Tidal Lossless Streaming
May 14, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #3,826 of 5,203
The difference is that Hifiman, Audeze and Focal are profitable (I presume, although we don't know because they are privately owned). Survival is about cash flow. Tidal is losing money. All of the streaming services are losing money, but the major players (Spotify, Apple, Google, Amazon) are well funded. Market share is crucial for Tidal because they need it to convince investors to inject cash, and to be attractive as an acquisition target.

I feel like (and I could be totally wrong) that Tidal is the kind of company that could be profitable if they weren't trying to fight the big fight for marketshare against spotify, apple and google. Like, receive monthly fees from users, pay royalties + server costs + a few devs and a little marketing. That should be feasible, right? I can imagine now they're dumping money at certain rappers to get exclusives and various other stunts to get attention. Like just because Uber is spending billions more than they make to monopolize the taxi industry doesn't mean that all taxis in the world have to lose money.

Like Tidal isn't in the same boat as all these "free" apps and social media platforms that need enormous mass appeal in order to exist at all. They have some number, still in the 6-figures (?) of people paying $10-$20 a month

That being said, maybe they can't sustain the contracts with record labels without enough userbase, I don't know.

May 14, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #3,827 of 5,203
It'd be unfortunate if Tidal folded -- they seem to be the most open when compared against Spotify and Apple Music, with respect to allowing third-party apps to access the service.

May 14, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #3,828 of 5,203
Sure. Especially after the stuff I read about them cooking subscriber numbers and the story the other day of them massively cooking streaming numbers for high profile artists.... That being said, how much market share do they need to not die? I can't imagine Hifiman and Audeze and Focal collectively have 1% of the headphone market, but they all seem to be doing alright.

I really hope Tidal doesn't get liquidated. I just got it and am pretty happy with it.

I'm with you. I'm really happy with the sound quality on Tidal and I feel like anything less now is a huge bummer.

May 14, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #3,829 of 5,203
I'm with you. I'm really happy with the sound quality on Tidal and I feel like anything less now is a huge bummer.

I just don't hear it -- at least not substantially enough to keep my Tidal subscription since it has lapsed. :unamused:

May 14, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #3,830 of 5,203
I just don't hear it -- at least not substantially enough to keep my Tidal subscription since it has lapsed. :unamused:

I was also skeptical about the sound before I upgraded some hardware. I used to use (and still do) Google Play music. Google music sounded better than Apple Music and Spotify to my ears. Then I upgraded my portable dap to a Hiby R6 and it is really awesome what this dap can do with Tidal (CD quality music in general). For some I can see the level of detail being not worth it, but I'm hearing some pretty cool detail that I had never heard in some of my favorite tracks during critical listening that I thought was pretty cool. Like for ex when trombones have mutes in on parts of a song. There is a distinct 'feeling' you get when you hear a section play in mutes live. With cd quality sound like available in Tidal and good hardware I feel like this is the closest I can get to the real thing.

May 14, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #3,831 of 5,203
I was also skeptical about the sound before I upgraded some hardware. I used to use (and still do) Google Play music. Google music sounded better than Apple Music and Spotify to my ears. Then I upgraded my portable dap to a Hiby R6 and it is really awesome what this dap can do with Tidal (CD quality music in general). For some I can see the level of detail being not worth it, but I'm hearing some pretty cool detail that I had never heard in some of my favorite tracks during critical listening that I thought was pretty cool. Like for ex when trombones have mutes in on parts of a song. There is a distinct 'feeling' you get when you hear a section play in mutes live. With cd quality sound like available in Tidal and good hardware I feel like this is the closest I can get to the real thing.

I swear I've heard those differences before, too, but I'm going off of audio memory now, and I didn't find the differences so compelling as to make up for the lack of functionality (i.e., music discovery). :neutral_face:

May 15, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #3,832 of 5,203
1. Try an MQA capable DAC... see if you can hear even more detail on the MASTERs. Remember to set up Tidal for full passthrough.
2. Try Tidal through Roon. You can use Roon EQ to adjust for your listening room's acoustic profile. Also love the Roon Radio suggestions, and full integration with my music files on hard disk.

I still keep all my playlists on Tidal rather than Roon, as I only have an annual subscription to Roon.
I am using a Gungnir Multibit as my dac. I must not click that box that says pass-through MQA right?

May 15, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #3,834 of 5,203
I am using a Gungnir Multibit as my dac. I must not click that box that says pass-through MQA right?
There is no "must". You can click the box or not.

With pass-through, the original stream (44.1K or 48K depending on the recording) will be sent to the DAC.
Without pass-through, the Tidal app (PC or Mac) will decode the first MQA unfolding in software and send a 88.2K or 96K stream to the DAC.
You can listen to both on your Gungnir and decide whether you hear a difference.

If you had an MQA capable DAC (the Gungnir is not), it can decode the original MQA stream into a 176K or 192K. The DAC would need the original 44.1 or 48 MQA stream to do this, and you would use pass-through in that case.

May 22, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #3,836 of 5,203
All this talk about Tidal going under has my head spinning.

May 24, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #3,837 of 5,203
Tidal just pushed version 2.1.19.443 (W: 3.0.0--24) (NP: NA) to my Windows PC.

The UI has changed considerably... no release notes or user guide?

Settings is now hidden under my image at the top left.

Suggestions look more personalized.

MASTERS albums are now near the bottom of the Home page.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #3,838 of 5,203
Given that a significant chunk of their userbase is audiophiles (at least I assume so, I imagine most people who don't care about lossless are on Spotify) you'd think they'd make more of an effort to make their Masters/MQA section stand out more, and be a better experience to search and browse.

May 25, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #3,839 of 5,203
Just downloaded Version 2.1.18.437 for PC Windows Desktop. Old stuttering and drop out issues have returned :frowning2:

Anyone else?

Thanks

Tidal pushed out version 2.1.19.443 (W: 3.0.1--3) (NP: 2.4.8.94) today.

No stuttering or drop out issued now. Thanks Tidal.

May 25, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #3,840 of 5,203
I also have been going back and forth between tidal HIFI and Spotify premium 320kps which you can buy for a year at $99($8.2x/month) vs $20 tidal=$240 a year.( I don’t think tidal has a year discount)

I am using my iPhone 7 through fiio Q5 dac/amp and Campfire Audio Casecade headphones and Campefire Lyra II and Ultimate Ears UE900S and when listening to certain classic rock and a EDM artist I can hear the extra detail from Tidal however it is very hard listening to pop/hip hop.
My tidal subscription is out in 25 days and I am really on the fence if it is worth double the price for CD quality.
Spotify definitely has a huge interface/music suggestion advantage plus the amazing personalized mixes it makes for you.

$20 a month doesn’t hurt my wallet but I am not rich and pretty frugle so I am all about VALUE!

Anyone have any opinions from their experience on the quality 320kps vs 44.1 cd? Also i also do not like how hard they push every hip hop crap that comes out even though there are a few rap artists I like and Spotify has them too.

Also since I don’t OWN a cd collection or music most albums from HD tracks are $15-$22 so I am keeping that in mind.

PLEASE SPOTIFY (or even Apple Music) come out with HIFI for $17-$20 a month and wipe the floor with tidal! I do not know why they don’t just make it an option even tho 75% of users probably do not care

Users who are viewing this thread

Back