Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Feb 6, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #106 of 384
Steed24, do a search and you will find that vorlon1 and I did an extensive portable amp review and the MiniBox-E+ was included. I concur w/ EFN and find that the MiniBox-E+ is one of the best portable amps I have heard.

nauxolo, I am very confused by your post. I just used my D5000 w/ the MiniBox-E+ and the soundstage is HUGE! I took the volume to the max I could stand w/ the D5000 (2) and the sound is full, organic, detailed, clear, great depth, lots of air between the notes. Beautiful just beautiful, so it looks like EFN assesment is correct (you have a konked unit).

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #108 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by autosound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, the minibox sounds amazing with my MS1's. I just found my ksc75's today and plugged them into the amp and they just sound incredible.

Yep same here. My KSC-75 which was practically ignored to collect dust previously is now getting regular listening time at home with the MiniBox-E+. initially they don't sound too good but then I realized the KSC-75 wasn't burned in yet at that time. Now with Kramer mod and MiniBox, the sound coming out from that KSC-75 is "almost" high end
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #110 of 384
Nice review. The Minibox-E+ is the only truly satisfying portable amp I've heard. It doesn't really do anything wrong, which is a big accomplishment for a portable amp. Nice transparency, neutrality, control, tonality, the goods. I've also ówned the Pico and Hornet and prefer the Minibox-E+ by a wide margin. It works very well with PK1's, ESW9's, and others.

Also: The flatter form factor is quite pocket-friendly.

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #111 of 384
nauxolo:
Glad that you solved the problem.
Yes some headphone will be a bit more efficient than others and will sound good even without amps specially if the source is already very good sounding.
Remember this, the amp will only amplify what the source fed them with.

Headphony:
Same sentiment here. You should try opamp rolling (with mono opamps) and you will be surprised how much further the MiniBox-E+ can go.

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #112 of 384
Hmm... I would love to try it with my PK1 but Head-Direct doesn't seem to have them in stock. Guess I'll just wait till it comes up in FS forum.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #114 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen a pic of the MBE+ powered on yet... what color is the LED? Blue? Very bright?

Blue. A bit on the bright side but certainly not bothersome.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #116 of 384
If I will be using the PFE and JVC HA-RX700 along with my player, a Sony S639F, and I want something I can stow away in a small drawer when not in use (in other words, not a full-size desktop amp), will the Minibox make a significant enough difference to justify buying it?

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #117 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I will be using the PFE and JVC HA-RX700 along with my player, a Sony S639F, and I want something I can stow away in a small drawer when not in use (in other words, not a full-size desktop amp), will the Minibox make a significant enough difference to justify buying it?

I have listened to a few amps in the span of two years. Depending on your cans, some will respond better to amplification that the others.

I have little doubt that the MB+ will not fail to offer refinement to your cans. The thing you should know about good amps is that they DON'T change the sound too much. MB+ is very faithful to the source and the refinement will be apparent in the form of better dynamics, fast transients, well controlled highs, succinct separation and impactful bass.

Cheers.

[size=medium]EDIT:
First page updated for opamp rolling results.[/size]

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #120 of 384
OH,... I have a friend who is going to Guangzhou and he will bring it back for me. You can also check out taobao from the chinese website. He told me he can get it for me as he is working between China and Guangzhou at the moment. Maybe I can ask him to see if he can get some for your friends : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back