Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 28, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #4,636 of 6,500

Burr-Brown was swallowed by Texas Instruments in 2000 - not sure if chips designed for audio applications are even considered 'core business' at TI, at least if their website is anything to go by. Analog Devices may have a sharper focus, but time moves on and I assume they move to new chips with improvements in manufacturing and design. I'm not an engineer, but no-one at ATI is looking at video cards they built in 2000 and saying 'Wow - we really need to revisit that !' : I realise audio isnt the same domain, but from a technical POV I think the emphasis is always on 'smaller, faster, better' when it comes to silicon.

Hi and thanks  lot for the very helpful advice.
I think that low power consumption is the present goal.   I am impressed by the usb headphone dacs for instance.
How it is possible to drive an headphone with just  5V/0.5A  !!!  unbelievable !
Still i hope that the Schitt new dac will show the way to all others for very top dacs.
I listen everything through a dac ... everything from news to music and movies.
And everything starts from a pc nowadays.
So i am extremely interested.
Thanks again,  gino

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #4,638 of 6,500
Quote:Srtillheart
My point here is that the Yggy isn't the only game in town.  Yes, it sounds good.  No, it's not the only R2R DAC you can get.  Even if we ignore the vintage stuff for a minute, there's still the Audio-GD DAC-19 which can be purchased brand new for $800, with all the accompanying warranty and service.  Will is sound as good as the Yggy?  Probably not.  But it's 1/3 the price and it's R2R.   

But,  but               it's NOT a YGGY... !   There's the problem.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #4,639 of 6,500
Quote:hodgjy
 I'm, I'm crazy.

We knew there was something we liked about you.  
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #4,640 of 6,500
Ok we get it, you don't want Yggy, but some people are willing (like me) to pay more to have a better sounding and reliable product.

Up to now there is precisely *one* comparison between iggy & other DACs so "better sounding" is still just wishful thinking. And same for "reliable", no sane person can say that after a few days. It may all very well turn up to be true but *at this time* you are paying for hype and proving stillhart's point.
Also agree with skeptic, there's quite a bit of theta hype around here too. We'll see... last time I checked patience was still a virtue.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #4,641 of 6,500
Up to now there is precisely *one* comparison between iggy & other DACs so "better sounding" is still just wishful thinking. And same for "reliable", no sane person can say that after a few days. It may all very well turn up to be true but *at this time* you are paying for hype and proving @stillhart's point.
Also agree with @skeptic, there's quite a bit of theta hype around here too. We'll see... last time I checked patience was still a virtue.

On the basis that a 1994 Theta V A is amazing according to many, I doubt the very same designer will step backwards with the final result after 21 years...

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #4,642 of 6,500

Again, for the price difference, you can afford several Thetas (or Monarchys or whatever), a nice USB transport and have money in your pocket.  Why stress about a warranty or service (points 2, 3, 4 are all basically the same) when you can just replace it when it breaks and STILL have money left over?

No they are are not the same. I was in the position of having a dead Theta, and besides the effort you do get left out without a DAC. And it's not easy finding where to service them.

I am really pleased you found a Theta recently. I am looking for one for a friend, and I know a few others trying to find one. I have not seen a Gen V in months. You may be luckier where you live, but that doesn't change anything. They are extremely limited supply, and it will not get any better as they break down and people throw them away, as you suggest.

They are great vintage DACs but people should be aware of the risks.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #4,643 of 6,500
On the basis that a 1994 Theta V A is amazing according to many, I doubt the very same designer will step backwards with the final result after 21 years...

That is, pretty much by definition, wishful thinking. It's not necessarily wrong or false..just wishful.
Also, your 'basis' is made out of a few words from a few people. Not necessarily wrong or false..just words.
Get a theta, get an iggy, compare them with 2-3 known DACs and than you have a base..and my ears..and possibly my money. Purrin did that and I'm grateful for his time and effort..but the bills in my wallet are kinda lazy and sticky and more than one opinion is needed to move them.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #4,644 of 6,500
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #4,645 of 6,500
My Schiit stack has been shipped yesterday ! :D 

But could take a while before receiving it ... Must traverse the Canadian customs .. :frowning2: 

Any experience here on how long it took from US to Canada ?

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #4,647 of 6,500

There's a funny anecdote that pops up from time to time in the sound science forum about some late 90's audio show when an elite group of golden ears were supposed to be getting a demo of a new megabuck cd player.  As a joke, someone swapped in an early generation ipod instead. 

It was either not is the 90's or it was not an iPod that they swapped with. The first line of iPods was released in October 2001.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #4,648 of 6,500
  It was either not is the 90's or it was not an iPod that they swapped with. The first line of iPods was released in October 2001.

This is one of the most perpetuated stories in golden ears lore.  I have my doubts if this really happened, or if it happened in the manner the story is slanted towards.  I think it's more legend than truth.  Did someone somewhere secretly swap about the new Uberdopplebargelconfabulator CD player for an iPod?  Possibly. But probably not in a real venue with real salespeople, marketing execs, and paid critics. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #4,650 of 6,500
 I'm getting a headache just thinking of the import fees on that...

0 $

Because it is made in USA and carried by USPS/Canada Post. It is under the NAFTA agreement. 

That's why I didn't take chineese stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back