Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 16, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #4,156 of 6,500
  Well poo.  My Theta DS Pro Basic II (balanced) came just now.  Plugged into the coax from the U12 that was working fine wiht the Adcoma and it won't give me a signal lock light.  When I try the same music from the coax out of my X5, it works fine.  Anyone have any suggestions on getting it working with the U12?  I made sure to use 16/44 to test and I know the cable and the U12 coax work otherwise.  I also tried both coax ports on the Theta.

Dan,
Why not shoot Purrin & Conquerator2 a PM,they might have a solution??
Don't know what else to suggest..????
Wish I had an answer for you....

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #4,157 of 6,500
  Dan,
Why not shoot Purrin & Conquerator2 a PM,they might have a solution??
Don't know what to suggest..????

Conquerator is asleep.  I'm going to hit him up in a few hours when they're awake across the pond.  I assume @purrin is keeping tabs on this thread so hopefully he'll chime in if he has any ideas.

It's a bit frustrating because the coax out works fine to both my NFB-28 and my Adcom.  And the same files playing off my X5 using coax with the same cable work fine.

The most frustrating thing?  The Theta sounds GOOD.  The treble is the most obvious difference:  it sounds more natural AND more detailed!  The bass is a bit fuller.  I don't know, I need to give it more time to really get a good idea of where all the differences are.  But subjectively, I prefer it even if only for the more natural treble.

Oh and it definitely doesn't have the congestion of the GDA-600.  It's a really nice open sound.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #4,158 of 6,500
OK,well at least your getting sound...LOL

You did read Conquerators2 post ,his review & comparison ,from a few days ago,didn't you?----that's what made me re-open my search for the Theta
Hang in there,the issue is probably a simple one

Yesterday,you were ready to MOD the 600,now it sounds like ,it's going in the closet..????

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #4,159 of 6,500
purrin just started a new job - I imagine he's coming to grips with the assembly process for Cavalli's Liquid Carbon right now and may not have time to visit this thread. Still, how hard can it be to slot a PCB into a case, hook up the power supply and test the thing ? 500 times  
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4,160 of 6,500
Every time I searched for the Theta DAC on ebay AbbassAudio (ID kievfilharmony2006) came up in the search results....after PM'ing him about his new units/old chips he is going to expand and sell ready-made....

"PCM58,PCM63 and TDA1541 and TDA1543 low cost DACs coming soon!
There will be kind of "plug and play" DACs "​

Edit:- though low-cost may be relative to high-end DAC pricing.... have PM'd again to try and get a ballpark figure for these NOS new units.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #4,161 of 6,500
  OK,well at least your getting sound...LOL

You did read Conquerators2 post ,his review & comparison ,from a few days ago,didn't you?----that's what made me re-open my search for the Theta
Hang in there,the issue is probably a simple one

Yesterday,you were ready to MOD the 600,now it sounds like ,it's going in the closet..????

Nah, I still want to mod it just for fun if nothing else.  But I think it has a lot of potential.  It's already arguably on par with the Sabre.  If the mod can make it sound better, even if it's not as good as the Theta, it's still worth checking out.  Then I can sell it to some lucky friend as a good into to R2R.  
biggrin.gif

Chatted with Conqueartor a bit and he doesn't have that problem with his U12, but he couldn't get it working with his DI-2014 (same idea, different company).  Also he's got AES on his so he didn't try coax.  He's gonna test coax later.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #4,162 of 6,500
  purrin just started a new job - I imagine he's coming to grips with the assembly process for Cavalli's Liquid Carbon right now and may not have time to visit this thread. Still, how hard can it be to slot a PCB into a case, hook up the power supply and test the thing ? 500 times  
evil_smiley.gif

Purrin is going to be assembling my Liquid Carbon??  I wonder if it's too late to cancel...

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #4,165 of 6,500
Purrin is with EC right?

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #4,166 of 6,500
  Purrin is with EC right?

Doh - my mistake - I've got Cavalli on the brain courtesy of the $599 OMG Liquid Carbon. Apologies to all concerned, especially the terrified young lady in my last photo : I expect that she'll be good as new when the bandages come off. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #4,167 of 6,500

Doh - my mistake - I've got Cavalli on the brain courtesy of the $599 OMG Liquid Carbon. Apologies to all concerned, especially the terrified young lady in my last photo : I expect that she'll be good as new when the bandages come off. 

Did you order the Carbon? 

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #4,168 of 6,500

Nah, I still want to mod it just for fun if nothing else.  But I think it has a lot of potential.  It's already arguably on par with the Sabre.  If the mod can make it sound better, even if it's not as good as the Theta, it's still worth checking out.  Then I can sell it to some lucky friend as a good into to R2R.  
biggrin.gif

Chatted with Conqueartor a bit and he doesn't have that problem with his U12, but he couldn't get it working with his DI-2014 (same idea, different company).  Also he's got AES on his so he didn't try coax.  He's gonna test coax later.

And remember what you paid for it,I mean LOL,-it was a gift..you were very lucky
Many guys are modding the 600,with very positive results.

I was expecting my 700,but due to a screw up from the seller,and mis-communication with Fedex,I'm now getting it next Wednesday.....I think?

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #4,169 of 6,500

Guessing he's working on the rival amp.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #4,170 of 6,500
Dear God... I just listened to the Bifrost Uber after sitting with the Theta for some time now...

the differences were more staggering than I could imagine.

I mean the Bifrost Uber is a balanced sound but it never breaks through the soundstage wall or pumps out serious bass rhythms or images as naturally as the Theta.

It always carries a slight tinge of digital glare to the entire spectrum of sound.

Bass of the Bifrost Uber is always tight, but it never gets anywhere near the bass presence factor that the Theta has.

I will do a more detailed comparison soon with more artists and genres. I was hoping for a better fight from my Bifrost Uber but nope.. it isn't even close.

I got this CD from this local band from San Diego. This was the deal breaker, I am going to sell the Bifrost Uber when I get a stand for my Asgard 2 to raise it above the Theta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back