Tidal Lossless Streaming
Nov 16, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #3,676 of 5,210
Tragically, a lack of actual ability to hear a difference between Google's 320 and Tidal's lossless has led to me scrapping Tidal once my free months wear off. Google just totally revamped their suggestion interface and it's the kind of thing I really need. Tidal sucks for discovery.

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #3,677 of 5,210
Tragically, a lack of actual ability to hear a difference between Google's 320 and Tidal's lossless has led to me scrapping Tidal once my free months wear off. Google just totally revamped their suggestion interface and it's the kind of thing I really need. Tidal sucks for discovery.
I am a fan of Tidal, don't get me wrong, and I love the peace of mind that I am streaming lossless files; but without Roon or Audirvana, it just doesn't do it for me compared to Google.

The "Music Library" that Google employs is nearly perfect and the ability to upload my own music to fill any gaps from streaming holdouts or even to include rare music not otherwise available on the service makes it excel above other options.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #3,678 of 5,210
I am a fan of Tidal, don't get me wrong, and I love the peace of mind that I am streaming lossless files; but without Roon or Audirvana, it just doesn't do it for me compared to Google.

The "Music Library" that Google employs is nearly perfect and the ability to upload my own music to fill any gaps from streaming holdouts or even to include rare music not otherwise available on the service makes it excel above other options.

Yep, that's my other thing. I have a ton of stuff from Bandcamp, and being able to stream that at 320 is a huge boon, plus getting YouTube Red with the whole thing.

I've tried Roon before and heard nothing, frankly. And I do love Tidal, I wish I could just keep the subscription to support them ideologically, but unless some big changes come by January (when my 6mo run out) I may be done.

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #3,679 of 5,210
Great news that you can now control Tidal through Sonos using the Tidal app rather than the woeful Sonos app. I'd be grateful if someone could explain how?? The only instruction I've seen is to click on the casting icon from the 'now playing' screen in Tidal but this only brings up a Google Chromecast I have available to stream to.

It's working! There was a different icon there this morning. I guess it just wasn't ready.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #3,680 of 5,210
Tidal control app is generally working good with Sonos. I thought it would be nice to watch some of the videos with the audio coming out of my Hi Fi via Sonos but unfortunately the videos don't play when casting to Sonos. Not sure if this is something that can be resolved?

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #3,681 of 5,210
Yep, that's my other thing. I have a ton of stuff from Bandcamp, and being able to stream that at 320 is a huge boon, plus getting YouTube Red with the whole thing.

I've tried Roon before and heard nothing, frankly. And I do love Tidal, I wish I could just keep the subscription to support them ideologically, but unless some big changes come by January (when my 6mo run out) I may be done.

Could you please detail a little more of what YouTube Red brings?

I will remain in Tidal as today I can difference the 320kbps and the Tidal loseless, so the only way to improve discovery is scrabbling to last.fm. have any of you tested this and then go to last.fm to get recommendations? If so, how good/bad are they?

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #3,682 of 5,210
Could you please detail a little more of what YouTube Red brings?

I will remain in Tidal as today I can difference the 320kbps and the Tidal loseless, so the only way to improve discovery is scrabbling to last.fm. have any of you tested this and then go to last.fm to get recommendations? If so, how good/bad are they?

I mean if you can say you can tell... okay...

But YT Red is basically YouTube with no ads, that gives more money to the creators, and also lets you easily listen to YT videos with the app in the background or the screen off. Plus, Google's "locker" feature means you can store a load of music on their servers and stream it whenever.

Last.FM is a great service, but the biggest issue I personally had is that you never know if the suggestions it gives are available on a given service. You might end up with all these albums suggested and then find that none of them are actually on for streaming. The annoyance of bouncing back and forth trying to find what you can stream is a pain. Even more so when you're trying to do it while you're out and about on mobile.

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3,683 of 5,210
Loving Tidal HiFi right now. Does it have an equalizer or is there one that will work with it?

Asking for a friend :wink:

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #3,684 of 5,210
A quick question about AK connect as I have not seen it in use. If using Tidal, does AK connect recognise the Tidal app and give you access to playlists and features etc and show those as a display, or is Connect just a simple Play... Stop.... skip type control ?

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #3,687 of 5,210
ECM has expanded its partnership with Universal Music Group, and their catalog is now on board Tidal.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #3,688 of 5,210

I don't think my ears can hear the difference either after multiple trials I think I'm just going to go back to apple music for convenience sake

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #3,689 of 5,210
Loving Tidal HiFi right now. Does it have an equalizer or is there one that will work with it?

Asking for a friend :wink:

A) Roon has excellent EQ capability, with parametric equalization and headroom management. Even presets for my Audeze headphones.

B) I use Roon (Windows 7) to play Tidal and for discovery. I love the way it integrates my large library of FLACs on my Networked Drive with the entire Tidal library. Search is fast and discovery is based both on my NAS collection and on the whole TIdal library. I can stream high resolution Tidal files. With the EQ disabled, I can stream MQA files to my MQA DAC (Meridian Explorer2). Normally I leave EQ off and stream through USB to my KEF LS50W powered speakers.

C) No stuttering or drop outs (my ISP provides 15Mbs)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #3,690 of 5,210
Hello,
I have been listening to tidal masters through my wife's Toshiba laptop with the meridian e2.
When I plug on the me2 into the laptop, it immediately recognizes the mqa device.

Now.
I just pick up a HP Spectre x360, downloaded the windows app, and when I plugged in the usb in the HP . It does not recognize the me2?
I put the laptops side by side. All the settings are the same.
Any suggestions??
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back