Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4,666 of 6,500

Indeed, it is rather amazing! Yes, based on my own experience with so many DACs, examining their designs, I can almost get a sense of how something will sound.**
  • The old TDA1540 (14-bit with 4LSB) and TDA1541/2 (16-bit with 1-2LSB error - this spec is very very doubtful, I've heard that it's no better than 15-bits, and even then it's probably worse than that.) as used on the Valab and TeraDACs. They also suck in terms of resolution.
  • The most resolving R2R chip I've heard is probably the PCM63 followed by the PCM1702 and maybe the UltraAnalog Modules...

I'm sorry both to be so late to the party and nit-picking on something that was written months ago.

I just wondered if you'd give your impressions of the ever-popular TDA1541 chip, in any of its guises?

Of course, I'm sure you know that it's the much maligned TDA1543 chip contained in the Valab and Terradac. Do you rate the PCM chips so much higher, that you think any difference between the 1541 and 1543 as irrelevant?

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,667 of 6,500

I'm getting a headache just thinking of the import fees on that...

0 $

Because it is made in USA and carried by USPS/Canada Post. It is under the NAFTA agreement. 

That's why I didn't take chineese stuff...

I forgot about that, thanks...considering how little electronics are actually made in the USA these days. Plus, I usually only buy from places where they're more relaxed about value declarations...Freakin government has to be the middle man everywhere.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #4,668 of 6,500
Alright, damn this thread. I just found/bought an Angstrom 200 from eBay... anyone heard how these things sound? Hoping it'll be sweet. Just going to use the Gustard U12 to feed it for now. I'd love to hear comments/thoughts/suggestions about this unit, or the Gustard...

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #4,669 of 6,500
Thanks a lot!!!

Keep in mind sometimes it takes 5 business days to clear customs, it doesn't always go through so quickly. I have been caught like this one or twice. In general 3 business days is normal in customs.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #4,670 of 6,500
Alright, damn this thread. I just found/bought an Angstrom 200 from eBay... anyone heard how these things sound? Hoping it'll be sweet. Just going to use the Gustard U12 to feed it for now. I'd love to hear comments/thoughts/suggestions about this unit, or the Gustard...
Apparently this guy liked it very much http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=337157

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #4,671 of 6,500

I've been considering picking that unit up for a while. (The one from TMR is probably the one you grabbed, no?) It uses a vintage Crystal (Cirrus) DAC that practically no-one knows anything about. 

So, if you get the chance to take some photos of the internals - including some closeups of the chips - that would be really useful.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #4,672 of 6,500

I've been considering picking that unit up for a while. (The one from TMR is probably the one you grabbed, no?) It uses a vintage Crystal (Cirrus) DAC that practically no-one knows anything about. 

So, if you get the chance to take some photos of the internals - including some closeups of the chips - that would be really useful.

Yeppers, from TMR via eBay... too bad it didn't come with the remote & manual. I will take a bunch of pics when it arrives.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #4,673 of 6,500
What did you buy ?! schiit stuff?

You have to make it shipped by USPS. UPS/Fedex are real thieves when you do international shipment. USPS and Canada Post have broker arrangement between borders. Takes a bit longer, but you pay a looooot less !!

Sure you have to pay the God damn 15% quebec taxes, but you have no custom duties to pay.

Yggdrasil… i will do that next time i buy an Yggy lol

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #4,677 of 6,500
It's too long to read.
The delta sigma Dac has a trouble in highs. Because the temporal resolution is not high enough?
The resolution of DS dac depends on the size of accumulator, 32 bit of Sabre chip, which is good in low and mid range.
Those range allows enough time to accumulate, but highs does not allow to accumulate that much.

Problem is that DS dac is not enough speedy to satisfy the audiophile's ears?
Multi-bit dac does not depends on the accumulation time so that it is consistance throughout frequency band.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #4,678 of 6,500
 I'm getting a headache just thinking of the import fees on that...

0 $

Because it is made in USA and carried by USPS/Canada Post. It is under the NAFTA agreement. 

That's why I didn't take chineese stuff...

Very true. I waited for two years for the yggy,. Where was it when our $$ were on par.LOL.
Anyways for Canadians, dont be scared of the duty, be scared of the excange rate.
I had to settle for less, as the yggy was just too much. Wish I could have though.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #4,680 of 6,500
Very true. I waited for two years for the yggy,. Where was it when our $$ were on par.LOL.
Anyways for Canadians, dont be scared of the duty, be scared of the excange rate.
I had to settle for less, as the yggy was just too much. Wish I could have though.

Both are close to each other and gets worse if theres duty involved really. If Schiit manufactored anywhere else the customs fees would be more than the exchange rate. 

CA$3143.24 

from that calculator above with 13% Ontario tax and without duty due to being manufactured in the USA. 

yeah...no thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back