Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 17, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #4,171 of 6,500
  Dear God... I just listened to the Bifrost Uber after sitting with the Theta for some time now...

the differences were more staggering than I could imagine.

I mean the Bifrost Uber is a balanced sound but it never breaks through the soundstage wall or pumps out serious bass rhythms or images as naturally as the Theta.

It always carries a slight tinge digital of glare to the entire spectrum of sound.

Bass of the Bifrost Uber is always tight, but it never gets anywhere near the bass presence factor that the Theta has.

I will do a more detailed comparison soon with more artists and genres. I was hoping for a better fight from my Bifrost Uber but nope.. it isn't even close.

I got this CD from this local band from San Diego. This was the deal breaker, I am going to sell the Bifrost Uber when I get a stand for my Asgard 2 to raise it above the Theta

Did you have any issues getting your Theta to work with the Gustard via Coax?  

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #4,172 of 6,500

Did you have any issues getting your Theta to work with the Gustard via Coax?  

Still waiting on my Gustard to ship here :/

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #4,174 of 6,500

What are you using for a transport right now?

S/PDIF pass-through from my HT Omega Claro + soundcard. I am using a cheap toslink cable to hook it up to my Theta. No degradation of sound I am sending a pure PCM stream at 16-bit and 44/48khz to the Theta. Toslink cables shouldn't matter anyways it's just light traveling along some plastic fibers.

I can still play everything from 16-bit/24-bit and 96-192khz without any noticeable degradation of sound quality. Is the decoding done at the sound card and the Theta can simply receive the PCM??

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #4,175 of 6,500
  Did you order the Carbon? 

With a 4-month waiting list and ~2200 USD in my Paypal account ? April 20, people, April 20 - it's a shame because this is one weekend where spending my days indoors would have made infinitely more sense than going out into this madness. The idiot brigade should be rolling down the highway from Bangkok by now - happy days ...  

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #4,176 of 6,500

S/PDIF pass-through from my HT Omega Claro + soundcard. I am using a cheap toslink cable to hook it up to my Theta. No degradation of sound I am sending a pure PCM stream at 16-bit and 44/48khz to the Theta. Toslink cables shouldn't matter anyways it's just light traveling along some plastic fibers.

I can still play everything from 16-bit/24-bit and 96-192khz without any noticeable degradation of sound quality. Is the decoding done at the sound card and the Theta can simply receive the PCM??

You computer is probably downscaling it to 16/44 because of your OS settings.  There's a school of though that there's no effective gains past 16bit audio because we don't even use the full 16bits that we have already.  This could be why you're not hearing a difference.  

(I picked my words carefully there because it's not my intention to debate the 16 vs 24 thing in here.  There's a sound science thread for that.)

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #4,177 of 6,500

You computer is probably downscaling it to 16/44 because of your OS settings.  There's a school of though that there's no effective gains past 16bit audio because we don't even use the full 16bits that we have already.  This could be why you're not hearing a difference.  

(I picked my words carefully there because it's not my intention to debate the 16 vs 24 thing in here.  There's a sound science thread for that.)

Oh a correction. I am using a HT Omega Claro Halo sound card. 

Looks pretty quality though.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #4,178 of 6,500

With a 4-month waiting list and ~2200 USD in my Paypal account ? April 20, people, April 20 - it's a shame because this is one weekend where spending my days indoors would have made infinitely more sense than going out into this madness. The idiot brigade should be rolling down the highway from Bangkok by now - happy days ...  

LOL. So the Yggy gets the 2200USD from your paypal account then... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #4,179 of 6,500

Haha omg you have a really colorful community 
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #4,180 of 6,500
  Purrin is with EC right?

Is he really? I thought that was a joke title because of his custom EC amp.

@Stillhart

Have you tried altering the power-on sequence of the different components? Like maybe the theta wants to be powered on last, or first, or second or whatever. It's also not unheard of for cables that work for one peripheral to not work with another, might be worth trying another coax cable or switch over to optical instead.

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #4,184 of 6,500
  Colorful describes the language you'll want to use when they pour icewater down the back of your shirt. 

hahaha that may be so

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #4,185 of 6,500
Is he really? I thought that was a joke title because of his custom EC amp.

@Stillhart

Have you tried altering the power-on sequence of the different components? Like maybe the theta wants to be powered on last, or first, or second or whatever. It's also not unheard of for cables that work for one peripheral to not work with another, might be worth trying another coax cable or switch over to optical instead.

I have not tried that. With everything on, I was swapping cables between two source/transports and three dacs; every combination worked except the U12 and Theta. I even tried two different sources for the U12...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back