Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Mar 6, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #136 of 384
Yeah, the charging circuit dying is definitely a bummer
frown.gif

Time to ask for a replacement as well...

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #137 of 384
My Minibox-E+ doesn't power on anymore after 14 months of intermittent use. Fang says I can have it replaced for 100 USD, as the warranty is expired for 2 months. Is it worth replacing it if I have to get a new one every year or so? I'm disappointed because I really liked the sound from this amp.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #139 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it power on while connected to AC (i.e. only a dead battery), or is it completely dead?

I just realized that I can get it to power on if I push in the power switch when it is in the up position. It will turn off if the power switch is touched at all after that. Amazing.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #140 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just realized that I can get it to power on if I push in the power switch when it is in the up position. It will turn off if the power switch is touched at all after that. Amazing.

My own unit is being sent to Fang for a warranty claim. Already I missed the sound. If you have to pay $100 to get a new unit I'd say it's a good deal. my only hope is that the delay in receiving new stocks mean that Three Stones have done some research to improve the battery charging durability. I am looking forward to receive my replacement

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #141 of 384
I got my Minibox from Head-direct yesterday. Have you guys noticed any channel imbalance with the Ptos on? My left side is a tad softer when it's on I think. Maybe my PFE's just don't like the added impedance. Do you guys typically leave the PToS on or off?

I also tried the AD797 and it also has some weird noises when you turn the volume wheel, but only if nothing is playing. If something is playing there are no noises at all. The AD797 really does have a bit darker/smoother sound than stock and AD8065, its a nice change. Using the AD8065 right now though.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #145 of 384
right now I'm testing the charge circuit. I charged mine when I first got it and the light turned off after 1-2 hours too so it could be a faulty circuit again. Add in the fact I have channel imbalance, more noticeable with PToS on but I think VERY SLIGHTLY even off, I wonder if I got a pure lemon unit or a returned one

Edit: My charge circuit seems fine, for now
tongue.gif
Still the channel imbalance irks me so I'm going to see if I can get a replacement
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #146 of 384
hmm.... quality control I keep wondering about getting one of these just to see for myself, but stories like this keep turning me off

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #147 of 384
actually, after more thorough testing with different songs, actually the faults I thought that were faults weren't actually faults at all. Its actually a pro, as it seems the separation is so uncanny and unlike a portable amp, some of my tracks that were recorded to have a more prominent side really shined through, making me think that there was a channel imbalance (had to AB with my O2, speakers, etc). A plus I must say, at first it really confused me, lol. So far I have about 20 hours burn in, and even at that little amount, this thing bests my Pico, Mini3, T4, E5. None of them even come close IMO, it really is unlike a portable amp, yet, IT IS! and I can't imagine it getting better, which its supposed to with more burn in
biggrin.gif
As for the AD797, it works, just soft weird noises when turning volume up or down with nothing playing. It sort of sounds like the opposite of the AD8065, as in its not quite as detailed or punchy, but it has this warm/dark smoothness to it that sounds really nice, a good change if you get tired of the stock or AD8065.

I'll report back on the charge circuit tho, as it doesn't seem to be as advertised at least. After completely draining the battery the charge light turned off after 4-5 hours, after I charged it the first time for 2 hours it lasted about 15-20 hours. So 4-5 hours I'm hoping equates to at least 30-40 hours. This is with bass and PToS off, PFE at volume setting 3. Still not quite the rated 60, but still good. Anyway, we'll see.

Still, please disregard the channel imbalance thing I reported. Sorry for falsely reporting that before fully doing more tests. This amp sounds incredible, that's all you need to know
wink.gif
Its THE only amp that I own where I could turn off ALL of the effects on the D2 (EQ, BBE) and have the D2 still sound awesome (even with all the stuff on, I thought my Clip sounded better, no more!). All my other amps, including my Pico (which I already sold), made the D2 sound like it was missing something. Likewise when paired with my clip. I just use the D2 because it sort of matches the size of the Minibox better, and now that it sounds good, the added storage and folder browsing is nice to have
tongue.gif
All I need now is a 16gb Fuze to strap to this thing
biggrin.gif

Sooo EFN, try any other opamps that I should give a whirl too?
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #148 of 384
its not so much the channel imbalance that i'm talking about, although of course that would be a worry; its just that a couple of poeple in the last few pages have had issues, EFN has sent his back for RMA, musikmaker also had to send his back after having it for a few days, a couple of pages back there was a bad review that EFN blamed on a faulty unit. so all in all it seems like its rather hit and miss. not a quality I look for in my purchases. This is just from skimming through and I havent looked hard. the external build quality and jacks look suspect and apparently the quality control for inside is similar. Such a pity, because its obvious that some units are very good sounding, but for how long?? Until these issues with manufacture are sorted out i'm not willing to take the risk

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #149 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually, after more thorough testing with different songs, actually the faults I thought that were faults weren't actually faults at all. Its actually a pro, as it seems the separation is so uncanny and unlike a portable amp, some of my tracks that were recorded to have a more prominent side really shined through, making me think that there was a channel imbalance (had to AB with my O2, speakers, etc). A plus I must say, at first it really confused me, lol. So far I have about 20 hours burn in, and even at that little amount, this thing bests my Pico, Mini3, T4, E5. None of them even come close IMO, it really is unlike a portable amp, yet, IT IS! and I can't imagine it getting better, which its supposed to with more burn in
biggrin.gif
As for the AD797, it works, just soft weird noises when turning volume up or down with nothing playing. It sort of sounds like the opposite of the AD8065, as in its not quite as detailed or punchy, but it has this warm/dark smoothness to it that sounds really nice, a good change if you get tired of the stock or AD8065.

I'll report back on the charge circuit tho, as it doesn't seem to be as advertised at least. After completely draining the battery the charge light turned off after 4-5 hours, after I charged it the first time for 2 hours it lasted about 15-20 hours. So 4-5 hours I'm hoping equates to at least 30-40 hours. This is with bass and PToS off, PFE at volume setting 3. Still not quite the rated 60, but still good. Anyway, we'll see.

Still, please disregard the channel imbalance thing I reported. Sorry for falsely reporting that before fully doing more tests. This amp sounds incredible, that's all you need to know
wink.gif
Its THE only amp that I own where I could turn off ALL of the effects on the D2 (EQ, BBE) and have the D2 still sound awesome (even with all the stuff on, I thought my Clip sounded better, no more!). All my other amps, including my Pico (which I already sold), made the D2 sound like it was missing something. Likewise when paired with my clip. I just use the D2 because it sort of matches the size of the Minibox better, and now that it sounds good, the added storage and folder browsing is nice to have
tongue.gif
All I need now is a 16gb Fuze to strap to this thing
biggrin.gif

Sooo EFN, try any other opamps that I should give a whirl too?
wink.gif

Yes the advertising claim on the power drain is off the mark. But even so I am still VERY happy for the 8-10 hours of blissful music pumped out of this stellar amp. Despite the shortcomings in the power charging circuit, I have faith that the newer batch will have them resolved. Aside from my heavily modded STAX SRM-001 MK2, this is the only other amp that I will treasure and keep for good. So I am waiting eagerly for my MiniBox-E+ to return to me with the charging circuit fixed.

While waiting, I was lucky enough to have the company of a DecWare Zen Head ZH1 (Rev 5) and Penguin Amp Caffeine to drive my ER-4P. And yesterday I picked up a very special three channel CMOY which blown me away with some serious sonic performance - so much so that I am convinced that the CMOY is actually treading the same segment with the likes of MiniBox-E+, Lisa III and SR-71. You will hear more on this incredible CMOY from me in days to come.

Cheers.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #150 of 384
EFN,

The runtime is for 8610 isn't it? I own Govibe v3 that I use with 8066AR. The battery drain was significant with 8066 compared to 8620 on that amp.

I got mine on wednesday, other than the fact that the lettering on the front face 'Pow' the w is missing already which was kind of disappointing.

Haven't had much time to listen with a tooth infection, fever and a root canal done over the past week. But the little time I spent, I agree that this amp is really good. I am going to keep the stock opamp for some time as it sounds pretty good to me. I hope to spend more time later next week.

Mine is a v3 with push buttons. I kind of like the old switch type though
biggrin.gif
( old school)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back