Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary Edition, NFB-1AMP, NFB-3AMP)
May 28, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #511 of 785
  G'day,

Does anyone use/heard LCD-X with NFB-1AMP? How do they pair up with the amp? Does it have enough power/current to drive low impedance LCD-X?

I'm considering getting NFB-1AMP and DAC-19 instead of Master 11. That combo will save me nearly 800AUD (not including import taxes and GST) - more money for music.

From what I've read here on Head-Fi, people recommend to have balanced NFB-1AMP plus DAC-19 over C2 (11 anniversary edition) plus DAC-19 if you have balanced phones. LCD-X come with SE and balanced stock cables. So there could be an advantage of using balanced NFB-1AMP over SE C2, wouldn't be?.
I don't have a lot of experience in audio, I'm learning a lot from you over here. I have never heard balanced amp so I don't really have experience between SE and balanced amp sound signature. I don't know what to expect . What is your opinion and recommendation? The price difference is minor between C2 and NFB-1AMP. Is it worth to get balanced over SE?

cheers

Kristof

The NFB1AMP has more than enough power for Audeze headphones. Since the LCD-X comes with a 4-pin XLR cable then you don't have to worry about the connection to the amp. 

Basically with Audio-gd, the bigger the power supply, the better the clarity. I think either amp would be fine. 

May 28, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #512 of 785

You can use either amp with the DAC-19.  NFB-1AMP has both RCA and ACSS inputs, both of which sound great out of the DAC-19.

ACSS is how I connect my DAC-19 to my C-2.

krzysmac,
That's a great choice to save some money.  You won't be sorry.  Also, you could literally blow your eardrums out and smoke the LCD-X with that amp.  It's got loads of clean power.  My C-2 sounds wonderful with my LCD-2s.

Kingwa recommends C-2 with DAC-19, I'm pretty sure he does that for a reason.

May 28, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #513 of 785

Kingwa recommends C-2 with DAC-19, I'm pretty sure he does that for a reason.

Kingwa recommends C-2 with DAC-19 if your headphone is single ended.

Otherwise, he recommends NFB1AMP with DAC-19 of your headphone is balanced.

Neither is superior than the other. It depends on your usage.

May 28, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #514 of 785
  To the best of my knowledge though, I was under the impression that in order for it to be truly balanced what you really need is a balanced dac >balanced connection to amp> balanced amp then u can worry about whether or not you connect balanced headphones? But as far as power goes from the amp to headphones, if you have a balanced amp and connect SE headphones you end up getting roughly half the max output as compared to a pair of balanced headphones? So for this situation i would think it would depend on your collection of headphones you plan on using, if you have both SE and balanced headphones i would think going with the C2 would give u the best bang for the buck since you can connect balanced 4 pin XLR and SE 1/4in both getting all the power but if u get the nfb-1amp you would not be getting all the power with SE headphones. And since the dac-19 is not balanced anyway you aren't getting a real balanced signal no matter what?

I'm still somewhat new to all this so i may very well be wrong with some of that. Only trying to help! Set me right if i'm wrong!

thanks, it make sense looking from that perspective, however it doesn't make my choice (nfb-1amp or c2) easier
confused_face(1).gif
 still deciding. I will use lcd-x mostly, I think. I also have old HD580. they SE and I use them with LD MKIII amp which is not a good match for lcd-x. I may sell the LD MKIII or keep it. I am also keen to try to DIY balanced cable for senheiser so NBF-1AMP would be better. Otherwise it would make sense to have just C2 for both of the cans and maybe sell LD MKIII. Many things to think about :) I'll see how the LCD-X will compare with HD580. I should have my new phones soon, next week.

Kristof

May 28, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #515 of 785
  thanks, it make sense looking from that perspective, however it doesn't make my choice (nfb-1amp or c2) easier
confused_face(1).gif
 still deciding. I will use lcd-x mostly, I think. I also have old HD580. they SE and I use them with LD MKIII amp which is not a good match for lcd-x. I may sell the LD MKIII or keep it. I am also keen to try to DIY balanced cable for senheiser so NBF-1AMP would be better. Otherwise it would make sense to have just C2 for both of the cans and maybe sell LD MKIII. Many things to think about :) I'll see how the LCD-X will compare with HD580. I should have my new phones soon, next week.

Kristof

How about Master 11? You will get a balanced DAC and amp in one unit. I reckon this would be better than DAC-19 + NFB-1Amp combination. I know I am not helping making this any easier. 
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #517 of 785

How about Master 11? You will get a balanced DAC and amp in one unit. I reckon this would be better than DAC-19 + NFB-1Amp combination. I know I am not helping making this any easier. 
biggrin.gif

haha yeah I know, I wish... master 11 would be a great choice, but the price is a factor here. It's nearly $800AUD more than the combo plus import tax and GST. I can buy quite a few LP and CDs for $800 and that makes the combo a great alternative and it provides about 95% of M11 according to those who had a luck to hear both. Choices. Decisions....all ahead of me. thank you all for your advice's. That's what I like about the forum, you get a lot of different opinions.

May 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #518 of 785
  haha yeah I know, I wish... master 11 would be a great choice, but the price is a factor here. It's nearly $800AUD more than the combo plus import tax and GST. I can buy quite a few LP and CDs for $800 and that makes the combo a great alternative and it provides about 95% of M11 according to those who had a luck to hear both. Choices. Decisions....all ahead of me. thank you all for your advice's. That's what I like about the forum, you get a lot of different opinions.

Understood.

When I purchased my DAC-19, I did not know that Master 11 would be released within couple of months. Had I known it, I might be rocking a Master 11 rather than a DAC-19. I am not pulling your leg - true story. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #520 of 785
Hi, I am proud and satisfied owner of agd Precision 2. Using it mostly as headphone amp with DAC19 these days.
But.. I am also thinking about building up second HP rig in second room. Please, did anyone of You have a chance to listen and compare Precision 1, P2 with NFB 1 Amp or C2 amp? 
I am wondering wherether the SQ is near the level of P2,DAC19 combo?

By now I am leaning more towards separate units then all in one solution/NFB28,M11.
Thanks for any idea.

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #522 of 785
Has anyone with the C-2 compared the balanced connection vs the SE connection?  

Just curious if there's any benefit/detriment to the power or signal if I plug into balanced.  I realize it's not a balanced amp, but I'm thinking of re-cabling some headphones and would rather put balanced connectors on them.  Unfortunately I don't have any headphones with both cable types to directly compare.

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #523 of 785
I think kingwa himself said that the balanced plug on the C1 is just for convenience, just like the SE connector of the NFB-1AMP.
The performance SHOULD be better on the SE of the C1, but i did not test that on my NFB-1AMP.

But if you want to recable with balanced plug, just build a simple XLR to SE adapter and you will be set for all cases :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #524 of 785
I think kingwa himself said that the balanced plug on the C1 is just for convenience, just like the SE connector of the NFB-1AMP.
The performance SHOULD be better on the SE of the C1, but i did not test that on my NFB-1AMP.

But if you want to recable with balanced plug, just build a simple XLR to SE adapter and you will be set for all cases :)

The XLR connection of the C-2 amp is indeed for convenience, but I can't see why it should necessary be worse than the SE connection. One should test both outputs before any judgment.
I think Kingwa has implied that the XLR connection of the NFB-1 amp is slightly better than (any) connection of the C-2 amp and better than the SE connection of the NFB-1 amp.
The performance of the C-2 obviously cannot be tested on the NFB-1 amp.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #525 of 785
  Hi, I am proud and satisfied owner of agd Precision 2. Using it mostly as headphone amp with DAC19 these days.
But.. I am also thinking about building up second HP rig in second room. Please, did anyone of You have a chance to listen and compare Precision 1, P2 with NFB 1 Amp or C2 amp? 
I am wondering wherether the SQ is near the level of P2,DAC19 combo?

By now I am leaning more towards separate units then all in one solution/NFB28,M11.
Thanks for any idea.

I don't think you'll find anyone has. These are pretty rare units and its unlikely someone has them all.

However, if you have sensitive headphones or IEMs then the C2 or NFB1 would definitely be a better choice. 

the distortion of NFB-1AMP is just wow, slightly better than Master 9.

Definitely surprising. Considering the price gap I'd grab the NFB1.

Has anyone with the C-2 compared the balanced connection vs the SE connection?  

Just curious if there's any benefit/detriment to the power or signal if I plug into balanced.  I realize it's not a balanced amp, but I'm thinking of re-cabling some headphones and would rather put balanced connectors on them.  Unfortunately I don't have any headphones with both cable types to directly compare.

On the C2 the XLR jack is wired the same as the SE. There wouldn't be any difference. 

I have a previous version of the C2 Class A (version just before this 11th anniversary version). I'm totally digging the unit. Sounds totally terrific and a very dark background. Sounds perfect with my ultimate ears reference monitor. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back