Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 15, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #4,127 of 6,500
Guys, please take the DBT discussion to Sound Science, rather than polluting this thread with it.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #4,128 of 6,500
My preference is a solid piece of equipment with a silver-colored metal case, lots of inputs, a low noise floor, no audible distortion or signal drop outs, treble that doesn't cut holes in my ears, no wall-wart power supply, a dedicated 3rd-pin ground, and less than $1000. To me, those options are just as important as the sound. 

That sounds like a lot of conditions but all those are quite generic nowadays. E.g. here you have 7-8 choices from one company only http://marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productlisting.aspx?catid=networkproducts&subcatid=avreceiver .. nice silver cases, more inputs than anyone needs, warm sound and except the latest 7009 all under $1000.

There are probably hundreds if not thousands of components that fit all your above criteria ... how do you choose?

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #4,130 of 6,500
However valid the reason for double-blind testing is it has nothing to do with this thread which is titled "thoughts on a bunch of DACs" and not "a definitive study on listener preference as it relates to music and DACs" or whatever.

Now... back to DACs. Please?

Guys, please take the DBT discussion to Sound Science, rather than polluting this thread with it.

I Have to agree.

This is an
Subjective impressions thread,
So subjective impressions rule ..

Many dac impression posts here are quality comparisons And the experience of users is invaluable to us.

In my opinion DBT (especially in this thread) is utter polution And the reasons posted to disregard it was enlightening so now that the moderator has spoken we can put this behind us..

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #4,131 of 6,500
My current favorite DACs are the ones in my two main systems: Wavelength Crimson (head fi rig) and Kora Hermes II (dedicated 2-channel rig.)  The Kora is an old girl and only 16/44 compatible, but I'll eat my hat if anything else sounds as smooth, full and wonderful.  Plus it looks great. 
redface.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #4,132 of 6,500
That's the problem that bothers me.  My ears know what I like, just as your ears know what you like.  We all have preferences.

Well of course but there is nothing wrong with seeking out people who seem to have preferences very close to yours. Lucky for me I have heard quite a few of the DACS Purrin reviewed and I had close to the same conclusions. Also his stated sound preferences mirror mine. But yeah if you read Purrin's or anyone's, for that matter, posts and you have different preferences than him then his list would be totally useless to you. Personally Purrin has saved me alot of money though lol.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #4,134 of 6,500

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.  I'm assuming one pair into each pin and one pair to connector ground?  Or do I leave off the last pair?  And should I do the same for balanced interconnects between DAC and Amp?

And that second paragraph made me LOL.  Thanks for such an illustrative example.

Short length of one foot or less. Just the hot and cold. I don't bother with ground. A real AES3 cable has a shield - probably needs to traverse 10-30ft. You are inside a home, so should be fine.

I like Mogami for interconnects or internal wiring. I like CAT 5 (TPs paralleled up) for speaker cables.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #4,135 of 6,500
 I like CAT 5 (TPs paralleled up) for speaker cables.

Do you double them up? How many cables per speaker?

A few years ago there was a brief trend in desktop gear that used regular RJ45 connections between amps and speakers (mostly Taiwanese I think). I kinda miss that as it was quite convenient and far slimmer than binding posts or speakon jacks.

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #4,137 of 6,500

Do you double them up? How many cables per speaker?

A few years ago there was a brief trend in desktop gear that used regular RJ45 connections between amps and speakers (mostly Taiwanese I think). I kinda miss that as it was quite convenient and far slimmer than binding posts or speakon jacks.

Here's some examples to try: <http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diycables.html>

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #4,138 of 6,500
So Yggy will be available less than a week from now... So says Mike on the other thread.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #4,139 of 6,500
Apr 16, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #4,140 of 6,500
Post#152
http://www.head-fi.org/t/752914/yggdrasil-a-p-review-two-days-of-paradise/150#post_11515598

Users who are viewing this thread

Back