Tidal Lossless Streaming
May 1, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #3,796 of 5,203
"Unfortunately the language is chosen by the IP address used to register, for Switzerland, our main language is French. Unfortunately there is not a way to override this presently."
Strange. I have Tidal Hi-Fi in Switzerland and it is set to German on the iPhone and the iPad. So no French as a main language. Must be something about your multi-user account.
Using Tidal in the browser, log-in and go to your profile - settings, and there you can choose the language.

May 1, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3,797 of 5,203
Strange. I have Tidal Hi-Fi in Switzerland and it is set to German on the iPhone and the iPad. So no French as a main language. Must be something about your multi-user account.
Using Tidal in the browser, log-in and go to your profile - settings, and there you can choose the language.
I already did that pal, and in fact I get the Tidal PAGE in English. However, I keep getting emails from Tidal in French, and I keep getting "French Artists" on top of the suggested tracks, albums and playlists. And I live in Lugano, where the official language is Italian, btw.

May 1, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #3,798 of 5,203
I already did that pal, and in fact I get the Tidal PAGE in English. However, I keep getting emails from Tidal in French, and I keep getting "French Artists" on top of the suggested tracks, albums and playlists. And I live in Lugano, where the official language is Italian, btw.
That's additional mystery, why French and not Italian at least. I get suggested Nicky Minaj and Kanye West on the top (although I don't ever listen any of them) and than further on some Swiss new arrivals. No French in sight.
And on the top off all, I am getting all e-mails in English :)
A copy of Tidal's first e-mail: "Welcome to TIDAL. Your subscription is now active and you can log in with your username and password to start experiencing all that TIDAL has to offer. CHECK OUT THE LATEST EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS".

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #3,799 of 5,203
That's additional mystery, why French and not Italian at least. I get suggested Nicky Minaj and Kanye West on the top (although I don't ever listen any of them) and than further on some Swiss new arrivals. No French in sight.
And on the top off all, I am getting all e-mails in English :)
A copy of Tidal's first e-mail: "Welcome to TIDAL. Your subscription is now active and you can log in with your username and password to start experiencing all that TIDAL has to offer. CHECK OUT THE LATEST EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS".
This is what I got instead: "Bonjour, Bienvenue sur TIDAL. Votre abonnement est maintenant activé et vous pouvez vous connecter avec vos identifiants et votre mot de passe pour découvrir tout ce que TIDAL à à vous proposer."
Weird.

May 1, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #3,800 of 5,203
I started a trial for Tidal yesterday, and I quite like the UI. It's pleasant and very quick. The stream quality is great.

There's a lot to like about Tidal, but the library is very lacking compared to Apple Music. I'm sure this is a common complaint. I have not read through much of this thread yet. I feel like about half my library would be missing if I switched to Tidal without maintaining my Apple Music sub. This wouldn't be as much of an issue if Tidal allowed users to upload music to the cloud for their personal library like Apple and Google do.

Tidal will remain on my radar, but I'm not sure that I am willing to pay $20 a month for a service that doesn't have some of my favorite artists and has no way to upload music I already own from those artists.

May 1, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #3,801 of 5,203
Tidal will remain on my radar, but I'm not sure that I am willing to pay $20 a month for a service that doesn't have some of my favorite artists and has no way to upload music I already own from those artists.
Yes, it's a serious limitation. Hopefully they will do something about it.

May 1, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3,802 of 5,203
I recently subscribed to a Tidal multi-user HIFI account. I am a US expatriate living in Switzerland, and upon signing up I started receiving communications in French, and on the Home page I get "French Artists" in my selection headlines. As there is no user preference option to change that, I contacted support to ask to modify my language. After an initial reply by some robot that made no sense whatsoever, upon my insistence I finally got this reply:

"Unfortunately the language is chosen by the IP address used to register, for Switzerland, our main language is French. Unfortunately there is not a way to override this presently."

I believe it's a gross mistake on Tidal's part not to allow users to choose their own language preferences, and instead determine them by default assuming what language they speak form their IP addresses. What about expatriates? If I'm an English speaking person living in a non-English speaking country, and I subscribe to Tidal from that country, why should I get stuck forever with a language I don't even understand? And this obviously applies to any other supported language.

I have the same thing in Mexico. Default language is Spanish (Mexican Spanish) and recommended selections for new music is mostly Mexican artists. While I don't mind the Mexican artist recommendations I would prefer the language in English. One advantage is my subscription is slightly cheaper. You can get around this by using a VPN to register but you'll be required to pay in the currency where you set the VPN for.

May 1, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #3,803 of 5,203
I have the same thing in Mexico. Default language is Spanish (Mexican Spanish) and recommended selections for new music is mostly Mexican artists. While I don't mind the Mexican artist recommendations I would prefer the language in English. One advantage is my subscription is slightly cheaper. You can get around this by using a VPN to register but you'll be required to pay in the currency where you set the VPN for.
I was in fact thinking of cancelling my current subscription and re-subscribe from a US location, which would make it even cheaper for me :ksc75smile:

May 1, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #3,804 of 5,203
I do wonder if this may be some new thing... I am also a US expat and like DjBobby my suggestions are all generic American ones, but... my bro-in-law has it in London... he gets all UK suggestions... and I know some people in Ireland that get UK suggestions... so maybe they changed how they decide recently.

May 1, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3,805 of 5,203
I do wonder if this may be some new thing... I am also a US expat and like DjBobby my suggestions are all generic American ones, but... my bro-in-law has it in London... he gets all UK suggestions... and I know some people in Ireland that get UK suggestions... so maybe they changed how they decide recently.

Mine been like this in Mexico for awhile. However I'm wondering if it depends on your location? There may be licensing issues where you can only access the music of the country you are in based on your IP address...

EDIT: I just tested this by turning on my VPN on my phone and changing it to Canada (I'm currently in Mexico) and my suggestions for new music changed to what I'm presuming is what I would see in Canada. So. it doesn't seem to matter where you registered only where you are located.

May 1, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3,806 of 5,203
I recently subscribed to a Tidal multi-user HIFI account. I am a US expatriate living in Switzerland, and upon signing up I started receiving communications in French, and on the Home page I get "French Artists" in my selection headlines. As there is no user preference option to change that, I contacted support to ask to modify my language. After an initial reply by some robot that made no sense whatsoever, upon my insistence I finally got this reply:

I believe it's a gross mistake on Tidal's part not to allow users to choose their own language preferences, and instead determine them by default assuming what language they speak form their IP addresses. What about expatriates? If I'm an English speaking person living in a non-English speaking country, and I subscribe to Tidal from that country, why should I get stuck forever with a language I don't even understand? And this obviously applies to any other supported language.

I've created an account in Norway, but still I'm able to set the language to English. It's just that the top content on home shows mainly Norwegian artists, but that makes sense I guess. I know you can change your country in Spotify, but I also know you can't change it for PSN. I guess it's not a common thing to offer for all companies. I'm sure they have their reasons (licensing etc). If it really bothers you having the content of the country you're in, you can always create a new account while using a VPN.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #3,807 of 5,203
Over the years i have had Brazil, US and Canada accounts. The recommendations differ substantially. I currently have an account in Brazil, where I live. It costs about half the price of a US account. I can change the interface to English if I wish, but the recommendations are largely Brazilian music, regardless of the language.

May 2, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #3,809 of 5,203
Just downloaded Version 2.1.18.437 for PC Windows Desktop. Old stuttering and drop out issues have returned :frowning2:

Anyone else?

Thanks

May 2, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,810 of 5,203
Just downloaded Version 2.1.18.437 for PC Windows Desktop. Old stuttering and drop out issues have returned :frowning2:

Anyone else?

Thanks

Thanks for the warning. Just in the last few weeks it gradually dawned on me that I was no longer getting a buffer at about the 6 second mark on every MQA song I played. Not sure what the cause for the change other than a software update or server change or maybe something new injected into the stream???

I could even play, without hiccups, right into my Meridian Explorer2 with full rendering/blue light and...no more buffering... smooth, the way it was meant to be. I'm afraid to let the auto upgrade happen now! I'm on 2.1.17.429 in Windows 8.1. When it inevitably does upgrade I'll report what happens to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back