longer ones with the filters and it makes all the difference.

How to explain the sound so others would understand.  UE 900s do a horrible job on the song Mother by Danzig.  To compare, I used my AT M50s on a better source.  The guitar separation is painful on the UE 900s, barely noticeable on the M50s.  Worst headphones will not know what I am talking about,  Maybe the UE 900 are too clear or maybe a speaker in the buds is broken, that was why i checked with my monitors.

Seenheisers would be great, but not in NYC summer sweat.

Maybe there is a break in the community now, who knows, maybe people are getting ready fro NYC stereo show...

I wish I saw your OP two days ago when you posted.  The UE 900 would not be the direction to go if you wanted the TF10's V shaped sound signature.  The UE 900 aren't going to get any better with time (they actually lose their v-notch in the midrange as time goes along due to the complication with the pinhole bore).  Basically, with time, the UE 900's sound gets closer (but never meets) that of the HF5. 

Headphone suggestions would be to look for something with a V-shape similar to that of the TF10.  If you're in the UK, I know Atomic Floyd does sell in Apple's online store (UK).  Their SuperDarts may be of interest.  If not, they ship world-wide free.  Looking through Apple's website, I can't find anything that may be of interest :frowning2:  If you can step outside the Apple Store, I do have some recommendations:
  1. Atomic Floyd SuperDarts
  2. Heir Audio 3.Ai
  3. Westone 3

The above may be too deep of a V, keep that in mind as the M50s aren't as v-shaped as the TF10 are (based on what I read in graphs, I wouldn't consider the M50s v-shaped).  That said, I'll also compile a list of things that are more balanced:
  1. Klipsch Image X10 (available at the Apple Store)
  2. Westone 4(R)
  3. Phonak PFE232

I've bolded the main ones to look at.  The Atomic Floyd and 3.Ai both have a deep v-shaped signature.  The Westones will provide a signature that is more balanced. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 6
this is my follow up.

I ended up with the UE 900s and the B&W P5s at the end.

Perfect, no.  best case for me though.

(Note: I was able to sell TF10 and Etys so I had a little extra funding).

UE 900 needs Comply-bought tips (the longer ones), I had some, they fit, still don't like the over ear but I can live with it.  And the enjoyed the TF10 sound more, but I had them modded and the fit with the TF10 was horrible for me (note: the guy who bought my TF10 says they fit him comfortable).  

As to the P5.  Again, not perfect but the Sennheisers I got first did not fit.  My ears were too big. Amazingly (I'm a researcher by trade) I was able to find the email to one of the top people at Sennheiser (one of the chairman), and he told me it just wasn't in the design for the headphones to have larger cups.  

Sennheiser is a top company and one day I will upgrade my home system, they will have my money.  I only wrote him because I thought customer service was lacking, but the management is, just based on my communication, top.

So, I returned the Sennheisers and got the B&W.  The reason.  First, I don't want to own Beats.  Second, it isn't made of plastic.  The cord is thin, and I worry about that.  20+ years ago I have owned B&W Abbey Road monitors, so I was hoping they didn't sell out, I don't think they did with the P5.

I'm happy with what I have now.  The sound is not perfect for me but that may be burn in.  There is a possibility that maybe perfect for me isn't perfect, and what I am getting is perfect :)

With my limits to the Apple Store in the US, how did I do?

(PS:  Apple Store return policy is top shelf, you can open item, use it for a couple weeks, and they will take the return with no questions, no hassle, basically, what do you want to do, money back or exchange, no problem, no guilt).

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
this is my follow up.

I ended up with the UE 900s and the B&W P5s at the end.

Perfect, no.  best case for me though.

(Note: I was able to sell TF10 and Etys so I had a little extra funding).

UE 900 needs Comply-bought tips (the longer ones), I had some, they fit, still don't like the over ear but I can live with it.  And the enjoyed the TF10 sound more, but I had them modded and the fit with the TF10 was horrible for me (note: the guy who bought my TF10 says they fit him comfortable).  

As to the P5.  Again, not perfect but the Sennheisers I got first did not fit.  My ears were too big. Amazingly (I'm a researcher by trade) I was able to find the email to one of the top people at Sennheiser (one of the chairman), and he told me it just wasn't in the design for the headphones to have larger cups.  

Sennheiser is a top company and one day I will upgrade my home system, they will have my money.  I only wrote him because I thought customer service was lacking, but the management is, just based on my communication, top.

So, I returned the Sennheisers and got the B&W.  The reason.  First, I don't want to own Beats.  Second, it isn't made of plastic.  The cord is thin, and I worry about that.  20+ years ago I have owned B&W Abbey Road monitors, so I was hoping they didn't sell out, I don't think they did with the P5.

I'm happy with what I have now.  The sound is not perfect for me but that may be burn in.  There is a possibility that maybe perfect for me isn't perfect, and what I am getting is perfect :)

With my limits to the Apple Store in the US, how did I do?

(PS:  Apple Store return policy is top shelf, you can open item, use it for a couple weeks, and they will take the return with no questions, no hassle, basically, what do you want to do, money back or exchange, no problem, no guilt).

You grabbed the best items at the Apple Store that could suit you.  So you did fine :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back