Tidal Lossless Streaming
May 2, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #3,812 of 5,203
Addendum: I see that this is a major update that, instead of the usual in-program update, it requires a full 50+MB download and install. Maybe I'll hold off. Thanks again. I guess you can revert back?

I tried reverting to 2.1.6.245, and the intermittent cut outs and stuttering were reduced but not eliminated.

I tried changing my DNS server to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, and updated Tidal to 2.1.18.437 again.

Drop outs and stuttering are back :frowning2:

Reverted to 2.1.6.245. No fix :frowning2:

Now trying accessing Tidal through Roon... major dropouts. Very confused

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #3,813 of 5,203
I tried reverting to 2.1.6.245, and the intermittent cut outs and stuttering were reduced but not eliminated.

I tried changing my DNS server to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, and updated Tidal to 2.1.18.437 again.

Well this is very interesting.

I have 2 Tidal desktop app computer installs. Very simple, straightforward PC only setups, no other gear involved other than a Meridian Explorer2 DAC . One is a Win 10 Home 64 fanless mini PC running a Celeron N3450 with 8GB RAM; the other is a Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit with a Corei7 3820 and 16GB RAM. Both PCs have run the Tidal app generally smoothly, especially the Corei7. I got the mini PC so as to have something I could stream Tidal and other music sources on in dead silence. My internet is a laughable 5Mbps DSL connection although it's a surprisingly steady connection for music streaming even at high bit rates.

From the beginning both systems have suffered a 3 or 4 second buffering pause (using the Tidal desktop app) right at the beginning (at about the 4-6 second point) of each song when streaming an MQA title with either software only decoding in the Tidal desktop app, or when connected via USB to a Meridian Explorer2 DAC for full MQA rendering (software decoding is turned off in the app) .

This buffering problem seemed to lessen a bit if I let MQA songs play contiguously, ie, no skipping around from song to song before the song finished. To me it seemed that somewhere in Tidal or the network, this sort of easing off on the skipping from song to song allowed the system to buffer more completely.

At no time did I ever experience this regular beginning-of-song buffering pause when streaming at the regular HiFi setting. Clearly something, somewhere in the MQA stream was causing this.

I had mentioned before that a few weeks ago I started realizing that I wasn't getting the beginning-of-song buffering problem on my Win8.1 PC. I later realized that the software version of the Tidal app had gone from 2.1.16.408 to 2.1.17.429. It seemed consistent with the later software--no more buffering at the beginning in any MQA song no matter how loud or quiet it started.

After several weeks of not running my N3450 mini-PC I started it up and tried its Tidal app--it was still at 2.1.16.408... and it still did the beginning-of-song buffering. I thought What, let me upgrade to the very latest--2.1.18.437 (the big download) and see what happens. Well to my pleasant surprise the buffering stopped just like on my Corei7 that had 2.1.17.429. With that in mind I went ahead and upgraded my Corei7 from 2.1.17.429 to the latest 2.1.18.437 and it too, still renders MQA songs smoothly.

It seems Tidal has done something with the app starting at 2.1.17.429 and continuing with the latest .218 app iteration to fix, at least in my situation, the beginning-of-song buffering issue. Now, I haven't used 2.1.18.437 long-term and I don't know if dropouts or buffering problems will come up at further points in the songs. Time will tell.

This is all food for thought stuff that I know doesn't directly address the more complex interactions that folks that have more gear (i.e. Roon) involved in their Tidal setups might have. That said, I did read, I think over on AVS forums, at least anecdotally, within the fairly recent time frame, that people with other gear involved like Roon said that they had noticed streaming improvements and it may have something to do with what ever Tidal has done with their software. Obviously, YMMV!

Note: I get the same results using Cloudlflare DNS (1.1.1.1) or my ISP-assigned default DNS. I am currently using 1.1.1.1 set in my router.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3,814 of 5,203

Fixed... but not sure why.

iMac 27 (Bootcamp Win 7) > NAS and Hard wired Ethernet/Internet.

Tidal updated to 2.1.18.437
Roon updated to 1.5
DNS at 1.1.1.1

Masters and HiFi tracks playing with no problems in both Tidal and Roon :)

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #3,815 of 5,203
I'm thinking about keeping Tidal in addition to Apple Music since it won't really work as a full on replacement currently. Expensive, but it might be worth it.

Question about the PC app. Maybe I'm missing something. I see no suggested albums/songs on the PC app and web player. On the iOS album there is suggested stuff and it actually seems pretty decent at suggesting stuff I might like. Why is this not on the PC app? Or am I blind?

May 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,816 of 5,203
I'm thinking about keeping Tidal in addition to Apple Music since it won't really work as a full on replacement currently. Expensive, but it might be worth it.

Question about the PC app. Maybe I'm missing something. I see no suggested albums/songs on the PC app and web player. On the iOS album there is suggested stuff and it actually seems pretty decent at suggesting stuff I might like. Why is this not on the PC app? Or am I blind?

You’re not blind. Current version of the desktop app doesn’t have it.

Just out of curiousity, why would you want Apple Music as an addition to tidal?

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #3,817 of 5,203
You’re not blind. Current version of the desktop app doesn’t have it.

Just out of curiousity, why would you want Apple Music as an addition to tidal?
Apple Music has a much much much much much much larger and more diverse library. Tidal is missing at least half the music I listen to often. And the ability to upload music via iTunes Match. Tidal would be in addition to Apple Music. Not the other way around.

May 10, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #3,818 of 5,203
I have been using Spotify as my main source component for years now, i finally subbed to Tidal Hi-FI and holy !@!#! i can really hear a big difference! It's so noticeable i am now wondering if it is even worth keeping my Spotify i might just cancel the premium on it, the difference is just that noticeable. Everything is so much cleaner and i don't even have to turn my amp volume as loud as with Spotify. Any tips or tricks i should be aware of with Tidal now that i have it?

May 10, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #3,819 of 5,203
I have been using Spotify as my main source component for years now, i finally subbed to Tidal Hi-FI and holy !@!#! i can really hear a big difference! It's so noticeable i am now wondering if it is even worth keeping my Spotify i might just cancel the premium on it, the difference is just that noticeable. Everything is so much cleaner and i don't even have to turn my amp volume as loud as with Spotify. Any tips or tricks i should be aware of with Tidal now that i have it?

1. Try an MQA capable DAC... see if you can hear even more detail on the MASTERs. Remember to set up Tidal for full passthrough.
2. Try Tidal through Roon. You can use Roon EQ to adjust for your listening room's acoustic profile. Also love the Roon Radio suggestions, and full integration with my music files on hard disk.

I still keep all my playlists on Tidal rather than Roon, as I only have an annual subscription to Roon.

May 12, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #3,820 of 5,203
What the F is going on with Tidal on Windows after the last update? The lag is unbearable. Pause, play, changing songs keep freezing the app for up to 30 seconds at a time. Never had a problem before. It's literally unusable.

edit: weird, I deleted a few playlists and now it's much more responsive. I guess it gets bogged down if you have too much content saved?

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #3,821 of 5,203
A story about Tidal showed up on Reddit and all the comments were 'lol no one uses Tidal'. Someone suggested audiophiles prefer Tidal over the competitors and that person got downvoted to hell....

May 13, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #3,822 of 5,203
I like Tidal but I already have Spotify and so when my card changed and my Tidal subscription lapsed I sort of just let it go.... :grimacing:

The thing that with Tidal is I found it was great for listening to music after I found it, but that unlike Spotify, it didn't really point me in the direction of new music based on my listening, which is something Spotify does very well.

May 14, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #3,824 of 5,203
There is some truth to that, if you look at Tidal's market share of streaming music. It's in the low single digits, possibly as low as 1%.

Sure. Especially after the stuff I read about them cooking subscriber numbers and the story the other day of them massively cooking streaming numbers for high profile artists.... That being said, how much market share do they need to not die? I can't imagine Hifiman and Audeze and Focal collectively have 1% of the headphone market, but they all seem to be doing alright.

I really hope Tidal doesn't get liquidated. I just got it and am pretty happy with it.

May 14, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #3,825 of 5,203
That being said, how much market share do they need to not die? I can't imagine Hifiman and Audeze and Focal collectively have 1% of the headphone market, but they all seem to be doing alright.
The difference is that Hifiman, Audeze and Focal are profitable (I presume, although we don't know because they are privately owned). Survival is about cash flow. Tidal is losing money. All of the streaming services are losing money, but the major players (Spotify, Apple, Google, Amazon) are well funded. Market share is crucial for Tidal because they need it to convince investors to inject cash, and to be attractive as an acquisition target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back