1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by purrin, Dec 5, 2013.
First

Back
269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278
280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289
Next

Last
  1. Stillhart

Did you have any issues getting your Theta to work with the Gustard via Coax?  

2. wahsmoh

Still waiting on my Gustard to ship here :/

3. Stillhart

What are you using for a transport right now?

4. wahsmoh

S/PDIF pass-through from my HT Omega Claro + soundcard. I am using a cheap toslink cable to hook it up to my Theta. No degradation of sound I am sending a pure PCM stream at 16-bit and 44/48khz to the Theta. Toslink cables shouldn't matter anyways it's just light traveling along some plastic fibers.

I can still play everything from 16-bit/24-bit and 96-192khz without any noticeable degradation of sound quality. Is the decoding done at the sound card and the Theta can simply receive the PCM??

5. estreeter

With a 4-month waiting list and ~2200 USD in my Paypal account ? April 20, people, April 20 - it's a shame because this is one weekend where spending my days indoors would have made infinitely more sense than going out into this madness. The idiot brigade should be rolling down the highway from Bangkok by now - happy days ...  

tumblr_n3zfa0nWpP1sxb3k2o3_1280-4.jpg

6. Stillhart

You computer is probably downscaling it to 16/44 because of your OS settings.  There's a school of though that there's no effective gains past 16bit audio because we don't even use the full 16bits that we have already.  This could be why you're not hearing a difference.  

(I picked my words carefully there because it's not my intention to debate the 16 vs 24 thing in here.  There's a sound science thread for that.)

7. wahsmoh
    Oh a correction. I am using a HT Omega Claro Halo sound card. 

Looks pretty quality though.

halo.jpg

8. lukeap69
    LOL. So the Yggy gets the 2200USD from your paypal account then... [​IMG]

9. wahsmoh

Haha omg you have a really colorful community [​IMG]

10. haywood

Is he really? I thought that was a joke title because of his custom EC amp.

@Stillhart

Have you tried altering the power-on sequence of the different components? Like maybe the theta wants to be powered on last, or first, or second or whatever. It's also not unheard of for cables that work for one peripheral to not work with another, might be worth trying another coax cable or switch over to optical instead.

11. estreeter
    Colorful describes the language you'll want to use when they pour icewater down the back of your shirt. 

12. Liu Junyuan

Do you feel clever?

13. wink
    Not by half.

14. wahsmoh
    hahaha that may be so

15. Stillhart
    I have not tried that. With everything on, I was swapping cables between two source/transports and three dacs; every combination worked except the U12 and Theta. I even tried two different sources for the U12...

First

Back
269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278
280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289
Next

Last