Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 31, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #6,362 of 6,500
Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered the KTE Holo Springs Level 3.

Sure hope it lives up to the expectations....coming from PS Audio Nuwave

May 31, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #6,363 of 6,500
Hi, in relation to this thread, where would the Audiolab M-DAC rank? If anybody has heard this DAC could they tell me what they think of it?

Hmm, thought this old thread had been locked.

No direct experience, but googling key words from this thread title together with "audiolab mdac" might work for you since search this thread doesn't seem available any more. Trying this unearthed this very brief impression. There may be others...

Jun 2, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #6,364 of 6,500
May 16, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #6,365 of 6,500
LMAO. Hahaha. That's EXACTLY how I feel.

What happenned to this guy. He does a DAC shootout saying PS Audio MKll is one of the better DACS (when infact it's on of the worst DAC I've heard with a digital glare) creates his own website with a Schiit founder, continues to bash every Chord DACS just flat out lying about how they sound while giving their own Schiit products an excellence award all the time LOL. What a bunch of clowns - it's like a circle of 4-5 losers who keep claiming they got wronged without cause on HF site when infact it was their own technical limitations that made people go away. And while this guy Purrin has been publicly saying he has been a Schill with no shame at allover the years LOL.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #6,366 of 6,500
Deleted, irrelevant post on my part.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #6,367 of 6,500
I remember this thread from 2015. DACs are like fashion, they go in and out of style.

May 16, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #6,368 of 6,500
I remember this thread from 2015. DACs are like fashion, they go in and out of style.
DACs are like fashion only to the very shallow and brand-influenced. A good DAC sounds good forever.

May 16, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #6,369 of 6,500
My Dac is Starting Point Systems NOS dac of french designer M.Mariac with a minimalistic design.... I pay it a low price on Ebay.... it is miraculously good in my audio system.... After that I throw out any idea to upgrade it....

May 16, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #6,370 of 6,500
Wow,
Don’t hold back guys, what do you really think?
I must be stuck in a time warp.
My Beresford Caiman still sounds good........to me.
Perhaps I should trade it in for this year’s model.
What’s the fashionable DAC this year?

May 17, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #6,371 of 6,500
If it's the same sampling rate and source I actually think older Hifi audio used higher quality parts and sounded better. Like Vynil sounds much better than digital music. But where it matter now are the sampling rates. There were no DSD back in the day, but DSD is now avaiable to everyone.

May 17, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #6,372 of 6,500
Call me narrow minded or whatever, but my Chord Hugo 2 still gets the job done. And the Mojo diminutive in size as it is, still rocks nicely while traveling. H2 with LCD-X and Norne Solvine cable is a magic combination really.

Mojo with LCDi4 and Norne Therium is pretty darn nice out on the road. That being said, someday would love to audition some other DACs and amps.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #6,373 of 6,500
Last year I got an old prototype DAC from ECP audio, based on Delta-Sigma Wolfson chip, that I ended up slightly preferring to my Yggy - and at less than half the cost. I'm so over this ladder-DAC and Schiit hype machine. And yes, vinyl still rules by a fair margin, and reel-to-reel scales even higher than that!

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #6,374 of 6,500
Well, I might be walking backwards compared to the trend, but after a couple of years with a bit-pefrect DAC (Schiit Bimby) I've decided to "upgrade"/retrograde to an older, DS-based DAC design - the Antelope Zodiac Gold. These are now popping up in the 2nd hand market for reasonable prices.

A key determinant was the feature set of the AZG, with a seemingly endless array of digital and analog ins and outs. Will be interesting to compare its sound to the Schiit, that's for sure.

Jun 23, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #6,375 of 6,500
Ever since I purchased the R2R11, I haven't looked at another unit The price is absurd for the performance on offer, and I much preferred the tonality to the general one that Schiit goes for. As a matter of fact, I prefer this to mid-tier Thetas and any other from the sets that I had the pleasure to own during the years I've been into audio. There's very little I can fault at the performance of this new R2R design, I wouldn't hesitate to pair it with most gear and once again looking at the price, is just damn good buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back