Tidal Lossless Streaming
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #4,651 of 5,203
This comes and goes. There was a bad period a couple of years ago when Masters almost didn't play. I guess they have bandwidth or other performance issues. It should clear up quickly.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #4,652 of 5,203
I'm on WIN 8.1 Pro but I'm noticing the same behavior on Master and HiFi. If I set it back to High or Normal I can skip ahead within a song and it'll pick it up normally. I'm sure it's the buffering of the higher load bit streams (at HiFi and Master) that's the cause but it should eventually buffer in enough of the stream to start again but it doesn't. I have pretty slow internet so that might also be a factor in my case. I honestly can't remember if this was happening before but I'll take your word for it that it wasn't.
Right, it definitely wasn't happening before. I've put in a support ticket with Tidal, and I hope you and anyone else with this problem will do the same to encourage Tidal to fix it quickly.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #4,653 of 5,203
This comes and goes. There was a bad period a couple of years ago when Masters almost didn't play. I guess they have bandwidth or other performance issues. It should clear up quickly.
I think in this case it's more likely that there is some inept programming of the Windows program because Tidal via Google Chrome still works just fine and the Windows program broke just after the most recent update.

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #4,654 of 5,203
I was considering Tidal until I watched this:

I would be grateful for members’ views on the controversy about MQA.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #4,655 of 5,203
Tidal drops support for iOS devices older than iOS 11.

I found that my attempts to log on from an older iPhone resulted in an "Username or password not recognized" error. I wasted time trying various things to get logged in, and then I got an email from Tidal saying only iOS 11 and above would now be supported.

I sent the following email to Tidal

I am VERY unhappy that Tidal no longer allows me to log in from an older release.

I use an old iPhone 4s (iOS 9.3.6) as a streaming device and until this notice it worked very well.

What is your reason for removing this service?

I feel this is a failure to meet your responsibilities to users with older devices.

Please consider allowing older releases to connect to the Tidal server.

Awaiting a response.

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #4,656 of 5,203

I found that my attempts to log on from an older iPhone resulted in an "Username or password not recognized" error. I wasted time trying various things to get logged in, and then I got an email from Tidal saying only iOS 11 and above would now be supported.

I am VERY unhappy that Tidal no longer allows me to log in from an older release.

I use an old iPhone 4s (iOS 9.3.6) as a streaming device and until this notice it worked very well.

I feel this is a failure to meet your responsibilities to users with older devices.

Awaiting a response.
Good luck getting any help with this from Tidal, I get the impression they just don't care.

Not that it would make you feel any better, but you are not alone in Tidal dropping support for older OS/devices:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-sr25-the-next-a-norma-player.926918/post-16311397

I've complained to them directly, and in this thread about some other crappy user experience with their .apk on my DAP:
Since getting A&K SR25 about 6 months ago, and using Tidal .apk for offline playback, I get this message periodically with downloaded albmums, when in Off-line mode:
IMG_2398.jpg

Any idea why the Tidal apk does this? It seems like about every month or so. Almost like the apk is trying to re-authenticate that I've got a subscription.. ? or something like that maybe???

The only remedy I've found is to switch back to online mode, and then click into each album one-by-one.

Odd thing is that playlists are not affected by this at all. Any playlist I've ever downloaded is always available in offline mode.... So I've started just putting several albums into a playlist, and downloading that for offline use. Very klunky workaround but its the best i've got for now...

I thought maybe someone from Tidal would respond positively to my emails to their support, but all they just fobbed me off, telling me to install the latest .apk. Of course that doesn't fix the problem.

I thought maybe someone from Tidal would at least occasionally have a look at forums like this where the most passionate of their customers gather, but I guess that doesn't happen either.

My conclusion is that Tidal really doesn't care about the very small % of their customers like us with 'edge-case' client device types. They just want to try to convince the masses using their phones with bluetooth that MQA is somehow better for them.

Whatevs, Qobuz, Deezer, and in the future Spotify HD are all options, maybe one of them will look after their customers a little better...

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #4,657 of 5,203
If you use Tidal with Roon, here's how to set Roon so MQA does not make money:

You will still be getting the MQA'ed file from Tidal (folded), but at least MQA will not make money off you.

Unfortunately, the fact that for releases marked as Master, Tidal now no longer offers the option to stream the actual lossless flac, means Tidal no longer offers lossless streaming. Even on the non "Masters" hifi quality setting, it simply streams the MQA file.

Cross posting this FYI here from over in the Roon forum.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #4,658 of 5,203

Awaiting a response.
Response on Sunday:

| Hi Peter! |
| It looks like you're using an older version of the TIDAL app on one or more of your devices.

Please update to the latest version of the app from your App Store on all your devices to continue listening to your favorite music. Please note that the TIDAL app only works on iOS 11 and higher.

We regularly update the TIDAL app to improve your streaming experience.
Please make sure you have the latest version on your devices to get the best listening experience. |
|
| Update Now |

|
|
Thank you,
TIDAL |

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #4,659 of 5,203
Typical boilerplate :frowning2:

Unfortunately this is worldwide and has nothing to do with Tidal. When I click on a youtube link on my work PC which uses Internet Explorer, it tells me the link isn't supported and tries to open Edge browser...

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #4,660 of 5,203
Typical boilerplate :frowning2:

Unfortunately this is worldwide and has nothing to do with Tidal. When I click on a youtube link on my work PC which uses Internet Explorer, it tells me the link isn't supported and tries to open Edge browser...
Well, I have to say, I think it does have to do with Tidal whether they want to support 'obsolete' or 'vintage' iOS devices such as that of @peterinvan

As much as it stinks to have an perfectly working older device dead-ended like this, it does get to a point for a developer like Tidal where they have to make decisions on how many different versions of so-called 'vintage' devices/OS they are willing to continue to support, especially when the device maker themselves stop supporting them...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Apr 29, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #4,661 of 5,203
Well, I have to say, I think it does have to do with Tidal whether they want to support 'obsolete' or 'vintage' iOS devices such as that of @peterinvan

As much as it stinks to have an perfectly working older device dead-ended like this, it does get to a point for a developer like Tidal where they have to make decisions on how many different versions of so-called 'vintage' devices/OS they are willing to continue to support, especially when the device maker themselves stop supporting them...

Supporting obsolete operating systems can also hold back the development of an app.

For example, let's say Tidal wants to implement a feature that an older version of Android doesn't support.

You are left with roughly 3 options as a developer at that point:

- Drop support for the older OS and loose costumers by making that choice;
- Don't implement the intended feature, slowly making your own app more on obsolete than it could have been;
- Write your own custom API that does support the intended feature and use the API for your app. Making your own API is obviously time consuming and incompatible with any apps other than your own.

None of the above choices are ideal, yet you are forced to choose as a developer. So you choose the easiest way out. Whatever you choose to do, it's impossible to please everyone. That applies to almost anything, including software development.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #4,662 of 5,203
Supporting obsolete operating systems can also hold back the development of an app.

For example, let's say Tidal wants to implement a feature that an older version of Android doesn't support.

You are left with roughly 3 options as a developer at that point:

- Drop support for the older OS and loose costumers by making that choice;
- Don't implement the intended feature, slowly making your own app more on obsolete than it could have been;
- Write your own custom API that does support the intended feature and use the API for your app. Making your own API is obviously time consuming and incompatible with any apps other than your own.

None of the above choices are ideal, yet you are forced to choose as a developer. So you choose the easiest way out. Whatever you choose to do, it's impossible to please everyone. That applies to almost anything, including software development.

iOS 11 and later only support 64 bit apps and 64 bit CPUs. Previous versions were 32 bit compatible. iPhones starting with the 5S have 64 bit CPUs. That's why support was dropped.

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #4,663 of 5,203

I was happy with my old device, and did not need any new updates or “features”. Why cripple an older version that was working just fine?

May 6, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #4,664 of 5,203
If i run Tidal app in windows, is it possible to use remotecontrol from app via phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back