Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #317 of 1,487
This thread has quite a bit of people who say M9>andros and the RMAF thread had people that said Andros>M9. I returned mine as I wasn't sure I would like them over andros and other similar priced IEMs.
I would say they should be both awesome. They just have different signature so it really depends on preference.

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #318 of 1,487
My current reference is Audeze LCD-i4 terminated to 4.4mm Pentaconn driven by gold Sony Walkman. The short time I had at RMAF with the IER-Z1 already tells me 1Z will be my new reference IEM.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #319 of 1,487
My current reference is Audeze LCD-i4 terminated to 4.4mm Pentaconn driven by gold Sony Walkman. The short time I had at RMAF with the IER-Z1 already tells me 1Z will be my new reference IEM.

I wonder if by "reference" you mean neutral and flat? From what i've listened to for on the Z1R, it is a rather coloured IEM that is geared towards the consumer market for a fun and more enjoyable signature - which would perhaps make it not the best option if searching for an improvement in "reference" from the Audeze.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #320 of 1,487
I wonder if by "reference" you mean neutral and flat? From what i've listened to for on the Z1R, it is a rather coloured IEM that is geared towards the consumer market for a fun and more enjoyable signature - which would perhaps make it not the best option if searching for an improvement in "reference" from the Audeze.

No, it means my best in this case.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #322 of 1,487
Will be waiting for an unboxing video by you of this gem :wink:

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #323 of 1,487
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #324 of 1,487
Today I visited the local Sony Centre and tried the M9, at first I thought the sound is a little distanced, but then listening to a few track, I do rather like it, a improvement over the Ex1000, although there is a price differences, and it wasn't meant to go against it. The IEM looks big, but the design makes it easy to fit into the ears, I have small ears and they also fit quite well, the ear hook is so smooth and soft, you don't even notice you are wearing it.

I'd love to try the Z1R, I'm sure it will show a great improvement over the M9, I have yet to try the JE, but going by the design, it's going to be really big for me.

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #325 of 1,487
I was very satisfied with my A3 and have loved the upgrade to Z5, but as they share the design the awkward fit this has always had me feeling that I'd one day have to find something with an ideal fit. I was always hoping Sony would come out with an IN-ear design like their Japan only custom iems, finally my prayers were answered, but unfortunately the pricing is almost up there with their customs. I'm sure they're worth it but if the M7 doesn't suit my tastes I'll have to keep something else in mind. From opinions here those Z1R sure sound good.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #326 of 1,487
I've just ordered a cable for the Z1R and M9, I don't have the IEM yet, but since it's MMCX they should be compatible, or I can convert it my for EX1000. Direct from Sony is cheaper than buying from online store.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #328 of 1,487
I am so happy that IER-Z1R is not crazy expensive. $2300 is reasonable by today's standards.
You are correct, its just that people have never come across a Sony branded iem at this price, this also refer to JE.

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #329 of 1,487
I am so happy that IER-Z1R is not crazy expensive. $2300 is reasonable by today's standards.

You are correct, its just that people have never come across a Sony branded iem at this price, this also refer to JE.
At least people are open about drinking the Kool Aid nowadays. Drink up!

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #330 of 1,487

Man that is rich...it is like saying you are happy Kim Jong Un is not so crazy, he is quite reasonable in Trump standards.

Some brands decide to stick to TOTL below 1k, like Sennheiser. THAT is reasonable (and not even so much)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back