Thoughts on Building a Collection
Jul 24, 2011 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

franconero

Head-Fier
I'm just beginning to get into quality headphones and have started out with Sennheiser HD598's and am really happy with them and my new Schiit Asgard. I can already feel however a sort of pull to buy another pair. I'd like to know how all of you who have multiple headphones approach this - does one simply climb the ladder, or does it make sense to buy something with a sort of different sound signature entirely for contrast?
I get that a hobby like this is all about chasing ever better sound, but if that was the whole thing each new purchase would be simply replacing the last. So... is there something out there that would make a nice compliment to the HD598, or, should I just get the HD650 and move up the line?

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 6
Depends on what you like. I prefer to have different sound sigs and contrast. But I also climb the ladder when I find a "superior" headphone that is clearly a step up from the previous model I have that was in that sound slot. I usually sell the older headphone off (for instance, HD650 -> LCD2).  But I keep different sound sigs, still have a K701 in the stable, etc.

I also get different headphones for different situations.  I have slots for portable headphones, and slots for those solely for home use. You'll figure this all out yourself. Some like to have an array of weapons to choose from to fit the situations they face on a daily basis.

You might just need one headphone and keep climbing up. Nobody can tell you what is right for you, except for yourself.

BTW, I have not heard the HD598 but I don't think it shares the same sound sig as the HD650. From what I've read on the HD598, The HD650 is not a "step up the ladder" from the HD598, it's a different sound altogether. 

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by franconero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can already feel however a sort of pull to buy another pair. I'd like to know how all of you who have multiple headphones approach this - does one simply climb the ladder, or does it make sense to buy something with a sort of different sound signature entirely for contrast? I get that a hobby like this is all about chasing ever better sound, but if that was the whole thing each new purchase would be simply replacing the last.

I hate to admit it, but that happens to everyone. It doesn't matter what you have, or how much you like it; curiosity and desire to upgrade will always eat away at you. In my case, I continued to climb the latter for years, until I hit the HE-500 and knew I wouldn't get any higher, nor did I really want to. At that point, I finally realized I could easily settle for much less, and therefore don't have the need or want to upgrade anymore. I stick with the basics now, and am actually more satisfied than I ever have been. Partially because I now know that I've heard much better headphones, yet can actually settle for less.

Quote:
So... is there something out there that would make a nice compliment to the HD598, or, should I just get the HD650 and move up the line?

Most Head-Fi'ers on here will admit they couldn't live with just one headphone. They do that exact thing you mentioned, and that is, have multiple headphones that are good at different things. Yes, there are headphones like the HD598 that are simply good at everything, but to have different flavors, new aspects of sound, and overall refinement improvement; from pair to pair can be a great advantage. Just like with anything else, mood will change, listening preferences will change, and so it can be said it's smart to own more than one headphone.

HD650 is a great way to go assuming you like the HD598, but they actually differ in sound. HD598 is brighter, more fun/engaging, and has massive soundstage. The HD650 is as smooth or smoother, more laid back, and doesn't have as good of soundstage. Yet, most of it's aspects can be improved immensely when you put in lots of time and money into them.

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your thoughts guys - all of what you've said makes sense. Sounds like your saying Katun that I could have it both ways if I got HD650 - I'd be stepping up and there's enough contrast that I could keep the HD598 as well. That seems like I pretty good move. Of course, I think that part of this creeping sickness includes the desire to buy other makes as well.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 6
I just bought whatever seemed interesting. Went through about 20 pairs before I settled in (mostly) with the HD-800 and Zana Deux. There might be something out there I'd like better, but the cost of seeking it out is too high. I'm going to settle down with the combination until something really new shows up.

Buy used gear - you can usually sell it for what you paid. That makes it fairly easy to sample a lot of gear. Also, attend meets. They're hugely fun aside from the gear, and you'll learn a lot.

It'll take a year or two, but you'll eventually settle in on what's perfect for you. Most of all, it's fun. I miss seeking new equipment and having new equipment to try. That was exciting. These days, I've hnkered down with my gear and have been exploring new music. It's fun, too, but I miss going through new headphones and amps, wondering what I'll discover.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 6
If I were to start a collection - I'd move out of my puny downtown condo to a spacious home, build a huge display shelf unit
and start buying up all the flagships.

But that's really not my style and seems a bit too much for me, so I just keep a single pair lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back