Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Nov 27, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #421 of 1,487
Really? I am pretty sure Jaben only has the M7 & M9. I was in Wan Chai last Friday, didn't see any Z1R on display.
Then its been removed, I was at all three, 3 weeks ago and demoed it.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #422 of 1,487
Really? I am pretty sure Jaben only has the M7 & M9. I was in Wan Chai last Friday, didn't see any Z1R on display.
Most of the head shops has the M series, even all the Sony store.

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #423 of 1,487
Where did you get that decal from?

There is a custom decal (skin,sticker) shop near me, and all i have to do is just make my own design, then tell them to create it ^^.
Btw: What do you think? It still has flaws around the edge, but since this is the first one, i will leave it just for protecting the Carbon-fiber shell

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #426 of 1,487
The IER-Z1R demo IS NOT AVAILABLE any where, anytime, okay?
only when Sony JAPAN wanted to do some "sneak peek demo" also to collect feedback from HK's user
I had to fill in a questionnaire after the demo in JabenHK

Each shop only have a demo section of 5 - 6 hours and those demo unit cycle through each shop
so you have to check when and where to demo it. Also, no demo section held at the moment.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #427 of 1,487
The IER-Z1R demo IS NOT AVAILABLE any where, anytime, okay?
only when Sony JAPAN wanted to do some "sneak peek demo" also to collect feedback from HK's user
I had to fill in a questionnaire after the demo in JabenHK

Each shop only have a demo section of 5 - 6 hours and those demo unit cycle through each shop
so you have to check when and where to demo it. Also, no demo section held at the moment.

1.jpg Calm down... You sound so angry...

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #429 of 1,487
I have finally purchased a pair if IER-M9's and I certainly think these are Andromeda killers for sure. They still dont quite have the full on sub-bass as a DD has, but they certainly have more than the Andros. They also have amazing detail, very spacious sounding and wonderful on both male and female vocals. It's still early in my ownership, and I will say the supplied hybrid and triple tips are not to my liking. I have been doing lots of tip rolling and have settled on a pair of double flange silicon tips but they are a little loose on the nozzles ( they come off in my ears with IEM removal).

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #430 of 1,487
Ooo boy.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #432 of 1,487
I have finally purchased a pair if IER-M9's and I certainly think these are Andromeda killers for sure. They still dont quite have the full on sub-bass as a DD has, but they certainly have more than the Andros. They also have amazing detail, very spacious sounding and wonderful on both male and female vocals. It's still early in my ownership, and I will say the supplied hybrid and triple tips are not to my liking. I have been doing lots of tip rolling and have settled on a pair of double flange silicon tips but they are a little loose on the nozzles ( they come off in my ears with IEM removal).

Same here, I switched from Andromeda and don't need the iematch anymore, just M9 -> custom balanced 2.5 cable -> DX200. Portable, easy to setup and extremely neutral sound for me, super happy with this !

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #433 of 1,487
Same here, I switched from Andromeda and don't need the iematch anymore, just M9 -> custom balanced 2.5 cable -> DX200. Portable, easy to setup and extremely neutral sound for me, super happy with this !

True. m9 is easier to drive, not as sensitive as Andros. m9 has the darkness, andros has the sparkles.

Dec 3, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #434 of 1,487
These M9 reviews are all over the place. Some say it's lifeless and some love the musicality of them. I wish there was somewhat of a consensus on them. If they are a bit power hungry that could be the reason behind the bad reviews. I realize that many here in the IEM section only use portable sources and many of them are under powered, but I mostly use IEMs with a hugo 2 and I also have a headamp Gilmore mk2 that I like to use with IEMs if they like more juice.

Unless I get to audition them, chances are slim I'd buy them. It would be too much of a gamble to buy them unless I can find them on Amazon. I haven't checked if they are on there but I'll look later. I'm trying to plan a trip to Tokyo next year and if we go then I'd make sure to go to Akihabara and listen to them. Plus I love toku so I'd be able to hit up all of the stores catering to otakus.

I can see why people say the M9 sounds lifeless. The M9 doesn't have very good dynamics. It is slightly warm and laid back.

The bass extends very well but doesn't have much slam. For a BA based iem, the bass sounds full but lacks enough decay for a realistic sounding bass compared to DD.

The mids take a slight step back in comparison to the bass and highs. Vocals are portrayed slightly toward the back of stage but isn't veiled. Voices have good clarity. Some do not like the tone, but I don't find vocals to be portrayed badly, just not very forward.

The highs are very nice to me. It extends upwards well and is very smooth. Cymbals crash nicely with quite a nice sparkle yet there isn't sibilance. It doesn't have as much "air" as the andromeda but sounds more realistic to me.

The M9 has fantastic coherency and spatial imaging. It isn't as wide as the ex1000 or andromeda, but places instruments around you very well. Everything comes together nicely and nothing sounds overly detached.

The only bad parts of the M9 to me would be:
-Slightly recessed mids
-Lack of slam/attack of the bass
-Not as dynamic sounding as I'd like it to be
-Could be priced better compared to the M7

Dec 3, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #435 of 1,487
I can see why people say the M9 sounds lifeless. The M9 doesn't have very good dynamics. It is slightly warm and laid back.

The bass extends very well but doesn't have much slam. For a BA based iem, the bass sounds full but lacks enough decay for a realistic sounding bass compared to DD.

The mids take a slight step back in comparison to the bass and highs. Vocals are portrayed slightly toward the back of stage but isn't veiled. Voices have good clarity. Some do not like the tone, but I don't find vocals to be portrayed badly, just not very forward.

The highs are very nice to me. It extends upwards well and is very smooth. Cymbals crash nicely with quite a nice sparkle yet there isn't sibilance. It doesn't have as much "air" as the andromeda but sounds more realistic to me.

The M9 has fantastic coherency and spatial imaging. It isn't as wide as the ex1000 or andromeda, but places instruments around you very well. Everything comes together nicely and nothing sounds overly detached.

The only bad parts of the M9 to me would be:
-Slightly recessed mids
-Lack of slam/attack of the bass
-Not as dynamic sounding as I'd like it to be
-Could be priced better compared to the M7
The totl model didnt have much bass eventhough it has a dynamic driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back