Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 4, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #3,617 of 6,500
  So what is the latest revision for NFB 15?

If you go to their website, it'll be the one that they're selling right now.  :wink:

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #3,620 of 6,500

Clearly you're a fan since you own the M7.  Do you think the DAC-19 is worth a shot?  For all my complaining about the lack of cheap R2R options, I feel like I should grab one now that I know about it!  lol

Lol I would not say that am a fan of this chip because I own the M7. I didn’t buy the M7 for the chip I bought it because of my good experience of the master 9 together with the impressions in some reviews. My pointed was that many others more well-known CD/DAC companies are using or have used the chip and that the sound of 1704 is not equally with the sound of Audio GD Master 7, hens the line of companies I mentioned.

I don’t know if the DAC-19 is worth a shout or not. I’m personally not that concerned what DAC ship one DAC uses. To me it is about the SQ of the whole packages: DAC chip, filters, analog stage, upsample/NOS, inputs/outputs, balanced/SE, PSU etc and how they work together. I have heard and liked a verity of CD’s/DAC’s with different takes on DAC chips, analog stage and so on and have liked some more than other but have not come to find one component or design that I can say that I prefer over all others.

Surly I have not heard all or even a fraction of the CD’s/DAC’s that have been made. What I can do is see what different designers chose to use in their own low-, mid- and high end CD/DAC’s.

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #3,621 of 6,500

So, if I am going to stay in business, I can't absorb that cost. The easy way out is to just replace the model as mentioned above. If I am going to offer an upgrade, and the offer is intended to be a perk for my original users, how do I do it?

This is what I did at Theta – If the upgrade user was a registered user of the original product, his cost on the upgrade was 20% less than someone who was not an original user. I was flying by the seat of my pants. It did work and it was fair.

Thanks MM, please also remember that for those outside US, they also bought through dealers.  I still have my receipt, but some may not. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #3,622 of 6,500
Does anyone know whether the Progeny or Gen V can accept a processed signal [Dolby Digital 5.1, Virtual Surround, Digital True Surround, etc.]?
I know the Pro Basic does not but it seems to be different in that it seems to be made for CD Transports mainly [switch on the front says CD/DAT and has only COAX input], while Progeny/Gen V says OPTI/COAX].
Any tips appreciated.

Plus how much of a difference is there between the Progeny and the Prime one? How much of a down-grade it could be/how much different are they?
Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #3,623 of 6,500
Up until the Gungnir, I purchased all my other Schiit new. However, I'm totally fine with paying a reasonable premium over a registered user for an upgrade as it is hard not to see this approach as fair and balanced. I will say Mike, buying used isn't opportunist in my mind, there we can agree to disagree. If I had to go new, I couldn't have done so at the time. I stretched my budget to get a used  (still expensive relative to my income at the time Gungnir) and in doing so I have been able to talk about this amazing DAC so many times. I know for a fact there are two people I know personally who ordered a Gungnir from Schiit directly from talking to me about my experience, and the other guy from hearing mine. So while I completely agree with the tiered approach, I would suggest that the language of respect needs to be equally applied to all Schiit customers. Certainly when you consider how many people are out there like me; who have bought direct from Schiit before, in my case twice, will buy direct again, but despite that, for situational reasons did buy used. There is no shame in buying used, and in this hobby it is required except for the select few with such deep pockets saving money isn't an issue.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #3,624 of 6,500
What about people who bought b-stock directly from Schiit? I bought my gungnir as b-stock.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #3,628 of 6,500
  What about people who bought b-stock directly from Schiit? I bought my gungnir as b-stock.

I'm sure that counts as registered for Schiit, so don't worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back