Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 27, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #4,621 of 6,500
As much as purrin likes his Gungnir, I'd imagine one with the new Gen 3 USB module and some trickle down R2R goodness would be quite a dac. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #4,622 of 6,500
  As much as purrin likes his Gungnir, I'd imagine one with the new Gen 3 USB module and some trickle down R2R goodness would be quite a dac. 

I think Gen 3 USB is the most immediate trickle down we'll see.  If we see R2R trickle down, if ever, it probably won't be for a while.  I don't use USB, so it's just a matter of when I pull the trigger. Of course, as soon as I do is when the upgrades are released. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #4,623 of 6,500
  I think Gen 3 USB is the most immediate trickle down we'll see.  If we see R2R trickle down, if ever, it probably won't be for a while.  I don't use USB, so it's just a matter of when I pull the trigger. Of course, as soon as I do is when the upgrades are released. 

Murphy's Law!  Of course, Mike has been in here talking about he takes care of his customers, etc.  I know if I were considering buying a Schiit right now, I'd be very confident that I'd be taken care of should a new upgrade roll out shortly thereafter.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #4,624 of 6,500

Murphy's Law!  Of course, Mike has been in here talking about he takes care of his customers, etc.  I know if I were considering buying a Schiit right now, I'd be very confident that I'd be taken care of should a new upgrade roll out shortly thereafter.

Agreed. I'm still exploring DAC options, and Gungnir is at the top of the list.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #4,625 of 6,500
  Agreed. I'm still exploring DAC options, and Gungnir is at the top of the list.

There is going to be a flow of Gungnirs into the for sale postings soon.  

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #4,626 of 6,500
   (remember that Purrin has ruined himself)

Currawong makes good point.

There's a funny anecdote that pops up from time to time in the sound science forum about some late 90's audio show when an elite group of golden ears were supposed to be getting a demo of a new megabuck cd player.  As a joke, someone swapped in an early generation ipod instead.

LOL, my friends and I used do that all the time at headphone meets to **** with people. Have a bundle of wires cross-crossed and it's hard to tell what's hooked up to what. I'd **** with my friends on which DAC is hooked up during our listening tests.

--

There are lots and lots of options at $1K or under: Gungnir, X-Sabre, Emotiva, Lavry, vintage Sonic Frontiers, Theta Basic, etc. and many many many more. The only caveat in my head is Moffat at CanJam intimating upgrades for current Schiit owners. The questions would be when will these upgrades be released and how close would the multi-bit Gungnirs or Bifrosts be to Yggy.

I have not only ruined myself, but I also took upon a journey that led me specifically to the Yggy. Your own DAC journeys may be quite different.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #4,627 of 6,500

There are lots and lots of options at $1K or under: Gungnir, X-Sabre, Emotiva, Lavry, vintage Sonic Frontiers, Theta Basic, etc. and many many many more. The only caveat in my head is Moffat intimating upgrades for current Schiit owners. The questions would be when will they be released and how close would the multi-bit Gungnirs or Bifrosts be to Yggy.

Well hell, looks like I'll be waiting as long as it takes for trickle down Gungnir upgrades. It's not like my Bifrost is that bad.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #4,628 of 6,500
  Well hell, looks like I'll be waiting as long as it takes for trickle down Gungnir upgrades. It's not like my Bifrost is that bad.

You are aware that your Bifrost is upgradable. Right ?

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #4,630 of 6,500
A Theta just popped up on the marketplace if someone was keen to snatch one up, not sure how good that one is.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764439/fs-theta-ds-pro-progeny-used-beautiful-condition

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4,632 of 6,500
 headphone listening. I heard the same thing though with my cheap m-audio monitors. Even my non-audiophile friend commented how the sound was very 3D like

Thanks again. Sigh, as I'm still with my Bifrost and could go for something better. Yggy is still too far outside my price range, though. Gungnir is more within it.

You should really consider irDac, definitely better than Bifrost Uber

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #4,633 of 6,500
You should really consider irDac, definitely better than Bifrost Uber

I have, but I'm completely OCD and vain. I have all silver gear and the black irDAC would drive me nuts. Also, I can't stand walwarts. 

I'm, I'm crazy.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #4,635 of 6,500

I think TDA1543 can be fun sounding with good tone, but in terms of objectively good, accurate, or technically competent multibit chips, it's pretty far down there on the list.

Just think a lot better of everything it does and you'll start to have an idea when it comes to better multibit.

Hi and yes i read about its very low resolution
Unfortunately i have never had the opportunity to listen to a proper multibit dac
My only hope is that this new dac from Schiit would be so widely successful to make the manufacturers to reconsider producing multibit dacs, even if they are more expensive of the sigma-delta.
But this explanation of the high price i do not buy.
I praise a lot instead the decision of Schitt designers.  They wanted to make a TOTL dac and they selected the best part available.
100 USD for a fundamental component are never too much.
I think that the high cost is also due to the low quantities made.
Increasing numbers usually lower the price.
In the meantime i look around for a decent and old multibit
Thanks a lot.   Regards,  gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back