Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary Edition, NFB-1AMP, NFB-3AMP)
Jun 12, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #526 of 785
The XLR connection of the C-2 amp is indeed for convenience, but I can't see why it should necessary be worse than the SE connection. One should test both outputs before any judgment.
I think Kingwa has implied that the XLR connection of the NFB-1 amp is slightly better than (any) connection of the C-2 amp and better than the SE connection of the NFB-1 amp.
The performance of the C-2 obviously cannot be tested on the NFB-1 amp.

I dont really know much details on the C-2, but as far as the NFB-1AMP goes i am pretty sure that the xlr has multiple times the power compared to the SE output.
And besides that the XLR also utilizes all parts of the amp, and the SE bypasses parts of its balanced structure.
If and how much this affects the sound i cant tell though, and since i only use the XLR with my headphones i cant test it all too well :wink:

In the end i would just go with the output the amp was built around and have an adapter ready if needed.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #527 of 785
A regular, single-ended amp has an amplifier circuit on the positive part of the connection to your headphones, and the negative just returns the signal to ground.

A "balanced" amp (technically not a great description) has amplification on both the positive and the signal return. If you used the singled-ended socket in one of the Audio-gd amps, you'll indeed not be using half the circuit.

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #528 of 785
I am a litte confused here ... the DAC 19 is a single ended DAC, so coupling it with the NFB-1AMP would lead to a not fully balanced chain, right?
By the way, what are the benefits of also having a balanced DAC?

Apparently you can get the option for both the DAC 19 and NFB-1AMP to get mini-xlr instead of the ACSS interconnection.

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #529 of 785
The higher end audio-gd preamp like the Master 1 and Master 9 can covert single ended input through its ACSS circuitary and output fully balanced signal through its 4 output buffer circuit. I am not sure if the NFB1Amp could do the same.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #531 of 785
Has anybody been using the C-2 with hd800, how does it pair?

I haven't tried my HD800 with my C-2 but I could... maybe tonight.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #532 of 785
I haven't tried my HD800 with my C-2 but I could... maybe tonight.

That would be helpful, I own a Lehmann BCL that I'm using with my HD800 right now.
I like the pairing, but I feel like I could get a more articulated sound. The BCL albeit highly detailed, still has a relaxed feel, and not great soundstage.

I'm using it with my agd Master7.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #533 of 785
That would be helpful, I own a Lehmann BCL that I'm using with my HD800 right now.
I like the pairing, but I feel like I could get a more articulated sound. The BCL albeit highly detailed, still has a relaxed feel, and not great soundstage.

I use my C2 with a DAC-19 connected via ACSS.

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #534 of 785

Spent an hour or so listening to the DAC-19/C-2/HD-800 combo today.  Wasn't all that enamored with it.  A bit too dry and lifeless sounding for my tastes.  I had to increase the volume past my comfort level to get more life and dynamics out of the combo. Also, I had to use a bit of EQ to boost the bass or it was just painfully harsh. 

I was listening to a varied collection of prog rock (Yes, Starcastle, Rush, Muse), prog/death metal (Between the Buried and Me, Born of Osiris), hard rock (Drivin and Cryin), pop (Annie Lennox), new wave/synthpop (New Order, OMD).  At that point I lost interest in this ever being a combo I would want to use. 

I normally use my HD800 with my Yggdrasil and Ember 2, and the pairing is a lot better. Yeah I know the Yggdrasil and Ember 2 is a weird pairing, but it works and works well.  Tubes really help dull the HD800 razer-blade sharpness in a pleasing way.  I may add a Ragnarok to the mix eventually and use the Ember as a tube buffer, but not until I see what new magical boxes of wonder that Schiit has in store for us this year.

My favorite headphones to use with the DAC-19/C-2 combo is either the HE-400i or the LCD-XC for open vs closed listening.  

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #535 of 785

Spent an hour or so listening to the DAC-19/C-2/HD-800 combo today.  Wasn't all that enamored with it.  A bit too dry and lifeless sounding for my tastes.  I had to increase the volume past my comfort level to get more life and dynamics out of the combo. Also, I had to use a bit of EQ to boost the bass or it was just painfully harsh. 

I was listening to a varied collection of prog rock (Yes, Starcastle, Rush, Muse), prog/death metal (Between the Buried and Me, Born of Osiris), hard rock (Drivin and Cryin), pop (Annie Lennox), new wave/synthpop (New Order, OMD).  At that point I lost interest in this ever being a combo I would want to use. 

I normally use my HD800 with my Yggdrasil and Ember 2, and the pairing is a lot better. Yeah I know the Yggdrasil and Ember 2 is a weird pairing, but it works and works well.  Tubes really help dull the HD800 razer-blade sharpness in a pleasing way.  I may add a Ragnarok to the mix eventually and use the Ember as a tube buffer, but not until I see what new magical boxes of wonder that Schiit has in store for us this year.

My favorite headphones to use with the DAC-19/C-2 combo is either the HE-400i or the LCD-XC for open vs closed listening.  

I have the NFB 1.32 DAC and the NFB-1AMP and really love that combo with my HE-400i too :)

I also own the Oppo-PM3, most of the time for portable use, but when connected to the NFB combo the are also very nice.

IMO and to my ears, the Audio-GD stuff is just dead neutral and lets you "hear" the rest of your chain, which is both good and bad :p

I also have the C-10 Power amp in my speaker setup, and i had to get rid of my Triangle speakers (horn tweeters) because that combo was too treble oriented.
With the also very neutral Von Schweikert VR-4jr the system now shines again, pure joy without fatigue even for multiple hours in one session
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #536 of 785

I have the NFB 1.32 DAC and the NFB-1AMP and really love that combo with my HE-400i too :)

I also own the Oppo-PM3, most of the time for portable use, but when connected to the NFB combo the are also very nice.

IMO and to my ears, the Audio-GD stuff is just dead neutral and lets you "hear" the rest of your chain, which is both good and bad :p

I also have the C-10 Power amp in my speaker setup, and i had to get rid of my Triangle speakers (horn tweeters) because that combo was too treble oriented.
With the also very neutral Von Schweikert VR-4jr the system now shines again, pure joy without fatigue even for multiple hours in one session
biggrin.gif

I really like how quiet the Audio-gd amps are.  Even with low impedance headphones, there's no background noise.

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #538 of 785
It's not recommended for IEM but I do use it. I use it in balanced mode with Sony XBA Z5's to very good effect.

I tried it in SE mode with Shure SE535's but wasn't very impressed, although noise wasn't a huge problem

If you are going to use it for IEM's I would suggest:
1) It's only really suitable for less efficient IEM's that need more power (such as the Sonys).
2) Use it in balanced mode - this will probably require an after-market cable.
3) Be careful not to blow your eardrums - although the amp does re-set to 0 volume on each start-up, so that is a useful safety feature.

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #539 of 785
Is anyone having low volume imbalance on NFB-1AMP (or Masters with similar volume control?) ? I'm getting sound bleeding from right channel even at ZERO volume and the imbalance keeps until 5-10 volume.. I don't remember it doing this before so I guess some component is fishy.

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #540 of 785
  Is anyone having low volume imbalance on NFB-1AMP (or Masters with similar volume control?) ? I'm getting sound bleeding from right channel even at ZERO volume and the imbalance keeps until 5-10 volume.. I don't remember it doing this before so I guess some component is fishy.

I also have the NFB-1AMP but never noticed anything like this.

All i know is that it has no proper "zero sound" level, there is always a little bit of sound getting through, although perfectly balanced/centered at my unit.

Maybe just shoot Kingwa an email, he usually is very responsive and helpful.
If something is really wrong you should be covered by the 10 Year warranty.

Should there be the case that you have to get it repaired, you can also do that at one of Audio-GDs partners.
One of them is in the EU, Magna-Hifi:  http://www.magnahifi.com/index.php/de/

I bought my NFB-1AMP there and they said they can repair all Audio-GD units, just have to order the parts.
That saves shipping costs and time, especially should my 40kg C-10 power amp ever get broken xD

Hope that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back